• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Records Management System

wrearick

I did a search on the title of this thread and got no hits so that means it probably HAS been covered before, I just can not find it.

Anyway, I received a community bulletin on preventing crime that included a listing of all of the Burglaries in the 4th precinct of Virginia Beach for the period of 1 April 2013 to 20 May 2013. (there were 70!). I have the pdf if anyone would like it but found an online link to a report from 2008
http://www.levelgreencl.org/resources/4th Pct Crime Details.pdf

My concern is in the bottom right hand corner it lists the source as "Pistol Records Management System"

I have not been able to determine if that is the name of a commercial software product or is a form of data base that among other things contains information on Pistol owners (which I believe is illegal)? Has anyone heard of this before or know if it is a database on gun owners? (obviously it is more because it contains offenses as well)

wrearick

I found an audit of Richmonds PISTOL system for 2011 and the following is the description of the system:

Subject: Police Department – PISTOL Records Management System
The City Auditor’s Office has completed an audit of the Police Department’s PISTOL Records
Management System (PISTOL). PISTOL Records Management System (RMS) is a critical
application used to collect, store, and provide access to all of the information gathered by law
enforcement personnel.

So anytime we provide ID during an encounter an entry will go into this system? Sounds like a good reason not to provide ID - I don't want to create a hit in the PISTOL system.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
enforcement personnel.

So anytime we provide ID during an encounter an entry will go into this system? Sounds like a good reason not to provide ID - I don't want to create a hit in the PISTOL system.

Yep!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I found an audit of Richmonds PISTOL system for 2011 and the following is the description of the system:

Subject: Police Department – PISTOL Records Management System
The City Auditor’s Office has completed an audit of the Police Department’s PISTOL Records
Management System (PISTOL). PISTOL Records Management System (RMS) is a critical
application used to collect, store, and provide access to all of the information gathered by law
enforcement personnel.

You bet. That's exactly what they do. You won't create a hit the first time; but every time after that, you will.

This has long been known.

wrearick

Thanks Citizen, new to gun ownership and this forum. Trying to read some of the mountain of knowledge here and tried the search to no avail. Thanks for confirming my suspicions and putting up with a question on an old topic.

starbuck

Not necessarily. Depending on the agency, it would depend on if the officer did a field interview, and recorded your information on an FI card. Simply showing your ID is not going to get you entered in.
If you've ever been fingerprinted for anything by the PD/SO (like for a CHP) you're already in PISTOL, if the locality uses it. PISTOL records usually only contain a specific locality's info (ie one locality can't see if you were FI'ed another, etc).

Last edited:

riverrat10k

I had a break in at my house. Female cop refused to take my report until my wife (stupidly) provided her drivers license. She had asked for mine, and I was argueing with her "Why? I'm not operating a motor vehicle. Gave you my name and you are standing in my address." She actually said something along the lines of "I don't know who you are so I need your ID." At this point, my wife, to my horror, broke, and provided hers. Was OC the whole time.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I had a break in at my house. Female cop refused to take my report until my wife (stupidly) provided her drivers license. She had asked for mine, and I was argueing with her "Why? I'm not operating a motor vehicle. Gave you my name and you are standing in my address." She actually said something along the lines of "I don't know who you are so I need your ID." At this point, my wife, to my horror, broke, and provided hers. Was OC the whole time.

File a complaint with the department! I call an officer to my house to file a complaint he/she better take my word for who I am.
Of course over here I have the Sheriff's home and cell phone number.:)