• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado a "Shall inform" state

mikeconcho

Hey guys,

I am very new to the OC and CC community. I am curious if LEO stops you just for OC, do you have to show them your ID if you are not breaking any laws?

Since Colorado is a shall inform state, does that only pertain to citizens when they are breaking a law? The shall inform part really throws me off.

Thanks,

Mike C. Oncho

JamesB

Hey guys,

I am very new to the OC and CC community. I am curious if LEO stops you just for OC, do you have to show them your ID if you are not breaking any laws?

Since Colorado is a shall inform state, does that only pertain to citizens when they are breaking a law? The shall inform part really throws me off.

Thanks,

Mike C. Oncho

Hi Mike, and welcome.

Colorado has no "Duty to inform" law on the books. I am not required to tell anyone if I am carrying or not. If stopped, and not driving, I am required to identify myself with name and birthdate. I do not have to show an actual ID.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
these must inform states are stupid .. cops should assume everyone is armed

I got $5 that says the police lobbied for that so they can have an excuse to get the serial number in plain view without probable cause or reasonable suspicion of a gun being present.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
§ 16-3-103. Stopping of suspect

(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

So you do NOT have to produce ID unless they have reasonable suspicion that you have or are about to commit a crime. If you are ever stopped by an LEO for OC and they say something like "Can I see some ID?/What's your name?" you can simply tell them no/you'd prefer not to provide any information. If they use a more forceful "Let's see some ID here" approach, ask them if they "have reasonable suspicion that you have or are about to commit a crime". Use those words or as close as possible. They will know that you know what you're talking about. The last time I used that line the LEO asked if I was a lawyer. If they say they do have RAS, you can certainly ask what crime they suspect you of committing and what "specific and articulable facts" they have regarding it, but they may not tell you that and you essentially have to comply at that point. It's best to have a recording device on hand for these situations. If they do not have RAS, you can simply walk away. If they have RAS, (I am not a lawyer so do your own research here) you do NOT have to provide an explanation of your actions if doing so could incriminate you. If they genuinely believe that you've been involved in something they should tell you what they know because they are in a position of trying to establish either probably cause or to rule you out as a suspect. If they had probably cause you'd already be arrested, especially for a firearms offense, so you'll have to use your own judgement as to what to tell them. You want to be helpful but you don't want to assist in a fishing expedition either. If you do start talking you can stop at any time. Finally the last sentence of 16-3-103 about the stop "not constituting an arrest" is only true to a point. They can't keep you there all day asking you questions and have it still be a "stop" vs an "arrest". Keep asking the magic questions "Am I being detained" and "Am I free to leave" to force the LEOs to let you go absent RAS/Probable Cause.

F350

Or you could just come over to the "Free Side" of the mountain and not worry about it. I have had Grand Junction police and Meas County deputies thank me for open carrying.

Vader33

(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

So you do NOT have to produce ID unless they have reasonable suspicion that you have or are about to commit a crime. If you are ever stopped by an LEO for OC and they say something like "Can I see some ID?/What's your name?" you can simply tell them no/you'd prefer not to provide any information. If they use a more forceful "Let's see some ID here" approach, ask them if they "have reasonable suspicion that you have or are about to commit a crime". Use those words or as close as possible. They will know that you know what you're talking about. The last time I used that line the LEO asked if I was a lawyer. If they say they do have RAS, you can certainly ask what crime they suspect you of committing and what "specific and articulable facts" they have regarding it, but they may not tell you that and you essentially have to comply at that point. It's best to have a recording device on hand for these situations. If they do not have RAS, you can simply walk away. If they have RAS, (I am not a lawyer so do your own research here) you do NOT have to provide an explanation of your actions if doing so could incriminate you. If they genuinely believe that you've been involved in something they should tell you what they know because they are in a position of trying to establish either probably cause or to rule you out as a suspect. If they had probably cause you'd already be arrested, especially for a firearms offense, so you'll have to use your own judgement as to what to tell them. You want to be helpful but you don't want to assist in a fishing expedition either. If you do start talking you can stop at any time. Finally the last sentence of 16-3-103 about the stop "not constituting an arrest" is only true to a point. They can't keep you there all day asking you questions and have it still be a "stop" vs an "arrest". Keep asking the magic questions "Am I being detained" and "Am I free to leave" to force the LEOs to let you go absent RAS/Probable Cause.

You make it sound so easy! Stories on this forum and other states' forums offer more to the contrary, though.

If stopped, don't be a D. If you have nothing to hide, just comply. I don't see why everyone's so against helping keep an already tense situation from escalating.

Sent from my iPhone in between re-loads...

Last edited:

F350

you make it sound so easy! Stories on this forum and other states' forums offer more to the contrary, though.

