Thread: Off Topic I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses

Off Topic I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses

This is not good. I know we have several members who live up in that area and I just hope everyone's OK and that no one is hurt.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/i-5-...hicles-/nX2d5/

SKAGIT COUNTY, Wash. The Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River at Mount Vernon collapsed Thursday evening, dumping vehicles and people into the water shortly after 7 p.m.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    This is not good. I know we have several members who live up in that area and I just hope everyone's OK and that no one is hurt.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/i-5-...hicles-/nX2d5/
    Ya, I saw that, but would have never thought it would happen unless the river was really running wild. The railroad bridge (east of this bridge about .25 miles) had a partial collapse several years ago, but that was when the river was really running wild.

The 10's of Billions spent to rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq would have gone a long way to maintain and upgrade infrastructure in this country.

I-35 in Minneapolis several years ago, now the I-5
    Last edited by XD40sc; 05-23-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    The 10's of Billions spent to rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq would have gone a long way to maintain and upgrade infrastructure in this country.

Bridges are generally in terrible shape .. you see one being worked on, its either new construction of the thing is ready to collapse ... really ... bridge work is mucho expensiano ...

Washington's bridges and hiways come in two classes...Inadequete and Under construction

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post

They printed that out of thin air while adding zillions to the national debt.* The Grace Commission determined that our income taxes don't go to build roads, buy tanks, or maintain the justice system--our income taxes only cover the interest on the national debt. And, this was already happening when Reagan was president (Reagan set up the Grace Commission).

The only way you get your infrastructure fixed is to make congress fix it. They're going to go into debt to do it, whether they also spend money on whichever foreign entanglement du jour or not.

*One of the ways money is created is the fedgov going into debt. Here's how that works. The fedgov sells treasury bonds to the Federal Reserve, bonds being debt instruments. The Federal Reserve adds the number of electronic dollars (out of thin air) to an account in a computer. The fedgov spends it into the economy by paying, for example, the company that makes humvees when the fedgov buys humvees. Actually, there is an intermediary on the bond transaction, but the mechanism is substantially what I just described.
    Last edited by Citizen; 05-24-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

^^^^^

Rome burned while Nero fiddled is the excuse?

And the bridge falls down, again

Why spend good money on state infrastructure when it can be wasted on political agendas.

Instead of a bank bailout, maybe they should've borrowed to fund infrastructure repair.

Unbelievable that as of now, no deaths reported.