• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illegal Seizure question

cap-n-ball

Similar situation happened with me on I-77 in Yadkin County a few years ago but the State Trooper was very nice about it and asked if the gun (an 1861 Navy Colt black powder) was loaded and asked if he could hold it until he was done. When he finished with the ticket (speeding) he placed it on the back seat and politely asked that I leave it there until after he pulled off. It was in plain sight, holstered and leaning against the transmission tunnel in my car.

crazydude6030

I am thinking that I might just keep a backup gun in my car so if one gun is stolen I still have one. Of course a jerk move would be to put it on the passenger seat while he writes the ticket.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
There are several but the most common is Terry V Ohio, where the court ruled that a officer can make a search and a seizure during a stop for officer safety as long as the officer has RAS. You were stopped for speeding so the officer had RAS, and you offered up the information that you had a firearm, which you did not have to do since it was not concealed. The courts may take your offering the information up as a consent to seizure of the firearm. Outside of providing the necessary information, drivers license, registration, and insurance it is best to keep your mouth shut. The officer had no RAS IMO that the firearm was stolen, or otherwise unlawful, so IMO he could not run the numbers.

1. After a person is temporarily seized (detained) for investigation based on reasonable articulable suspicion, Terry v Ohio requires three conditions for a weapons search and seizure: reasonable suspicion the person is armed and dangerous, and nothing in the initial moments of the encounter serves to dispel the cop's reasonable concern for his safety. (I've never seen that last point hashed out in a later case--it seems totally ignored by police, defense attorneys, and courts.) However, when it comes to traffic stops, another case gives cops more lattitude. Pennsylvania vs Mimms. The Terry court required two conditions: armed + dangerous. The Mimms court sneakily changed that to armed = dangerous. I say sneakily because of their sophistry in explaining their position while omitting to mention that they were changing the conditions given under Terry. So, Mimms basically is saying that a gun in a traffic stop is immediately seizeable for officer safety without further consideration as to whether the vehicle occupant(s) are dangerous.

So, unless NC law has more restrictive requirements, Mimms is going to allow the gun seizure in this case.

2. WW's comment about running the serial number on the gun raises an interesting point. In this case the gun was holstered. If the cop took from the passenger seat the holster (with the gun in it), then the cop may have needed to remove the gun from the holster to read the serial number. Arizona v Hicks makes it clear that even as little as lifting a record player to view its serial number is a search and thus governed by probable cause. A cop would need actual probable cause, not just an officer safety concern, to lawfully remove the gun from the holster to view the serial number. In the OPers case, we don't yet know whether the cop ran the serial number, nor whether the serial number is still visible while holstered as, for example, engraved on the grip frame; so, we can't say this cop illegally ran the serial number. But, WW touches on an interesting point.

Links to cases mentioned above.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Your-4th-and-5th-Amendment-Resources-Here!!&

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Similar situation happened with me on I-77 in Yadkin County a few years ago but the State Trooper was very nice about it and asked if the gun (an 1861 Navy Colt black powder) was loaded and asked if he could hold it until he was done. When he finished with the ticket (speeding) he placed it on the back seat and politely asked that I leave it there until after he pulled off. It was in plain sight, holstered and leaning against the transmission tunnel in my car.

Well, that would be one way to avoid the indignity of having your gun returned to you unloaded--carry a cap-and-ball revolver that is really difficult and time consuming to unload. :D