Thread: guns in a box?

guns in a box?

im new here and this isnt really an open carry question but i have been trying to find the answer and have come up empty. i was hoping you guys can help me. im in dallas county and i was wondering if i would be able to keep guns that are not in a case in my toolbox. i know in any other situation it would have to be cased but i was wondering if since the box is not a part of the truck, if it would be considered a case?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-23-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Changed title to conform to Rules

Hi. I found this regarding transport of firearms in Iowa:

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-I...t=483A#483A.36

483A.36 MANNER OF CONVEYANCE.
    No person, except as permitted by law, shall have or carry a gun
    in or on a vehicle on a public highway, unless the gun is taken down
    or totally contained in a securely fastened case, and its barrels and
    magazines are unloaded.

Q&A on Iowa’s new weapons carry permit law

Q: What types of guns and uses are we talking about?

A: Under Iowa law you can transport a rifle, shotgun or handgun without a carry permit as long as it is unloaded and secured in a closed, fastened container. You can also carry a loaded weapon while actively engaged in legal hunting or while target shooting on a range designed for that activity.

At other times, to carry any loaded handgun, rifle or shotgun or any deadly weapon concealed on your body you need a permit to carry, issued by a county sheriff.

Q: Does my Iowa permit to carry allow me to have a loaded firearm anywhere in my vehicle?

A: Yes. You may carry a loaded handgun, rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle; however this does not apply to snowmobiles or all-terrain vehicles (see Iowa Department of Natural Resources: Iowa Hunting Laws and Weapons Permit Applicability)

Iowa's permit to carry doesn't designate handguns, and is referenced to as a Permit to Carry Weapons.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/...tion.724.4.pdf

Sounds like with a permit, you can transport uncased and loaded. IANAL [I am not a lawyer]. Wish I could be more definitive.

Informational material:

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/weapons/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/...hapter.724.pdf
    Last edited by Fuller Malarkey; 05-19-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

the firearms would be unloaded. im just trying to figure out if having them in the tool box would count as them being cased.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter321 View Post
    the firearms would be unloaded. im just trying to figure out if having them in the tool box would count as them being cased.
    IC 724.4.
    4. Subsections 1 through 3 do not apply to any of the following:
    e. A person who for any lawful purpose carries an unloaded
    pistol, revolver, or other dangerous weapon inside a closed and
    fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to
    be concealed on the person.

In short, the "type" of case doesn't mean jack. Only the size and fastening.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter321 View Post
    IANAL, but I'm fairly positive it would count as them being unloaded and inside a closed and fastened container, assuming you toolbox has a latch of some kind.