If stopped, don't be a d. If you have nothing to hide, just comply. I don't see why everyone's so against helping keep an already tense situation from escalating.

Sent from my iphone in between re-loads...

Papers!!!! You vill show your identity papers!!!

Last edited:

centsi

Campaign Veteran
You make it sound so easy! Stories on this forum and other states' forums offer more to the contrary, though.

If stopped, don't be a D. If you have nothing to hide, just comply. I don't see why everyone's so against helping keep an already tense situation from escalating.

Sent from my iPhone in between re-loads...

Everyone has to decide for themselves what is right in each situation. I believe that if the LEOs involved KNOW that OC is perfectly legal and they were called there by the public just to check up on the situation, then sure. Stop and talk to them. Be a nice guy (or girl). Let them know that you understand why they were called out, they probably don't see this all the time, they're just doing their jobs, etc. This let's them know that you're in a rational state of mind and that you understand what you're doing. Thank them for coming out and let them know that you'll be on your way. But if they ask for ID, I personally just tell them that I'd rather not. You've done nothing wrong and you'd like to be off now. I don't think that's being a D. However, for me, if I am spotted by LEO and followed and harassed for OC, I will refuse to talk to them or only ask them the legal questions as in CRS 16-3-103. I KNOW that they are there to intimidate me into not OCing, because they've said as much, and I'm not going to play that game.

About your point on keeping a tense situation from escalating, I personally think it's very important for the OCer to be completely comfortable with OCing. If you are nervous and tense, those around you will be too. Know what you're doing and be at ease with it. Understand the law. Know what you will do and say if the guy on the street or the store manager or an LEO comes up to you. Obviously the only way to get comfortable doing something new is to do it, but prepare yourself ahead of time. The more comfortable you are the less tense an LEO encounter will be. You'll put them at ease by being relaxed and informed.

mikeconcho

Awesome this makes me feel good. I certainly didn't want to have to give them my ID for doing something perfectly LEGAL!

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Machoduck

Contrary?

MachoDuck says:

Response: I think that forum stories support the idea that some cops don't act properly around armed citizens, while citizens, at least most OCDOers, are polite but firm. This response appears to baffle some cops. I think, generally speaking, that cops are more likely than deputies to play the intimidation game because their bosses (Chiefs) are appointed by mayors, where deputies bosses (Sheriffs) are elected.

Response: It should be clear to experienced open carriers whether the LE in question is honestly seeking information or is playing the intimidation game. In 20 years of carrying concealed I was never approached by LE regarding carry. I know what you're thinking; that they can't see my pistola. Well, there has been an effort to convince people that cops will KNOW when you're armed because they have all these secret professional means of knowing.

Open carry is a different matter. I've never had a bad encounter with a sensible cop. It always comes out, in the less than favorable encounters, that the cop had a sub rosa agenda, such as intimidating me into not carrying. A2, S13 of the Colorado Constitution has no verbiage telling us not to exercise the right to carry because it might make a tense situation worse.

mobiushky

Be careful. I've been told by CO LEO that the "catch all" RAS in CO is menacing. CRS 18-3-206.

I know there's about to be an argument about whether that constitutes actual RAS. Don't limit yourself to the statute. Read the HUGE list of opinions that follow. The one that will be used is this one:

"Menacing is a general intent crime requiring only that the defendant be aware that the defendant's conduct is practically certain to cause the result. People v. Zieg, 841 P.2d 342 (Colo. App. 1992); People v. Segura, 923 P.2d 266 (Colo. App. 1995); People v. District Ct., 17th Jud. Dist., 926 P.2d 567 (Colo. 1996); People v. Saltray, 969 P.2d 729 (Colo. App. 1998); People v. Shawn, 107 P.3d 1033 (Colo. App. 2004)."

I added the underline. Point being. If there is a MWAG call, the LEO's will stop you and will claim RAS under this general catch all statute. Whether you believe that is right or wrong is actually completely irrelevant. This is what they will do and they will not be adjudicated against for using this.

This is different from a simple cop sees you walking and stops you mind you. In that case, RAS would be difficult to justify. But if there is a call made to the police about a MWAG, they will use this to justify RAS. FYI.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
Be careful. I've been told by CO LEO that the "catch all" RAS in CO is menacing. CRS 18-3-206.

I know there's about to be an argument about whether that constitutes actual RAS. Don't limit yourself to the statute. Read the HUGE list of opinions that follow. The one that will be used is this one:

"Menacing is a general intent crime requiring only that the defendant be aware that the defendant's conduct is practically certain to cause the result. People v. Zieg, 841 P.2d 342 (Colo. App. 1992); People v. Segura, 923 P.2d 266 (Colo. App. 1995); People v. District Ct., 17th Jud. Dist., 926 P.2d 567 (Colo. 1996); People v. Saltray, 969 P.2d 729 (Colo. App. 1998); People v. Shawn, 107 P.3d 1033 (Colo. App. 2004)."

