• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Nolle Prosequi" and "Good Cause Shown" - Why it's important to us

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If the criminal justice system were to refocus on JUSTICE instead of individual "Brownie points" then a lot of these issues would resolve themsleves.

User or Skidmark, what else can a Prosecutor or Judge do in lieu of the nolle pros that would prevent a refiling of charges? Why does the Commonwealth reserve the right to retry in many cases?

As has been mentioned, the Commonwealth Attorney can ask, or the judge can order that the case be dismissed with prejudice to the Commonwealth. It is important to have those five little words as part of the court order, for otherwise it means you could be back in the courtroom at an even more disadvntagious time.

As for why CAs sem to nolle prosequi in so many cases? As the legalese writers are wont to say, upon belief and information it is a toss-up between 1) sheer laziness (failure to investigate the case ahead of time to determine they even had a chance of prevailing); 2) face-saving CYA/professional courtesy (the cop brings a bogus charge that the CA knows they cannot win on, but the CA does not want to admit it in front of the judge); and 3) my all-time favorite - they walked into court expecting a quick guilty plea in exchange for a "light" sentence and find themselves up against a rogue attorney who is prepared and [strike]ready[/strike] insisting the trial begin (Release the lions; the Christians have arrived?). Actually using the nolle prosequi procedure to hold something over the defendant's head (pure malice) seems to be way down on the list of reasons. If they wanted to have a hold against the defendant they would be better served by improperly asking for a term of probation that is longer than the maximum sentence for the crime.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As has been mentioned, the Commonwealth Attorney can ask, or the judge can order that the case be dismissed with prejudice to the Commonwealth. It is important to have those five little words as part of the court order, for otherwise it means you could be back in the courtroom at an even more disadvntagious time.

As for why CAs sem to nolle prosequi in so many cases? As the legalese writers are wont to say, upon belief and information it is a toss-up between 1) sheer laziness (failure to investigate the case ahead of time to determine they even had a chance of prevailing); 2) face-saving CYA/professional courtesy (the cop brings a bogus charge that the CA knows they cannot win on, but the CA does not want to admit it in front of the judge); and 3) my all-time favorite - they walked into court expecting a quick guilty plea in exchange for a "light" sentence and find themselves up against a rogue attorney who is prepared and [strike]ready[/strike] insisting the trial begin (Release the lions; the Christians have arrived?). Actually using the nolle prosequi procedure to hold something over the defendant's head (pure malice) seems to be way down on the list of reasons. If they wanted to have a hold against the defendant they would be better served by improperly asking for a term of probation that is longer than the maximum sentence for the crime.

stay safe.

It's an interesting world we live in Skid.
The reality is that a majority of people arrested actually did what they're accused of. They hire an attorney to get a nolle prosequi out of the Commonwealth and are delighted when and if it happens.

The others that are innocent or at least not guilty, hire an attorney to fight for them in court, not make deals. Unfortunately there are darned few lawyers left in this state that are up to the game, at least in criminal defense. Lots of bean counting lawyers which is where the easy fighting money is, but not criminal.

Most Commonwealths Attorney's are like Judges. They wouldn't be doing that job if they were any good as a lawyer. Using the Nolle tactic is a convenient way to avoid taking on cases that are beyond their ability. Voters don't like to see a losing track record.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The reality is that a majority of people arrested actually did what they're accused of. They hire an attorney to get a nolle prosequi out of the Commonwealth and are delighted when and if it happens.

The others that are innocent or at least not guilty, hire an attorney to fight for them in court, not make deals. Unfortunately there are darned few lawyers left in this state that are up to the game, at least in criminal defense. Lots of bean counting lawyers which is where the easy fighting money is, but not criminal.

Most Commonwealths Attorney's are like Judges. They wouldn't be doing that job if they were any good as a lawyer. Using the Nolle tactic is a convenient way to avoid taking on cases that are beyond their ability. Voters don't like to see a losing track record.

Excellent point about a losing track record ... its why I fully support elected positions including DAs and judges ...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Excellent point about a losing track record ... its why I fully support elected positions including DAs and judges ...

