Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: I was stopped for OC in Walmart @ Hartford (Video) Disarmed without consent

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Posts
    8

    I was stopped for OC in Walmart @ Hartford (Video) Disarmed without consent


  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Fill in what details that you can after talking to an attorney.

    What kind of video cam were you using and where was it mounted/carried that they did not see it?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    These two cops are clueless. You can move into CT without registering firearms you already own. Besides, how would they have delt with a non-resident?

    CT cops should be familiar with the Pistol Permit, before LEOSA, they needed a permit to carry off duty.... And they still need one to be exempt from the Federal Gun Free Schools Act, but I'm sure they are not aware about that either.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    They have about 287 cops in Hartford .. you ran into a couple that have no idea and basically kidnapped you.

    They have no RAS, they have no PC, the detainment is illegal ... its kidnapping.

    You could have arrested them !

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    They have about 287 cops in Hartford .. you ran into a couple that have no idea and basically kidnapped you.

    They have no RAS, they have no PC, the detainment is illegal ... its kidnapping.

    You could have arrested them !
    Good way to get shot by a cop. Good luck with any type of citizens arrest or any other poppycock people come up with on the Internet.

    Anyone would be convinced if they spent 10 minutes on http://photographyisnotacrime.com/
    Last edited by Jared; 05-24-2013 at 03:22 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member cteaglesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Branford
    Posts
    133
    I went into a store in New Haven while OCing and had an educational convo with a guy who works there about the legality of it. A few weeks later I went there again and he said he asked a New Haven police officer about it and his words were "It's a good thing I didn't see him because I would have arrested him". Arrested me for what.......... I have no idea.

    We all know what state police policy is, It looks like it's local police policy to arrest/detain and ask questions later.
    Last edited by cteaglesfan; 05-24-2013 at 03:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,277
    Mando

    What was the outcome?

    CCJ

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Good way to get shot by a cop. Good luck with any type of citizens arrest or any other poppycock people come up with on the Internet.

    Anyone would be convinced if they spent 10 minutes on http://photographyisnotacrime.com/
    Jared, in my state, you do not have to sit back and accept illegal activity by gov't officials ... if cops want to break into your house, illegally hold you etc then you have the right to resist.

    Your neighboring state, IN, just went through this ....

  9. #9
    Regular Member XD40sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    425
    Another thing that gun registration does, allows cops to stop and verify the gun in your possession is registered and registered to you. Just an excuse to harass law abiding citizens.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Jared, in my state, you do not have to sit back and accept illegal activity by gov't officials ... if cops want to break into your house, illegally hold you etc then you have the right to resist.

    Your neighboring state, IN, just went through this ....
    Again, it's poppycock.

    Good luck resisting, you will be shot or severely injured. Resisting an arrest in CT will go about as well as carrying without a permit "under the 2nd Amendment".

    Spend 10 minutes on www.photographyisnotacrime.com

    You speak in romantic terms of how the constitution actually is; however, the reality is that the government, courts, police, and prison don't care.

    Attempting to arrest a CT cop or being caught in CT carrying without a license = felony rapsheet and prison.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Posts
    8
    @Grapshot I was using my phone, I have info on video description :


    Was at about 5pm and I apologize for video angles but I knew if they saw me recording, they would have me stop. At one point I zoomed in on officers and Walmart manager tells me I can't take pictures, but I was actually recording. I was stopped for OC'ing in Walmart @ Flatbush Ave in Hartford. I was heading towards register when the main officer in video approaches me from behind. He had just noticed me since he was walking towards my direction talking with someone. Name tag was Daugherty. He taps my shoulder and motions to my gun as to say "what the hell is this." My response was, I have my permit if you want to see it. He pulls me aside and runs my permit number. Comes back valid, he then disarms me without my consent which is when I reached into my pocket and started to record. I was and still am pissed at the fact the video cuts off shortly when the supervisor shows up. My phones memory was full at that point. Once the supervisor showed up, he asked what was going on, he was told that my permit was valid but I had no guns registered to me. After about 1min of him being there, Supervisor says if my permit valid, "let him go." Of course I was escorted to my car by the main LEO Daugherty. Supervisor (if I remember correctly) was J WILSON or J NELSON. I may be mixing up NELSON with the other officer, but I was nervous as I have never been stopped before.,

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    @Grapshot I was using my phone, I have info on video description :