I added the underline. Point being. If there is a MWAG call, the LEO's will stop you and will claim RAS under this general catch all statute. Whether you believe that is right or wrong is actually completely irrelevant. This is what they will do and they will not be adjudicated against for using this.

This is different from a simple cop sees you walking and stops you mind you. In that case, RAS would be difficult to justify. But if there is a call made to the police about a MWAG, they will use this to justify RAS. FYI.

Felony Menacing is to knowingly place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury with a deadly weapon, ie intentionally pointing your gun at someone or threatening to shoot them. I've never heard of Felony Menacing being used to harass an OCer. The lower threshold RAS threat would be Disorderly Conduct: CRS 18-9-106, "Not being a peace officer, displays a deadly weapon, displays any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon, or represents verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.". The operative phrase there would be "in a manner calculated to alarm" which, in the case of an openly carried, holstered handgun, should be quickly dispelled by the fact that the responding LEOs are wearing their firearms in exactly the same fashion ("Are you displaying YOUR firearm in a manner calculated to alarm, Officer?") Yet even the "Disorderly Conduct" catch-all is BS. Remember, OC isn't just LEGAL, it is CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED.

If an LEO threatens to use Disorderly Conduct or Felony Menacing against you in order to get you to ID, run your firearm's serial or make you cease your activity, let them know that you are engaging in Constitutionally Protected activities and that their attempt to deprive you of your civil rights under color of law makes them PERSONALLY liable for damages under a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit pursuant to 42 USC 1983: "Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress." They are NOT immune as LEOs from a federal 1983 lawsuit.

The question here is not whether you're engaging in permissible activity. If you are engaging in prima facia illegal activity, while in possession of a firearm, you'll probably already be on the ground at gun point or at the very least the LEO won't stand there and argue with you about RAS. They will ORDER you to comply and if you don't they'll use force. This discussion isn't about that kind of encounter. In that type of encounter they already have RAS, even if their suspicions prove false, and they are prepared to defend their actions in court.

The question here is whether the LEO is willing use the THREAT of RAS of a crime to detain, ID and search you when they don't really have it. Why does the LEO even care at this point? They are either trying to intimidate you into not OCing or they are fishing (hoping you have a warrant, stolen firearm, some other illegal possession uncovered during the encounter, etc). But in reality they don't have RAS at this point. The MWAG call is NOT RAS. The Man with a Concealed Firearm call COULD be RAS, because CC is ILLEGAL by default (read SCOTUS Florida vs J.L. regarding when a MWA concealed gun call is RAS). OC is LEGAL by default. The MWAG call (holstered OC) is no different from "There's a guy wearing an expressive T-Shirt and it makes me uncomfortable". Get over it caller. If they had RAS, they'd already be using it. They don't, but they may still be willing to threaten you. What they really want, other than to intimidate you, is to gain your CONSENT to search/seizure via the threat. This is where it's important that you are recording the entire affair and, unless you are already planning on a lawsuit, you let them KNOW that it's recorded. More than likely YOUR threat of a 1983 suit, while the entire encounter is being recorded, will be enough to dissuade them from continuing the encounter. Obviously if push comes to shove, comply. If you end up having to give them your ID under threat of arrest, you'l have grounds for a 1983 suit for an unconstitutional search and seizure. If they ID you, they'll probably disarm you which adds a 2A violation and another unconstitutional seizure to the suit. If they run the serial # that's another unconstitutional search. During each of these exercises do your best to let them know in no certain terms that you do NOT consent to this search, you do not consent to this seizure and you do not consent to being disarmed, and that each of these violations is unconstitutional.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Yeah, sure. Tell ya what, ask Officer Friendly to produce his identification that has his home address on it and see just how far "if you have nothing to hide, just comply" gets ya.

Unless I'm purchasing alcohol, plane tickets or cashing a check, my driving license stays in my car. I'll never leave home without it and it's always just a short walk away if I need it. Do NOT make unwarranted, intrusive checks easy or they'll just continue and increase; such is the nature of such things, sadly.

mobiushky

Felony Menacing is to knowingly place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury with a deadly weapon, ie intentionally pointing your gun at someone or threatening to shoot them. I've never heard of Felony Menacing being used to harass an OCer. The lower threshold RAS threat would be Disorderly Conduct: CRS 18-9-106, "Not being a peace officer, displays a deadly weapon, displays any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon, or represents verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.". The operative phrase there would be "in a manner calculated to alarm" which, in the case of an openly carried, holstered handgun, should be quickly dispelled by the fact that the responding LEOs are wearing their firearms in exactly the same fashion ("Are you displaying YOUR firearm in a manner calculated to alarm, Officer?") Yet even the "Disorderly Conduct" catch-all is BS. Remember, OC isn't just LEGAL, it is CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED.