David...this is Virginia. There are no DA's. There are CA's which are elected Constitutional Officers.
I'm not in favor of elected Judges. You would have politicians instead of Judges.
A solution I've always liked is requiring every lawyer to do a short term as a Judge much like jury duty.

My father (another of those bloodsucking Lawyers) did agree with election though. Just not in the conventional way.

Let the People Judge the Judges: Reforming Virginia's Judicial Selection Proces.
For Virginia Business
The writer is a Harrisonburg attorney in practice since 1957.

Judicial selection in the States is an important, diverse, and controversial process. State judges impact every arena of life with their decisions, from traffic to criminal court. And through this century, the debate has persisted over what is the best way to select these judges. In Virginia, the state constitution gives the General Assembly the right to choose judges, one of very few states to use this method. Most of the other states use some form of popular election or gubernatorial appointment. "To outsiders, Virginia's system of lawmakers electing judges looks quirky and even unfair, a cloistered system of good ol' boys looking out for each other." Perhaps there is a reason that Virginia is in by far the minority on the judicial selection issue. There are too many flaws in a system that gives the legislature exclusive power to appoint and remove judges at its pleasure. Virginia's system as it is now is "a highly partisan process that Democrats had lorded over while they were in power, and one that state Republicans seem to be relishing now that they're in the majority." Virginia needs to rethink the way it chooses its judges. more

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member

I think that many people, who never having been exposed to the 'system' only learn about this upon being exposed, or perhaps reading on a forum like this. How many other states use noble prosequi?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think that many people, who never having been exposed to the 'system' only learn about this upon being exposed, or perhaps reading on a forum like this. How many other states use noble prosequi?

I would think all states whose system is based on English law or the Napoleonic Code - I'm guessing all 57 states :p

user

Accomplished Advocate
If the criminal justice system were to refocus on JUSTICE instead of individual "Brownie points" then a lot of these issues would resolve themsleves.

User or Skidmark, what else can a Prosecutor or Judge do in lieu of the nolle pros that would prevent a refiling of charges? Why does the Commonwealth reserve the right to retry in many cases?

As MKEGal observed, the court could simply dismiss the action with prejudice; that closes it down forever. Or the court could require the prosecutor to go to trial.

The problem I'm concerned with is when someone is really not guilty of any crime and they're prosecuting him just to jerk him around. I think that guy ought to be entitled to closure; there ought to be a limit to the jerking. In the case my friend's got right now, it's sort of the opposition problem; he represents the victim who wants the badguy who really is guilty of the crime prosecuted. The irony here is that it's the same prosecutor's office which was arguing for vigorous enforcement when the defendant was a cop from Culpeper, but they don't want to prosecute the female perpetrator in what's really an extended domestic relations dispute. That seems to be an inconsistent policy to me. Either they're interested in prosecuting crimes or they're not.

The court listened to the argument and decided to think about it; I believe the decision will be announced on this coming Friday, 5/31/2013.

user

Accomplished Advocate

It's unfortunate that the public schools' notion of "civics" covers only a highly propagandized view of federal / state relationships. I think everyone in America ought to know how the local government works, especially the courts. I'll betcha most of the people who teach those courses don't have a clue. The guy who taught that course in the high school I went to was a retired Army colonel; a very nice guy but a horrible teacher whose notion of "civics" had to do with why Barry Goldwater was a good guy and why we ought to all tell our parents to vote for Nixon. (I voted for Nixon, myself in 1972.)

user

Accomplished Advocate

Actually, the problem is generally not competence, but cost. If the Commonwealth had to actually go to trial on every case, each traffic ticket would take a year and the taxes would have to go up dramatically to cover the increased cost. At present, over ninety per-cent of all criminal cases are terminated by plea bargain, and that's generally good for everyone. In the case where the C/w agrees to nolle pros. a case pursuant to a plea agreement (an instance, I would note, in which there actually is "good cause shown") there's usually some terms imposed: the defendant has to go to anger management classes, do community service, or some such; or in the alternative, agree to plead guilty to a companion charge ("We'll nolle pros. the DUI if your client pleads to the refusal.").

