• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stopped yesterday...

Sheldon

Yeah I'm an old fart, I turned 62 and was on the way to sign up for my SS when I noticed a MI state police cruiser go by, hit the brakes and a fast turn (yes I watch my mirrors) and head my way....

When he got behind me he hit the lights...
I had the cruse on my digital cluster set a 1 mph under the limit, had our seat belts on, this is a new car so no issues there.

So I immediately pulled over, hit the 4 ways, shut off the car, and as he approached I rolled down the windows and I greeted him with a "good morning officer"....
He asked for license, reg, proof of...

I undid my belt so I could roll right to get my wallet, handed him my DL and notified him of my CC, showed him my permit, he asked if I was carrying and I indicated yes He then thanked me for my disclosing, so it was a positive in that respect, he was polite.

then I asked why were we pulled over?

Ready for this.... my Dealer installed MI legal tint was too dark, (the back has privacy tint but not the front) and he said he thought it was a stupid law, as we removed the book from the glove box to get the reg n proof of he said never mind, asked if the car was registered to us, did a quick plate n DL run and was back in less than a minute and we were on our way....

Yes this was a fishing expedition, I would bet on it, it's the end of the month and they are a hunting so if stopped remember to disclose when armed ASAP and be safe...

Last edited:

jeffrey-r

Ready for this.... my Dealer installed MI legal tint was too dark, (the back has privacy tint but not the front) and he said he thought it was a stupid law, as we removed the book from the glove box to get the reg n proof of he said never mind, asked if the car was registered to us, did a quick plate n DL run and was back in less than a minute and we were on our way....

Yeah, it's disappointing that police are allowed to lie to us. There's no restriction on rear window tint and every LEO should know this.

MCL 257.709 Windshields and windows; prohibitions; rearview mirrors; exceptions; windshield wipers; exemption; hot air windshield defroster or electrically heated windshield or other device; windshield device; definitions.

(3) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(b) The use of a nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen, or other decorative window application on the rear window or a side window to the rear of the driver.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
yes, rear tint is fine. i was pulled over for speeding once. the state trooper made mention of my arizona legal front window tint, but didn't write me up for it. i would think that the officer would need to be carrying a light meter around with him to prove the level of tint was too dark.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yeah, it's disappointing that police are allowed to lie to us. There's no restriction on rear window tint and every LEO should know this.

cops are not required to have knowledge of any law or regulation .... buy we must know all 6,000,000 of 'em

see? the system works...

jeffrey-r

cops are not required to have knowledge of any law or regulation .... buy we must know all 6,000,000 of 'em

see? the system works...

Oh yes, it's great that "ignorance is not an excuse" and yet they don't necessarily know the law either.

However, in this particular case (Michigan Tint Law), I think it's pretty fair to say that EVERY police officer knows that law. It's not hard to remember, and it's an extremely common topic to come up. Hell, I've known the tint law since I bought my first car (and illegally tinted it...).

Mantioch

Any idea what made him suddenly single you out and perform such a maneuver to get behind you? Was it a red sports car? :)

Hevymetal

Just get a doctor's note for the tint. All my windows have 2% tint including the windshield. Cops look so disappointed when you hand them the note.

I have even had a few tickets issued by them saying "I don't care if you have a note or not.", but I got them voided by their desk sargent before the cops that wrote the tickets even finished their shift.

Point of note, the tint does give them PC (or so they say) for pulling you over. If your clean though you have nothing to worry about. Just the inconvenience of being pulled over.

Sheldon

Any idea what made him suddenly single you out and perform such a maneuver to get behind you? Was it a red sports car? :)

Midnight blue VW Passat TDI but the area I was in was by the highway and BC is a huge drug exchange area....

...turns out they were pulling over all the cars traveling down that particular sidewalk. And that's profiling. And profiling is wrong.

You must have been thinking about your last pull over, that and jump the curb with this car and you are down for the count, now if you have a redneck mobile that would do it with out taking out the front end....

Last edited:

XD40sc

Two things come to mind. Sign up on line, no 'take a number' and wait half the day (if you're lucky). I was near our SS office, and decided I'd swing in and get that task out of the way. There were so many people in the waiting area, every seat was taken and dozens were standing against the wall. Went home, and found it is easy and much more pleasant to sign up online.

Carrying into any building owned, leased, or rented by the federal government is not permitted in any state.

Evil Creamsicle

@Sheldon,

Disclaimer: Anything I say that may be construed as an insult, is meant in good fun unless otherwise explicitly stated.

PS: I like those TDI's, nice cars.

PSS: Your comment is especially funny to me... I don't have it anymore, but I had a 1988 Chevy Blazer that we lovingly referred to as 'The Redneck Mobile'... it was missing door panels and stuff, really wasn't much of a prize to look at, but dang, that thing was invincible. And I did drive over many a thing with it. I miss that thing a little...