If an LEO threatens to use Disorderly Conduct or Felony Menacing against you in order to get you to ID, run your firearm's serial or make you cease your activity, let them know that you are engaging in Constitutionally Protected activities and that their attempt to deprive you of your civil rights under color of law makes them PERSONALLY liable for damages under a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit pursuant to 42 USC 1983: "Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress." They are NOT immune as LEOs from a federal 1983 lawsuit.

The question here is not whether you're engaging in permissible activity. If you are engaging in prima facia illegal activity, while in possession of a firearm, you'll probably already be on the ground at gun point or at the very least the LEO won't stand there and argue with you about RAS. They will ORDER you to comply and if you don't they'll use force. This discussion isn't about that kind of encounter. In that type of encounter they already have RAS, even if their suspicions prove false, and they are prepared to defend their actions in court.

The question here is whether the LEO is willing use the THREAT of RAS of a crime to detain, ID and search you when they don't really have it. Why does the LEO even care at this point? They are either trying to intimidate you into not OCing or they are fishing (hoping you have a warrant, stolen firearm, some other illegal possession uncovered during the encounter, etc). But in reality they don't have RAS at this point. The MWAG call is NOT RAS. The Man with a Concealed Firearm call COULD be RAS, because CC is ILLEGAL by default (read SCOTUS Florida vs J.L. regarding when a MWA concealed gun call is RAS). OC is LEGAL by default. The MWAG call (holstered OC) is no different from "There's a guy wearing an expressive T-Shirt and it makes me uncomfortable". Get over it caller. If they had RAS, they'd already be using it. They don't, but they may still be willing to threaten you. What they really want, other than to intimidate you, is to gain your CONSENT to search/seizure via the threat. This is where it's important that you are recording the entire affair and, unless you are already planning on a lawsuit, you let them KNOW that it's recorded. More than likely YOUR threat of a 1983 suit, while the entire encounter is being recorded, will be enough to dissuade them from continuing the encounter. Obviously if push comes to shove, comply. If you end up having to give them your ID under threat of arrest, you'l have grounds for a 1983 suit for an unconstitutional search and seizure. If they ID you, they'll probably disarm you which adds a 2A violation and another unconstitutional seizure to the suit. If they run the serial # that's another unconstitutional search. During each of these exercises do your best to let them know in no certain terms that you do NOT consent to this search, you do not consent to this seizure and you do not consent to being disarmed, and that each of these violations is unconstitutional.

I'm not arguing with you, but you do realize you completely missed the target there? There are 2 charges that can fall under CRS 18-3-206. You completely blew past the one I brought up and went right to the felony. Go back and re-read my post. I didn't say that the LEO would use felony menacing. Felony menacing is a specific intent crime. It requires that you intended to menace specifically and that the menacing was done with a deadly weapon. That falls under 18-3-206 (1) (a) or (1) (b). Simple menacing is the general intent crime and has a much less stringent requirement.

(1) A person commits the crime of menacing if, by any threat or physical action, he or she knowingly places or attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury.

That is the portion that will be used. Not the felony adder.

Also, keep in mind I did clarify that I was told that the LEO would not (at lease most) use that as RAS to randomly stop someone. What I said was that if there was a call made by a person that they were worried about a MWAG, the LEO's would stop you and use this "catch-all" to justify the search. And the fact is, they'd probably get away with it because the RAS applies to a general intent crime of simple menacing. This is what I was told by a LEO. I'm not arguing that it's right at all. Just repeating what I was told.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
I am not arguing with you either. We're both arguing with the idea that this would be used for RAS. But it WOULD be Felony Menacing because there is a deadly weapon involved. If I threatened to tear your arms off, I'd be committing the misdemeanor, but if my threats were with a firearm it's a felony:

(1) A person commits the crime of menacing if, by any threat or physical action, he or she knowingly places or attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury. Menacing is a class 3 misdemeanor, but, it is a class 5 felony if committed:

(a) By the use of a deadly weapon or any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon; or

(b) By the person representing verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon.

Last edited:

cmr287

Or you could just come over to the "Free Side" of the mountain and not worry about it. I have had Grand Junction police and Meas County deputies thank me for open carrying.

Same here in GA. I OC as well and have been thanked by bank tellers as well as LEO's within the community.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2