    Was at about 5pm and I apologize for video angles but I knew if they saw me recording, they would have me stop. At one point I zoomed in on officers and Walmart manager tells me I can't take pictures, but I was actually recording. I was stopped for OC'ing in Walmart @ Flatbush Ave in Hartford. I was heading towards register when the main officer in video approaches me from behind. He had just noticed me since he was walking towards my direction talking with someone. Name tag was Daugherty. He taps my shoulder and motions to my gun as to say "what the hell is this." My response was, I have my permit if you want to see it. He pulls me aside and runs my permit number. Comes back valid, he then disarms me without my consent which is when I reached into my pocket and started to record. I was and still am pissed at the fact the video cuts off shortly when the supervisor shows up. My phones memory was full at that point. Once the supervisor showed up, he asked what was going on, he was told that my permit was valid but I had no guns registered to me. After about 1min of him being there, Supervisor says if my permit valid, "let him go." Of course I was escorted to my car by the main LEO Daugherty. Supervisor (if I remember correctly) was J WILSON or J NELSON. I may be mixing up NELSON with the other officer, but I was nervous as I have never been stopped before.,
    Still best advice is to seek the counsel of an attorney - IMO you have a good case.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    You speak in romantic terms of how the constitution actually is; however, the reality is that the government, courts, police, and prison don't care..
    I believe that one of the purposes of OCDO is to disabuse y'all of your ignorances. We have only the rights that we defend.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member PTF3170's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hartford, , USA
    Posts
    6

    Cool

    Mando sorry to hear this happen at the walmart store at flatbush ave. I usually OP there had no problems,( I live near the area ) the guy in the blue shirt his part of Lost Prevention WM!! the other guy in the sweatshirt his also LP, and the woman that was there for a few mint. is also LP, just get some legal advice then take it from there and by the way yes you can record in the store there is no policy that states that you cant record in the store they just want to be shure theres NO evidence... the WM way!!

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I believe that one of the purposes of OCDO is to disabuse y'all of your ignorances. We have only the rights that we defend.
    No guarantees are offered, but the opportunity is made readily accessible.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,277
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    Another thing that gun registration does, allows cops to stop and verify the gun in your possession is registered and registered to you. Just an excuse to harass law abiding citizens.
    hence the catch 22- When you sign up for a registration you agree to be stopped and questioned by LE.

    Just my .02

    CCJ

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I believe that one of the purposes of OCDO is to disabuse y'all of your ignorances. We have only the rights that we defend.
    What "ignorance" are you referring to? Go strap on a handgun and walk around CA with the gun loaded and let me know how the jail experience goes. Be sure to tell us how far the Constitution gets you

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    What "ignorance" are you referring to? Go strap on a handgun and walk around CA with the gun loaded and let me know how the jail experience goes. Be sure to tell us how far the Constitution gets you
    I must agree. If I tried exercising my 2A in NJ or NY, I would be either gunned down or send away for a very long time. Not to many pro 2A attorney's practicing in NJ or NY or CA theses days.

    CCJ

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    What "ignorance" are you referring to?
    Y'all's ignorance that allow your 'them' to not care. YOU have only the rights that you defend.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Y'all's ignorance that allow your 'them' to not care. YOU have only the rights that you defend.
    Speak for yourself, I helped start two sucessful lawsuits and won the ability for non-citizens to possess/carry arms in WA and MA and I've done a lot of work in Rhode Island. I'm sure I've done way more than you, but thanks for asking I almost forgot to mention the work of a long process for a lawsuit in one of the territories.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Hence my dot.sig.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Posts
    8
    Last edited by Mando; 05-24-2013 at 09:54 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Did I hear the officer say "... breach of the peace situation"? <1:00
    Sec. 53a-181. Breach of the peace in the second degree: Class B misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of breach of the peace in the second degree when, with intent to cause inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, such person:
    (1) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior in a public place; or
    (2) assaults or strikes another; or
    (3) threatens to commit any crime against another person or such other person's property; or
    (4) publicly exhibits, distributes, posts up or advertises any offensive, indecent or abusive matter concerning any person; or
    (5) in a public place, uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or
    (6) creates a public and hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which such person is not licensed or privileged to do. For purposes of this section, "public place" means any area that is used or held out for use by the public whether owned or operated by public or private interests.


    Looks like you got it back, I hope you left him with a smile.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 05-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    125
    If you bought a pistol privately from another person there is no need to register with the state correct?

  25. #25
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeyburnout View Post
    If you bought a pistol privately from another person there is no need to register with the state correct?

    Incorrect. All handgun sales in CT require state authorization and forms submitted.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •