• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC is a no no in Shelbyville

dan_c012

Went to get my drivers licence renewed at the new "Jugucial Center" located at 401 East Main St. No signs that I see saying banning weapons from the building. However right as I walked in I was greated by a Sherif and a medal detector saying hold up you cant come in here with that. I quotted the KRS to him about it being only the court room itself and I was here for my drivers licence. He said that it was a federal building and just by walking in the front doors I was in violation. There was a very nice state trouper there that took the time to explain to me that it was a "Jugucial Center" and exempt from that KRS. He pulled my pistol and ran the numbers to make sure it wasn't stolen. Then he locked it in a lock box at the desk and let me get my new licence. Then on the way out he ran said licence and walked me out with my pistol and hannded it to me at my bike.

He did say to me that I have every right to cary and I should express that right. However that building is not the place to do it.

I followed all directions and let him run everything because I still dont know if I was braking the law or not.

What do yall think. Should KC3 get involved here?

Thanks,
Dan

(sorry for spelling and grammor I am on my tablet and it is refusing to check it)

Fallschirjmäger

Nicest officers, Ever!

There ya go committin' a felony (since it's a "Federal Building" and there are No Federal misdemeanors) and all they want to do is run the numbers that they had no legitimate right to run, and then run your license (again with no legitimate reason). Don't ya wish all felonies could be ignored by the police that way?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some obvious things that don't add up here. If the Jugucial(sic) Center is a federal building, the why/how was a Deputy Sheriff conducting security?

If municipal property, then state preemption would prevail excepting being a court building - in which case the claim of federal building is false.

The running of numbers on gun and tags is over the top too.

self preservation

All Judicial Centers are owned and occupied by the state Court of Justice. They are not county courthouses. The county courthouse is at 5th and Main in Shelbyville, the Judicial Center is at 4th and Main. No weapons of any kind are allowed in any Court of Justice building or office, by judicial order. This even includes the maintenance building owned and/or operated by the COJ and this applies statewide. It has been this way for many, many years. You are very lucky you were not arrested and charged with violating that court order.

Is this order only for Shelbyville or all of KY.? It's so confusing when it comes to a Judicial building because we read in KRS "solely occupied by....." :confused:

09jisaac

I honestly don't know how this is still a question at all.

There are places that are exempt from Kentucky preemption. If they are specially exempt then it is most likely ILLEGAL to carry there.

You cannot carry into a Jail/prison
You cannot carry into the court rooms/chambers or a JUDICIAL CENTER.

Notice how these have to do with the COURT SYSTEM?

Kentucky driver licenses are issued by the CIRCUIT COURT CLERK. <--- That is an office of the COURTS. You cannot legally carry into one unless you have permission from the residing judge.

Do you have permission? Most likely not.

DO NOT CARRY YOUR FIREARM WHEN YOU WANT TO GET YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE.

OP, you are one lucky bird.

dan_c012

There are places that are exempt from Kentucky preemption. If they are specially exempt then it is most likely ILLEGAL to carry there.

Kentucky driver licenses are issued by the CIRCUIT COURT CLERK. <--- That is an office of the COURTS. You cannot legally carry into one unless you have permission from the residing judge.

Yes Like I said everyone was extreemly nice an I truly did not know the diffracence in the old building and the new one. I thanked everyone for their help and understanding. The old building had every office under the sun in it and never had a problem. this is an entirly new building. I guess my main complaint now is it should be better posted so we country bumkins that dont know will be warned before we walk in the door.

dan_c012

Also he said that I was the fourth person to come in OC not knowing what was up. Being a county like Shelbyville is they are a bit more understanding.

XD40sc

The title is very mis-leading

NC drivers licenses are renewed at NC DMV offices.

Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14-415.11(c)

This is not a Shelbyville issue, but a state law that applies to every state office in the state. It would be prudent that you get a list of places you cannot carry so you don't break the law. And then learn where Federal Law prevents carrying, such as all federal offices, from the IRS, to the SSA.

dan_c012

NC drivers licenses are renewed at NC DMV offices.

Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14-415.11(c)

This is not a Shelbyville issue, but a state law that applies to every state office in the state. It would be prudent that you get a list of places you cannot carry so you don't break the law. And then learn where Federal Law prevents carrying, such as all federal offices, from the IRS, to the SSA.

This is about open carry in the new building not concealed carry. In kentucky you dont need a permit to open carry.

dan_c012

The "old building" is the Shelby County courthouse. It has several county offices in it and always did. Shelby County also leased space to the courts for courtrooms, Judges' chambers, jury rooms, clerks' office etc. Counties are covered by preemption, but the courts are not. Both open and concealed carry were allowed into the county portions of that building, but at least in my lifetime, you were never allowed to carry into those court spaces. When the "new building" was opened, all of the court offices and courtrooms were moved there and the court occupies the entire building, so no carry is allowed anywhere in that building. As far as posting goes, they are not required to do that. This has been the law for so long and is so universal in all court spaces they probably think that it should not be necessary. I'd bet the jail is not posted either, but very few people would think they could walk in there armed. Carrying a gun is serious business and a person that chooses to do so takes on the responsibility that goes with it. We all need to educate ourselves about the law if we want to stay out of trouble.

Right I honistly did not know what the new building was when I enterd. I thought it was the exact same as the old building.

However the sherif and the state trouper on sight where very kind and educated me on sight. Also alowed me to do my business while the secured my pistol when the could have done a lot worse. I did not try to go past the security check point and talked to the sharif.

Also I feel atleast a bit better that I am not the only one (4th personto ake the same mistake) to cofuse the new building.

But it is all going to be moot here soon as I will be registering in Shively and the way city folk are I dont want to even test it. I will just leave it at home if I have to go to any govy type building.