• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at The Diamond?

ymmv

New Signs at the Diamond?

I apologize in advance for not having a picture of the sign to post, but I ended up leaving my cell phone at home.
Anyways, I've read that others have carried at the Diamond w/o any troubles in the past, and I don't remember seeing the sign earlier this season, but when I went to the game on Sunday, there are several signs fixed to the red gate bars that says that "all weapons are prohibited, including pocketknives"
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed these?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But handguns are not weapons - they are firearms. See 18.2-308 where they clearly distinguish firearms from weapons.

It sounds as if we are going to have to go through the "who controls The Diamond?" discussion again. I don't suppose we could just jump to the end and say that RMA is a local government authority that is subject to preemption under 15.2-915, could we?

As for regulating the carrying of weapons - "including pocketknives": They had better have gone through the regulatory process of the VAC to cover items not already controlled by 18.2-308. Anybody want to put money on them having actually done that?

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
In 2010 (their first year), we were a sponsor and ran this ad in their program for 71 home games. It was in the program right next to the game promotions page.

27255_371889539929_6092002_n.jpg

I oc'd (mostly) at the numerous meetings to set up our sponsorship, as well as at several games that year. They understood then that handguns were legal to carry there. Never had an issue.

TFred

I'm guessing they got some new hotshot whipper-snapper on staff who doesn't know squat, and thinks he's thought of something nobody else happened to think of yet.

ETA: I guess the question to ask is, do any written communications with them on the subject exist?

TFred

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm guessing they got some new hotshot whipper-snapper on staff who doesn't know squat, and thinks he's thought of something nobody else happened to think of yet.

ETA: I guess the question to ask is, do any written communications with them on the subject exist?

TFred

Give Ed a chance. Those postcards do not appear magically, you know.

Seriously, it's time to start. Phone call scheduled for later today.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

TFred

Yeah...the Mayors assistant has them:lol::lol::banana::lol::monkey

I need to go there later today. I think I lost something.

kenny

I apologize in advance for not having a picture of the sign to post, but I ended up leaving my cell phone at home.
Anyways, I've read that others have carried at the Diamond w/o any troubles in the past, and I don't remember seeing the sign earlier this season, but when I went to the game on Sunday, there are several signs fixed to the red gate bars that says that "all weapons are prohibited, including pocketknives"
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed these?
Is this the sign you speak of?

Attachments

• 2013-08-09-058.jpg
    2013-08-09-058.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 271

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Phone call in to the folks at The Diamond. They are trying to figure out who is in charge of the facility so they can get the message to him to return a call.

Too bad it did not involve something directly related to the team - they know everybody and their area of responsibility.

More as progress is made.

stay safe.

Blk97F150

Phone call in to the folks at The Diamond. They are trying to figure out who is in charge of the facility so they can get the message to him to return a call.

Too bad it did not involve something directly related to the team - they know everybody and their area of responsibility.

More as progress is made.

stay safe.

Good job Skid! If I may, here is alternative contact info:
http://www.rmaonline.org/contact.html

TFred

Just for kicks, the policy is on the website.

Scroll down to Weapons.

Their ban even applies to off-duty LEOs.

TFred

Weapons: For the safety of all guests, weapons of any kind are not permitted at The Diamond. The only exception to this is law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. Guests wishing to enter the stadium for a game or event consent to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will be denied admittance or may be ejected. No refunds or exchanges will be allowed in such an event.

Last edited: