• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Justice Department released a study that showed firearm-related homicides down 39%

hadji

While working on another case, I was notified of this document.
It was just released about 10 days ago.

Checking OCDO, I did not see any mention of it, so I thought I would provide the link:
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf

This document shows that there has been a 39% reduction in firearms homicides from 1993 to 2011.

Most people that I teach a gun safety course to, think that the rate has risen in the last 20 years.
Their assumptions are incorrect.

hadji

amlevin

Yup. Firearm homicides have been in decline. Too bad our President and all "blind mice" that follow him can't see that.

What might be an even more telling report would be one that removes Suicides using firearms from the numbers.

Also note that less than 2% of "felons" obtained their firearms at flea markets or gun shows.

Also, School Shootings amounted to less than 2% of the deaths in this study.

Now if you listen to our ignorant leaders, these last two are the root of our problem with firearm deaths, even though they are in decline.

It's time to rub reports like these in their faces as often as possible. In public would be nice.