• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Topic I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMNofSeattle

hermannr

This is not good. I know we have several members who live up in that area and I just hope everyone's OK and that no one is hurt.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/i-5-skagit-river-bridge-collapses-people-vehicles-/nX2d5/

Ya, I saw that, but would have never thought it would happen unless the river was really running wild. The railroad bridge (east of this bridge about .25 miles) had a partial collapse several years ago, but that was when the river was really running wild.

XD40sc

The 10's of Billions spent to rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq would have gone a long way to maintain and upgrade infrastructure in this country.

I-35 in Minneapolis several years ago, now the I-5

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The 10's of Billions spent to rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq would have gone a long way to maintain and upgrade infrastructure in this country.

Bridges are generally in terrible shape .. you see one being worked on, its either new construction of the thing is ready to collapse ... really ... bridge work is mucho expensiano ...

Trigger Dr

Washington's bridges and hiways come in two classes...Inadequete and Under construction

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

They printed that out of thin air while adding zillions to the national debt.* The Grace Commission determined that our income taxes don't go to build roads, buy tanks, or maintain the justice system--our income taxes only cover the interest on the national debt. And, this was already happening when Reagan was president (Reagan set up the Grace Commission).

The only way you get your infrastructure fixed is to make congress fix it. They're going to go into debt to do it, whether they also spend money on whichever foreign entanglement du jour or not.

*One of the ways money is created is the fedgov going into debt. Here's how that works. The fedgov sells treasury bonds to the Federal Reserve, bonds being debt instruments. The Federal Reserve adds the number of electronic dollars (out of thin air) to an account in a computer. The fedgov spends it into the economy by paying, for example, the company that makes humvees when the fedgov buys humvees. Actually, there is an intermediary on the bond transaction, but the mechanism is substantially what I just described.

Last edited:

XD40sc

^^^^^

Rome burned while Nero fiddled is the excuse?

And the bridge falls down, again :mad:

Amicus

Why spend good money on state infrastructure when it can be wasted on political agendas.

Stretch

Instead of a bank bailout, maybe they should've borrowed to fund infrastructure repair.

Unbelievable that as of now, no deaths reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.