My complaint is where they want to do a nolle pros. where there is no good cause. We elect and pay these guys to do a job, after all. And where it would be just and proper simply to allow a case to be dismissed, that's what they ought to do. I think it's unethical not to dismiss a case where they have good reason to believe that the defendant is not in fact guilty of the crime. See sub-paragraph (a) of the disciplinary rule below:

Additional Responsibilities Of A Prosecutor., Prof. Conduct Rule 3.8 (2000):
A lawyer engaged in a prosecutorial function shall:

(a) not file or maintain a charge that the prosecutor knows is not supported by probable cause;

(b) not knowingly take advantage of an unrepresented defendant;

(c) not instruct or encourage a person to withhold information from the defense after a party has been charged with an offense;

(d) make timely disclosure to counsel for the defendant, or to the defendant if he has no counsel, of the existence of evidence which the prosecutor knows tends to negate the guilt of the accused, mitigate the degree of the offense, or reduce the punishment, except when disclosure is precluded or modified by order of a court; and

(e) not direct or encourage investigators, law enforcement personnel, employees or other persons assisting or associated with the prosecutor in a criminal case to make an extrajudicial statement that the prosecutor would be prohibited from making under Rule 3.6.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually, the problem is generally not competence, but cost. If the Commonwealth had to actually go to trial on every case, each traffic ticket would take a year and the taxes would have to go up dramatically to cover the increased cost. At present, over ninety per-cent of all criminal cases are terminated by plea bargain, and that's generally good for everyone. In the case where the C/w agrees to nolle pros. a case pursuant to a plea agreement (an instance, I would note, in which there actually is "good cause shown") there's usually some terms imposed: the defendant has to go to anger management classes, do community service, or some such; or in the alternative, agree to plead guilty to a companion charge ("We'll nolle pros. the DUI if your client pleads to the refusal.").

My complaint is where they want to do a nolle pros. where there is no good cause. We elect and pay these guys to do a job, after all. And where it would be just and proper simply to allow a case to be dismissed, that's what they ought to do. I think it's unethical not to dismiss a case where they have good reason to believe that the defendant is not in fact guilty of the crime. See sub-paragraph (a) of the disciplinary rule below:

Additional Responsibilities Of A Prosecutor., Prof. Conduct Rule 3.8 (2000):

In an almost perfect world. Sub-titled: How it is supposed to be.

jlhawk

Hello,

First I want to apologize for bringing this thread back up after nearly 2 months.

I am the victim of this violent crime and I found this thread while researching Crime Victims rights.

My attorney and I went to a hearing today on the appeal of the denial to the motion to intervene. The court said the appeal form was filed incorrectly and then ruled that it didn't have jurisdiction to hear the merits of the case but then went ahead and ruled on the case anyway. The judge then awarded sanctions against my attorney.

I have read through this entire thread and I appreciate many of the comments here, I was hoping to find actions that I can take to hold my attackers accountable for their crime.

During my defense of their allegations, it was blatantly obvious that they were lying. The "biter" claims I had my right hand around her neck. She was sitting in the driver seat of my 2008 suburban and I was in the passenger seat. The "biter" then claims she had to bite me for me to release my grip on her neck. During my defense trial, the "biter" was asked to demonstrate how that is possible. Go ahead and try it. Put a hand to your own neck then try to just kiss your arm. Doesn't really work does it. Now let's just assume the "biter" had been able to bite my arm while I had a hand on her neck. I still have a bite mark from where she bit me. It is on the underside of my arm, not on the top where a bite would have occurred if I had a hand on her throat.

Now comes the "slapper." Her story was that she saw me choking the "biter" and came over to "rescue" the "bitter." But she did not see the biting. If the "biter" was biting me to get me to release my hand and the "slapper" saw me with my hand on the "biter's" neck, then wouldn't the "slapper" also have seen the biting? Then after the supposed "rescue" the "slapper" began slapping me repeatedly.

Then the "ex-wife" also claims she saw me with my hands (plural) around the "biter's" neck. The "ex-wife" remained at the rear of the suburban and never came up to where I was being attacked. There is no way she would have been able to see any of the confrontation.