Last edited:

Sheldon

Two things come to mind. Sign up on line, no 'take a number' and wait half the day (if you're lucky). I was near our SS office, and decided I'd swing in and get that task out of the way. There were so many people in the waiting area, every seat was taken and dozens were standing against the wall. Went home, and found it is easy and much more pleasant to sign up online.

Carrying into any building owned, leased, or rented by the federal government is not permitted in any state.

Yeah but I like to talk to humans, not machines that cut jobs, I refuse to use the self check out at the store for that same reason....
But if you get there early, or call and make an appointment, you are in and out of SS in 15 minutes, N yes I felt naked I left the HK in the car....

Now here is the conundrum for you.... SS here is in a private office building, not government property, yes the lessor can set the rules, but by MI law how legal is their no guns sign aka where is it written that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neUaSTSKFZc

Cultural literacy...try to keep up.

Bronson

I was trying (which goes against my grain) to be some what PC, and you are no Ron White...

@Sheldon,

Disclaimer: Anything I say that may be construed as an insult, is meant in good fun unless otherwise explicitly stated.

PS: I like those TDI's, nice cars.

PSS: Your comment is especially funny to me... I don't have it anymore, but I had a 1988 Chevy Blazer that we lovingly referred to as 'The Redneck Mobile'... it was missing door panels and stuff, really wasn't much of a prize to look at, but dang, that thing was invincible. And I did drive over many a thing with it. I miss that thing a little...

I have a 92 Jeep Wrangler like that, three kids the wife and 150K miles have not managed to destroy it, and it is a hoot to drive, but it is time for an engine rebuild... it may be time to give Quadratech a call http://www.quadratec.com/ they have parts for everything jeep!!!

Last edited:

XD40sc

Yeah but I like to talk to humans, not machines that cut jobs, I refuse to use the self check out at the store for that same reason....
But if you get there early, or call and make an appointment, you are in and out of SS in 15 minutes, N yes I felt naked I left the HK in the car....

Now here is the conundrum for you.... SS here is in a private office building, not government property, yes the lessor can set the rules, but by MI law how legal is their no guns sign aka where is it written that....

I was trying (which goes against my grain) to be some what PC, and you are no Ron White...
The law reads:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

So if they lease space in a strip mall, it is still illegal to carry a firearm into their leased space. Not MI law, federal law.

Ah yes, dealing with government clerks that are annoyed you want service, why would anyone give that up. Won't get out of a store 5 minutes quicker by using the self-check line, but to be checked out with a gum popping eye rolling checker, definitely don't want to give that up.

How hard is it to find a full service gas station so you don't have to pump your own gas. Nothing like the personal service of a gas pump jockey. Do they still clean your windshield and offer to check your oil?

Last edited:

Sheldon

The law reads:

So if they lease space in a strip mall, it is still illegal to carry a firearm into their leased space. Not MI law, federal law.

h yes, dealing with government clerks that are annoyed you want service, why would anyone give that up. Won't get out of a store 5 minutes quicker by using the self-check line, but to be checked out with a gum popping eye rolling checker, definitely don't want to give that up.

How hard is it to find a full service gas station so you don't have to pump your own gas. Nothing like the personal service of a gas pump jockey. Do they still clean your windshield and offer to check your oil?

Actualy the people at the SS office were kind, quick, and courtious (huh... what... in a government office???).

At the store no gum, usualy an older gal that needs the job, that actualy knows how to make change, and if we all were to boycot the quick machines for the sake of the 5 minutes (or less) that we save think of the extra help they would have to add....

That is kinda akin to taking the extra step hang the price and buying American when you can. I know not everything you buy but read the label and make a informed choice that will help.

Tucker6900

Yeah I'm an old fart, I turned 62 and was on the way to sign up for my SS when I noticed a MI state police cruiser go by, hit the brakes and a fast turn (yes I watch my mirrors) and head my way....

When he got behind me he hit the lights...
I had the cruse on my digital cluster set a 1 mph under the limit, had our seat belts on, this is a new car so no issues there.

So I immediately pulled over, hit the 4 ways, shut off the car, and as he approached I rolled down the windows and I greeted him with a "good morning officer"....
He asked for license, reg, proof of...

I undid my belt so I could roll right to get my wallet, handed him my DL and notified him of my CC, showed him my permit, he asked if I was carrying and I indicated yes He then thanked me for my disclosing, so it was a positive in that respect, he was polite.

Yes this was a fishing expedition, I would bet on it, it's the end of the month and they are a hunting so if stopped remember to disclose when armed ASAP and be safe...

Another thug in blue trying to fatten the governmental wallet with vicitimless crimes.