Thread: Be Civil, You Lynch Mob Supporters. A Crisis of Authority. E. Volokh and J. Taranto

Be Civil, You Lynch Mob Supporters. A Crisis of Authority. E. Volokh and J. Taranto

Iím sure Brazile sincerely believes that partisan self-righteousness and the churning of partisan passion into anger, indeed hate, ought to be removed from American politics. http://www.volokh.com/2013/05/21/be-...ob-supporters/
    In one breath Brazile urges everyone to be civil and respectful. In the next she labels her opponents with one of the most racially incendiary metaphors in the American lexicon. And note that she is casting government officials who abused their power as lynching victims. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...059152758.html
    The partisan divide is echoed on OCDO. It is illuminating who is standing with Donna Brazile, and who with the partisans, as the ranks are formed.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned

Be Civil, You Lynch Mob Supporters. A Crisis of Authority. E. Volokh and J. Ta

It depends on one's definitions of civility and partisanship.

I have a feeling that Brazile's definition of civility means agreeing with her, much like the Democrat's definition of compromise is totally caving.

To me civility means not going after the person, but going after the ideas. To me, also, civility is not always required. I will be civil if the person is being civil with me. That does not mean I won't go after behavior that is repugnant. I will always call people on that--and expect to be called on it myself when I cross the line.

I won't call people who are being civil with me an ass. I will point out something they did that would earn them the title. I will call people being uncivil with me an ass.

I am a partisan. I see nothing wrong with that. The Republican Party is deeply flawed. The Democrat Party is dangerous to the Republic. I will try to fix the Republican Party from the inside and try to put them in power. This is how the progressives did it. They took over the Democrat party and then put it into power. Liberty-lovers should do the same thing with the Republicans.

So before you call for civility and denounce partisanship, be sure to define your terms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Banned
    being civil is not shoving a red hot poker up their bum ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    being civil is not shoving a red hot poker up their bum ...
    I would love to help keep elected criminals warm for the rest of their lives.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)