• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best city in Arizona?

JDMacc

I have hopes to move to Arizona from California soon and I know that like other states, it has good and bad areas. I have heard that some cities are riddled with meth addicts. Can anyone enlighten me on which areas are better than others? Thanks in advance!

The Trickster

Any specific area of the state? Phoenix-metro, Tucson, Flagstaff, Prescott, etc.? Generally speaking, you will have an easier time finding work in Phoenix and Tucson than in other areas.

Last edited:

JDMacc

Any specific area of the state? Phoenix-metro, Tucson, Flagstaff, Prescott, etc.? Generally speaking, you will have an easier time finding work in Phoenix and Tucson than in other areas.

Phoenix and Tucson were the two locations I am carefully considering. However, from what I have heard Tucson is kind of crappy in comparison to Phoenix. I'm looking for apartments that are in okay areas and want to avoid the shady ones.

The Trickster

I've lived in the Phoenix-metro area since 2004. I've only been down to Tucson a handful of times and it seems like a much smaller version of Phoenix, though charming in its own strange kind of way...

Anyway, virtually all of downtown Phoenix is, in my honest opinion, a dump. You'd have to see it for yourself I suppose but I certainly wouldn't want to live there. Northern Phoenix, however, does have some pretty nice neighborhoods. If you can afford it, I suggest you do what I and many others do: live in one of the suburbs and commute into Phoenix for work if necessary. Some of the cities/towns that I know fairly well and have yet to see any neighborhoods that I would call crappy or shady would be Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Gilbert, Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, Scottsdale, and Paradise Valley. Good luck finding something affordable in the latter. Others that have plenty of good neighborhoods, yet have some not-so-nice ones (again, from what I have actually seen with my own two eyes) are Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale, and Peoria. I'm probably missing some, but that's what readily comes to mind.

Again, in virtually every locale, its pretty common to find a ghetto in one area and paradise in another. I've lived in some of the aforementioned communities in fairly nice neighborhoods, yet I could easily have driven a mile down the road to a ghetto. Best advice I can give you is to look up these cities/towns on MapQuest and then come for a visit and scout out some neighborhoods/apartment complexes.

Hope this info/advice helps and feel free to ask me any more questions, whether here or via personal message. Either way, good luck. :)

JDMacc

I've lived in the Phoenix-metro area since 2004. I've only been down to Tucson a handful of times and it seems like a much smaller version of Phoenix, though charming in its own strange kind of way...

Anyway, virtually all of downtown Phoenix is, in my honest opinion, a dump. You'd have to see it for yourself I suppose but I certainly wouldn't want to live there. Northern Phoenix, however, does have some pretty nice neighborhoods. If you can afford it, I suggest you do what I and many others do: live in one of the suburbs and commute into Phoenix for work if necessary. Some of the cities/towns that I know fairly well and have yet to see any neighborhoods that I would call crappy or shady would be Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Gilbert, Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, Scottsdale, and Paradise Valley. Good luck finding something affordable in the latter. Others that have plenty of good neighborhoods, yet have some not-so-nice ones (again, from what I have actually seen with my own two eyes) are Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale, and Peoria. I'm probably missing some, but that's what readily comes to mind.

Again, in virtually every locale, its pretty common to find a ghetto in one area and paradise in another. I've lived in some of the aforementioned communities in fairly nice neighborhoods, yet I could easily have driven a mile down the road to a ghetto. Best advice I can give you is to look up these cities/towns on MapQuest and then come for a visit and scout out some neighborhoods/apartment complexes.

Hope this info/advice helps and feel free to ask me any more questions, whether here or via personal message. Either way, good luck. :)

Thanks for your honest answer! This helps tremendously. I've been planning a trip down there for months now and might have some time off coming up to visit. Again, I really appreciate the help.

Paver1055

I live in the west valley, Peoria Glendale area and I love it. North and northwest valley would be my recomendations.

