• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

meet up in Lynchburg

papa bear

Hey, going to be up in the Lynchburg area doing some work for a few days next week. any kind of meet and greet going on. if someone want s to meet up let me know

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
We don't have any meet and greet planned, but there are surely some of us who meet up on our own occasionally who can join in for dinner some evening.

What days will you be in town? Fill me in and I'll do my best to make sure you have some reasonably pleasant company of other OCers. Feel free to post in here and then others who we don't always see outside of the forum can join in as well.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Never ask what day/time works for everybody - it just never works out.

Announce where you will be at, and when. Invite folks to meet you there. (If you do not know the local places, PM someone local (like jmelvin) for suggestions or an idea of what sort of place you want to eat at. Then announce it.)

Given a day's notice I'm willing to drive on down. (Maybe I should not say that - it might drive some folks away?)

stay safe.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Who asked "What day and time will work for everybody"? Nobody. We'll greet Papa Bear with open arms with 2 of us (the wifester and I) or plenty more when we find out when he's actually in town. I suppose we could even tolerate a cranktastic Santa Claus clone if we get enough notification to allow for it. :)

*Papa Bear has several ways to contact me so hopefully we can give him the chance to meet the unusual crew of Lynchburg. :p

papa bear

hey JMELVIN, I will be up there Tues. Wed, and maybe Thurs.. depends a lot on the rain. have to be back by Fri. for the gun show at Washington county. won't be able to make the picnic in Salem this weekend. I'll give you a call

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
For some reason I think that Papa Bear may be here with an 18 wheeler, so that may limit the choices away from places like Neighbor's Place or other spots with little smaller parking lots. I'd suggest "The Spot" over on Timberlake beside Big Lots if we need space for a large truck to park. The wifester and I are there about every other week or so and they have some of the best wings I've found in Lynchburg, in addition to good burgers and other foods. It's a family run business and they've been OC friendly with us and Jero and Mrs.Jero when we've been out there together.

The Spot (The Spot Eatery)
20722 Timberlake Rd, Lynchburg, VA 24502

*The restaurant doesn't have a website, but it is on Facebook as "The Spot Eatery".

The restaurant is in Timbrook Square Shopping Center with Big Lots between Greenview (where Lowe's & KFC is) and Waterlick (where CVS, Walgreens, & the BB&T are). It can be easily accessed off of US-460 either via the Greenview / Airport exit or the Timberlake Rd exit.

I still have to find out when he'll be here to know what's an appropriate time. 6:30 or after would likely work best on my end.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I reached Papa Bear and we'll be doing dinner at The Spot (see above) at 7 p.m. tonight. Hope others can make it. I've reached out directly to the Jero clan and some of their friends. I saw AMTilton last night and mentioned that we might be doing an impromptu dinner so hopefully he sees this and meets up with us as well.

The Spot (The Spot Eatery)
20722 Timberlake Rd, Lynchburg, VA 24502

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Well we met with Papa Bear, the Jeros, nuc65 and my wifester and enjoyed the company and the food. It was nice to see everyone again! Thanks Papa Bear for giving us a good reason to get us Lynchburgers together again.

papa bear

Thanks JMELVIN, i had a good time. hopefully i will have more work to do up there in a month or two. don't forget i am having a meet&greet in Mayberry. if y'all can make it that would be great