• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sb221

tonnere

SB221 is gonna hit the Senate floor. It will require a FFL to conduct a background check on person to person firearms transfers. Contact your Senator in Carson City to shut this bill down.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
The big argument against voter ID is that the poor and minorities don't have ID.

Yet now they are going to require the same poor and minorities to have ID -- and pay extra fees -- if they want to protect their families from the violent criminals who won't pay any attention to the law they want to pass.

Why do they only want rich people to have guns?

FMCDH

The big argument against voter ID is that the poor and minorities don't have ID.

Yet now they are going to require the same poor and minorities to have ID -- and pay extra fees -- if they want to protect their families from the violent criminals who won't pay any attention to the law they want to pass.

Why do they only want rich people to have guns?

Because rich people are easier to control, as they have more to lose.

Rich people can also "pay" more for the privilege.

The Big Guy

What is the NVFAC doing about this?

Will the NVFAC be able to stop this?

Ken
Unfortunately the NVFAC does not get a vote on the Senate floor. All they can do is lobby and ask members to contact their state Senators and pass it along to their contacts asking that they call their Senators also. This they have been doing. I have been getting several reminders from them a day on this...TBG

varminter22

Thanks, Steve, for the vote of confidence. I sincerely appreciate that. And even though I've tried to be involved as much as possible, I really wish I could have done more. That said, I doubt I/we could have done much if anything more. Its been pretty much a "defensive" session - simply a sign of the times and a result of the last election (the Democrats retained a slim majority in the senate and a huge majority in the assembly.) NVFAC has been actively engaged. SB-221 is a prime example, passing the senate on strict party line voting (11 Dems AYE and 10 Reps NAY.) We'll have a battle in the assembly, but SB-221 will likely pass on similarly strict party line voting. Standby; we'll have to actively engage the governor to veto the bill; and I think there is a good chance he will do just that.

wrightme

Well they got us some fancy lobby group this year. And we got nothing in return. I wish Larry and the folks at Stillwater were still leading the charge. They got things done.

Steve, you have a polyanna view of what can be accomplished.

Given what our side is up against in the legislature, it didn't matter who was 'leading the charge.' What matters is, getting those who force these bills through, out.

Just because the results do not meet our desires, does not mean those you dislike were not doing their utmost. But, if the NVFAC would have been able to go in there and show a 10,000 membership, who knows how this would have turned out.

The reality is that in this case, it didn't matter WHO was fighting against what was pressed through by the anti-gun crew; the end result would be the same.

As example with campus carry in the past, and this session. It didn't matter how much the sfa and larry wanted it heard, the cmte chair refused, even though the votes for passage to the floor were there. When we are up against that, there ain't much that can be done. It could have been the GOA or NAGR in the hearing, and the same outcome would have happened.

But, if you really want to help make a positive impact, lead the charge yourself next time, but above all, STOP THE DAMN INFIGHTING AND JOIN FORCES INSTEAD OF DIVIDING FORCES!

NOTE: Nothing for NV legislative from the GOA it seems.....
NOTE: Nothing from the NAGR that I can find either.....
NOTE: I have multiple postcard alerts from the NRA about the pro- and anti- gun bills for this NV legislative session.

Last edited:

CowboyKen

Steve, you have a polyanna view of what can be accomplished.

Given what our side is up against in the legislature, it didn't matter who was 'leading the charge.' What matters is, getting those who force these bills through, out.

Just because the results do not meet our desires, does not mean those you dislike were not doing their utmost. But, if the NVFAC would have been able to go in there and show a 10,000 membership, who knows how this would have turned out.

The reality is that in this case, it didn't matter WHO was fighting against what was pressed through by the anti-gun crew; the end result would be the same.

I don't know how many members there are (does not seem to be something the NVFAC wants to brag about) but I do know that as of 12/31/2012 NVFAC had raised over $50,000.00. Of this amount more then 20% ($13,389.00) was spent on "Other Expenses" mostly administrative in nature. None of it was spent on any actual program that supported any of the NVFAC's stated goals as far as I can tell. Like, "the education and development of youth in marksmanship and firearms safety." Or to, "sponsor and/or conduct matches for the selection of teams to represent the State ...," etc.

As of 12/31/2012 there was almost $40,000.00 in the bank.

It seems to me that Larry had far less to work with the last two sessions and he accomplished a lot more. Just my opinion.

Ken

Vegassteve

I don't know how many members there are (does not seem to be something the NVFAC wants to brag about) but I do know that as of 12/31/2012 NVFAC had raised over $50,000.00. Of this amount more then 20% ($13,389.00) was spent on "Other Expenses" mostly administrative in nature. None of it was spent on any actual program that supported any of the NVFAC's stated goals as far as I can tell. Like, "the education and development of youth in marksmanship and firearms safety." Or to, "sponsor and/or conduct matches for the selection of teams to represent the State ...," etc.

As of 12/31/2012 there was almost $40,000.00 in the bank.

It seems to me that Larry had far less to work with the last two sessions and he accomplished a lot more. Just my opinion.

Ken

Exactly. I have a very lengthy email exchange between myself and the director of competition. In the end he told me it was a closed discussion. We the NVFAC in spite of #4 of our objectives, would not be holding any competition or sponsoring any. He spoke down to me and acted like he was the father and I was the child.

CowboyKen

Exactly. I have a very lengthy email exchange between myself and the director of competition. In the end he told me it was a closed discussion. We the NVFAC in spite of #4 of our objectives, would not be holding any competition or sponsoring any. He spoke down to me and acted like he was the father and I was the child.

So then, it does make me wonder what Mr. Turner and his crew really want to accomplish.

Ken