• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tulsa World - Open carry in Oklahoma is a non-issue

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.a...s_nonissue/20130520_11_a9_cutlin667238?subj=1

SNIP

When Oklahoma joined 43 other states in allowing residents to openly carry handguns last year, local law enforcement agencies didn't know what to expect. More than six months later, authorities and advocates say open carry has been a nonissue.

Gov. Mary Fallin signed an amendment to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act in May 2012 allowing Oklahomans with a handgun license to carry their weapon openly in public. It went into effect Nov. 1.

. . .

Despite the jump, law enforcement officials in Tulsa and nearby counties could not recall any problematic incidents.

"We've not been responding to any calls, we've not had any complaints, we've not been taking reports. No, no issues here," said Maj. Shannon Clark with the Tulsa County Sheriff's Department.

As of May 15, representatives with sheriff's departments in Tulsa, Osage, Wagoner, Rogers and Okmulgee counties, as well as the Tulsa and Broken Arrow police departments, had not experienced any problems related to lawful open carry.

"We have not seen anything alarming or attention-grabbing at all," said Tulsa Police Officer Leland Ashley.

Steve Emmons, executive director with the Oklahoma Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training, said his agency has not fielded or heard of any complaints, which is consistent with feedback he's received from departments across the state.

"I think it proves our point just a little bit that good, responsible people don't get in trouble with firearms and that thugs and hoodlums get into trouble with firearms every day," said Rogers County Sheriff Scott Walton.

. . .

Broken Arrow Police Cpl. Leon Calhoun noticed a man wearing a small handgun near the midway and said he paid special attention to the crowd's reaction.

"I was watching and nobody else even seemed to notice he was carrying it," Calhoun said.

For Bryan Hull, president of the Oklahoma Open Carry Association, responses such as the one Calhoun described aren't surprising.

"As we predicted, open carry has been a nonissue," he said.

Members of the organization have not had problematic encounters with law enforcement and only a few have been asked to show their licenses when carrying.

The group seeks to normalize lawful carry of a firearm. Hull said open carry affords them more opportunities to educate others and to have positive interactions with people who routinely approach its members and ask them questions.

"There are lots of people who are availing themselves of their rights to open carry, and doing so responsibly," he said.

Hull expects to see more licensed handgun owners openly carrying as the temperature rises, which can make it more difficult and uncomfortable to conceal.

okiephlyer

Broken Arrow Police Cpl. Leon Calhoun noticed a man wearing a small handgun near the midway and said he paid special attention to the crowd's reaction.

"I was watching and nobody else even seemed to notice he was carrying it," Calhoun said.

I think I may have been the one Officer Calhoun noticed. Walked right past him at the entrance and also another time on the other end of the midway. Event reported on our other thread about OC in OK.
Could have been someone else, my "small handgun" is a Glock 23 in a Serpa. Small by some standards and large by others.

Texas Tony

Does not surprize me.

The majority of people i know conceal carry. They seem to be afraid to open carry or think they have the edge with cc. I open carry all the time as i am faster to the draw and confident. That comes with practice, lots of it. I think that in time, people will open carry more and more than what we are seeing.

okiephlyer

Unfortunately, some of the most rabid anti-OCers in the state are the CCers. The group over at okshooters.com consistently preach against OC, all based on emotion, ennuendo, supposition, etc. If we could get them to come out of the hole they are in and support OC based on fact and logic, I think we would all see a lot more open carry around the state.

hrdware

Unfortunately, some of the most rabid anti-OCers in the state are the CCers. The group over at okshooters.com consistently preach against OC, all based on emotion, ennuendo, supposition, etc. If we could get them to come out of the hole they are in and support OC based on fact and logic, I think we would all see a lot more open carry around the state.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I agree with this.