• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open/Concealed Carry while geocaching?

OC for ME

Caution is advised if the cache is in a known high crime area....blah blah blah. As with any expedition the explorer must first study the terrain and prepare accordingly. The following is an example of past circumstances that resulted in a OCer being lawfully harassed. So, hold on to your vivid imaginations.

White dude or white dudes, in the hood, after sunset, visibly armed. Or, a black dude or black dudes, in the burbs, after sunset, visibly armed.

Anyway, some treasures and their retrieval involve more risk than some folks should be willing to accept. Let others more able or willing to suffer the consequences have their prize. But, this is my opinion, to each their own.

Personally, I have more productive things to do, not knocking the hobby by any stretch of the imagination. remember to respect property rights and while OCing comport yourself in a manner that will not harm OCers in that jurisdiction.

Good luck and be safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Must you comment on forum posts in a negative fashion when you find no interest in it? If you didn't like Geo-caching then why did you even take fifteen seconds to read the thread title, and click it, and hit post, and type in your nonsense?

The OP did not explain what geocaching was, did he? I gave a comparison. I have no comment about it creating RAS .. as it would depend on a case by case basis. Even a moron knows that....

davidmcbeth

Banned
Further evidence that you should not feed trolls by responding to them. It will only result in more foolishness from them, on and on it goes. After all is said and done, why bother? You've accomplished nothing in besting a fool. There is an "ignore" button on OCDO for just this reason.

Good advice, I will not respond to him anymore

Orion_13

I don't think that Troll has ever been to a cache that points to the center of a busy intersection and then has to figure out that the cache is actually underground in the sewer. Or, that the cache shows in the middle of a metal pedestrian bridge and the hint is magnetic so now you are searching the entire frame structure for it. Or, been in a valley that blocks out enough sats that you can't get an accurate lock to get to the spot you need so you have learn heading holds on the compass bearings in order to make it to your final spot. Or has had to work complex puzzles to figure out the actual location of the caches called "mystery caches". Or hit a level 5 difficulty to find on a Level 5 terrain cache. Those you either have to climb a rock face, repel down a rock face, or scuba dive to get to. OH, don't forget the one on International Space Station too.

Orion

b0neZ

I don't think that Troll has ever been to a cache that points to the center of a busy intersection and then has to figure out that the cache is actually underground in the sewer. Or, that the cache shows in the middle of a metal pedestrian bridge and the hint is magnetic so now you are searching the entire frame structure for it. Or, been in a valley that blocks out enough sats that you can't get an accurate lock to get to the spot you need so you have learn heading holds on the compass bearings in order to make it to your final spot. Or has had to work complex puzzles to figure out the actual location of the caches called "mystery caches". Or hit a level 5 difficulty to find on a Level 5 terrain cache. Those you either have to climb a rock face, repel down a rock face, or scuba dive to get to. OH, don't forget the one on International Space Station too.

Orion

Off topic:

Doh! Totally forgot about the ISS cache! Thanks for the reminder.

RebeccaC

Off topic:

Doh! Totally forgot about the ISS cache! Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah......I don't think I am going to ever get that one. Or any of the 15 hidden in Antarctica. :p I'll just stick to urban caches and some of the tamer nearby-woodsy-but-close-to-civilization-caches.

b0neZ

Yeah......I don't think I am going to ever get that one. Or any of the 15 hidden in Antarctica. :p I'll just stick to urban caches and some of the tamer nearby-woodsy-but-close-to-civilization-caches.

Lol the closest I ever got to a rough one was up at Lake Tahoe, which was submerged about 20 feet (I think). I let someone else who was much better at diving than I was/am get it.

I wasn't OC'ing at the time I was Power Caching, but I did come a few people in the more out-of-the-way spots who were.