The "biter," "slapper," and "ex-wife" all also had different stories on the location of the suburban.

They presented their case in front of the court and it was dismissed on a motion to strike. The CA was there to hear the absurdity of their claims. One person was saying the suburban was facing this way and moved from here to there. Another person said it was a different way and only moved back and forth. Yet another person said it didn't move at all. And the Officer said it was in a totally different location also. There is no way the CA that was prosecuting me believed a word they were saying.

There is a WHOLE ton more to this story but I don't feel like typing that all out right now. The issue at hand is the CA will not prosecute the true criminals for reasons that I believe are personal and I am looking for legal ways to hold my attackers accountable for their actions in criminal court. If you have any idea's please let me know.

Thanks.

Below my own comments, there's a little commentary I got from a friend of mine who's representing a guy who's been attacked by his ex-wife's relatives; they initially got a warrant against him, fraudulently, and he was acquitted. He sued for malicious prosecution and won a judgment against them. Then he went to the magistrate and got a warrant against one of them for having bitten him - could have been charged as a felony, "malicious wounding", but the warrant was issued for a misdemeanor. The woman who was assistant Commonwealth's Attorney in the first case had already said she wouldn't prosecute the case against him; it appears to me as though she's treating this personally, and taking it as a "poor persecuted woman" against the "evil abusive man". In fact, the ex-wife's entire family appears to be in what I call "victim mode", and I think that they're hyper-defensive, lying, manipulative, deceptive, evil people. So when the case came up, the prosecutor "nolle pros'ed" the case - dismissed just because the prosecutor doesn't want to prosecute.

The thing is that the statute allowing the prosecutor not to do his duty to the public by prosecuting cases requires "good cause shown" - i.e., an evidentiary basis why the Commonwealth should not go forward with the prosecution. And none was offered in this (or most) cases - I've had judges tell me that the convenience of the prosecutor is good cause enough - the mere fact that they don't feel like it is good enough. Sometimes, as in my friend's case, the real cause is that the prosecutor has a cozy or sympathetic relationship with the perpetrator, and is treating the office like a personal fiefdom rather than an impersonal administrator of justice.

The problem for us is that I often, in fact usually, don't go to trial on the cases in which I represent people charged with crimes. They're almost always nolle pros'ed. I object because I think my client is entitled to absolute dismissal, and failing the Commonwealth's agreement or a judge's order as to that, I want to go to trial and show that my client is not guilty. I think he's entitled to an acquittal, absolutely and forever.

The problem with a nolle pros. is that it's a dismissal without prejudice to the Commonwealth's right to charge and prosecute for the same offense again at any time within the original statute of limitations. There's no "double jeopardy" issue with a nolle pros. So my client has this potential charge hanging over his head, for a year from the original incident for misdemeanors, and indefinitely for felonies. His alternative is an expensive action for declaratory judgment to the effect that he is not guilty of the crime, and no one ever does that. I object when the Commonwealth takes a nolle pros. like that, and the court notes the objection, but that and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee at gun-friendly Starbucks.

So let's say my client is charged with carrying a concealed weapon because he had the gun secured in a closed container within his vehicle. He has to hire me and pay my fee and waste a day going to court only to have the prosecutor decline to prosecute. The judge rubber-stamps the prosecutor's decision by failing to require "good cause shown". The client can't then go and sue for malicious prosecution, at least not right away, because they could retaliate by charging him again for the same offense, and at that point, one has to assume that they will bend the truth in order to get a conviction.

The answer is political, in my view. We need to exert pressure on the courts, via the legislature, and possibly the executive secretary of the Va. Sup. Ct., to require judges to make sure the prosecutors do the job they were elected to do. And Commonwealth's Attorneys who allow their assistants to work this way need to be un-elected.

This case is pending in the General District Court for the County of Fauquier in Warrenton.

countryclubjoe

A Nolle Proseque is considered an unlitigated matter therefore could effect your 1983 civil litigation. You should oppose the prosecutors motion an file a motion to dismiss with prejudice.

A Nolle Proseque also gives immunity to the prosecutor(state actors) from a "Malicious Prosecution" action.

My .02

Best regards,

CCJ