FreeInAZ

I hear you. I plan on moving somewhere where the people are not such asshats. Glendale is leading the pack so far. I'm liking the views and the space, but most of my neighbors are transplants from CA! They seem to think CA annexed this area & they are still in CA. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TOF

Once a metropolitan area exceeds a couple of million residents you will find many zones within that you like and many you don't like. We have plenty of asshats and plenty of good guys and gals in Arizona. Which one are you?

FreeInAZ

Once a metropolitan area exceeds a couple of million residents you will find many zones within that you like and many you don't like. We have plenty of asshats and plenty of good guys and gals in Arizona. Which one are you?

Well I like to think one who is thoughtful & respects others. One who would lend a hand to a neighbor or not try to run little old ladies off the road for not going 70 in a 35mph zone etc... So by the standards of North Scottsdale I guess I'm a asshat then. Which would you be? By your posting - one might assume you are one of their "good guys", correct? Oh that's right you live in the sprawling metropolis of "happy jack" so you know what you're commenting on right? Carry on...

Last edited:

TOF

Well I like to think one who is thoughtful & respects others. One who would lend a hand to a neighbor or not try to run little old ladies off the road for not going 70 in a 35mph zone etc... So by the standards of North Scottsdale I guess I'm a asshat then. Which would you be? By your posting - one might assume you are one of their "good guys", correct? Oh that's right you live in the sprawling metropolis of "happy jack" so you know what you're commenting on right? Carry on...

Yes I know what I am talking about. I have lived in several Arizona locations since 1940 including the large metro areas both before and after they became large. How many years experience do you have?

FreeInAZ

I bet more than you in Scottsdale. The greater phoenix area is now home to over 4 million folks. What was it when you were here, if you ever lived in Scottsdale? I can assure you things have changed. Carry on... Hey what's the population of "happy jack" again? Sounds like a nice quiet place, maybe real boring at times... no worries...you can always fire up the sat dish, hop on the net and try to pick a fight...that's the ticket...rolleyes:

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

i bet more than you in scottsdale. The greater phoenix area is now home to over 4 million folks. What was it when you were here, if you ever lived in scottsdale? I can assure you things have changed. Carry on... Hey what's the population of "happy jack" again? Sounds like a nice quiet place, maybe real boring at times... No worries...you can always fire up the sat dish, hop on the net and try to pick a fight...that's the ticket...rolleyes:

outstanding!

TOF

I bet more than you in Scottsdale. The greater phoenix area is now home to over 4 million folks. What was it when you were here, if you ever lived in Scottsdale? I can assure you things have changed. Carry on... Hey what's the population of "happy jack" again? Sounds like a nice quiet place, maybe real boring at times... no worries...you can always fire up the sat dish, hop on the net and try to pick a fight...that's the ticket...rolleyes:

If you have more than 25 years residency in Scottsdale you have lived there longer than I. The population when I arrived in 1940 was in the 60,000 region for Phoenix and very low for surrounding communities. Given that I have a residence in the Valley in addition to the one in Happy Jack, the answer to "when you were here" is 4 million plus.

Happy Jack is a nice quiet place where one can set on the porch and watch Elk, Deer, Fox, Bear and other critters wander through their property. When we become bored we only have to drive a couple of hours to reach our valley home. Once here (I am writing this in east Mesa) we are able to hear all the sirens and traffic noises that we desire.

For the OP:

There are many good areas scattered throughout the Phoenix and Tucson Metropolitan regions covering all income levels. I found that buying or renting if you so choose, in relatively close proximity to your work made the most sense to me. Transportation cost can be a major factor if you don't live reasonably close to work.

Come take a look. Hook up with a real-estate agent and let them show you what is available.

PS: Happy Jack also changes over time. We have DSL so no longer need a dish.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Might help to Google street-view around before making an in-person scouting trip. Streetview is cheap :D

I've used it house hunting and while it usually isn't good enough quality to really tell details of a particular residence, it might help get a general idea of the quality of the neighborhood. Course, nothing beats a local informant.