Thread: Google Glass - the next generation defensive recordings

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Google Glass - the next generation defensive recordings

Right now, Google Glass, which places a small computer screen above one eye and has a built in motion sensor, camera and microphones, acts like an extension of a person's smartphone.

It lets the user take photos and record videos by touching the side of the device or speaking commands aloud, as well as allowing them to give Web users access to the device's camera so they can "see" what the wearer is looking at. People also can use Glass to make phone calls, access Google's Web search, get turn-by-turn navigation information and receive text messages on the screen, as well as send texts using their voice.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...146013208.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The very first question we at CNET get about Google Glass is: "What is it?" The next two are "What's it like to wear?" and "Why would you want to?"

The frothing excitement around this prototype, titanium-framed wearable computer has the tech world tripping over itself in a mad dash for Glass access. Ten thousand or more Google Glass units are now shipping to beta testers and winners of the If I Had Glass contest -- for a $1,500 price tag. But the big what, why, and how questions remain.

http://reviews.cnet.com/google-glass/
    One party or two party consent?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    One party or two party consent?
    Many of us carry digital recorders. Some have video recorders - I have a dash cam also.

Still the answer to you question is dependent on the laws of each particular state.

http://www.uvu.edu/wrs/trainingmaterials/recording.html

As a general matter, the ability to secretly record a conversation initially turns on whether or not a reasonable expectation of privacy can be attached to the conversation. If there is no expectation of privacy to the conversation, any party to the communication (and in some cases any non-party) is generally free to hit the record button.
    http://wislawjournal.com/2010/06/21/...ng-is-allowed/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Who Has Your Back? 2013

Who Has Your Back? 2013
    Who Has Your Back? 2013 April 30, 2013 | By Marcia Hofmann

When you use the Internet, you entrust your conversations, thoughts, experiences, locations, photos, and more to companies like Google, AT&T and Facebook. But what do these companies do when the government demands your private information? Do they stand with you? Do they let you know what’s going on?

In this annual report, the Electronic Frontier Foundation examined the policies of major Internet companies — including ISPs, email providers, cloud storage providers, location-based services, blogging platforms, and social networking sites — to assess whether they publicly commit to standing with users when the government seeks access to user data. The purpose of this report is to incentivize companies to be transparent about how data flows to the government and encourage them to take a stand for user privacy whenever it is possible to do so.

We compiled the information in this report by examining each company’s published terms of service, privacy policy, transparency report, and guidelines for law enforcement requests, if any. We also considered the company’s public record of fighting for user privacy in the courts and whether it is a member of the Digital Due Process coalition, which encourages Congress to improve outdated communications law. Finally, we contacted each company to explain our findings and gave them an opportunity to provide evidence of improved policies and practices. These categories are not the only ways that a company can stand up for users, of course, but they are important and publicly verifiable. In addition, not every company has faced a decision about whether to stand up for users in the courts, but we wanted to particularly commend those companies who have done so when given with the opportunity. https://www.eff.org/wp/who-has-your-back-2013

Creative Commons License Any and all original material on the EFF website may be freely distributed at will under the Creative Commons Attribution License, unless otherwise noted. All material that is not original to EFF may require permission from the copyright holder to redistribute.

You do NOT have to ask permission to post original EFF material on a mailing list or newsgroup, to use an EFF logo as a pointer to us on your web site, or to reprint an EFF statement in a newspaper article. Permission to do such things is explicitly granted. Please do not write to us asking for permission, as this wastes our time and yours.

If you redistribute something you got from the EFF site, it is appreciated if you make it known where the file originated, so people can get more info or updated versions.

https://www.eff.org/sites/default/fi...t-20130513.pdf 20 pages 776 KB
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I'm wanting Glass, but they're not publicly for sale yet that I can find. As soon as they are, I'll likely wear it if I'm outside the house.