Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: ShotSpotter expansion faces funding challenges

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322

    ShotSpotter expansion faces funding challenges

    http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news...208768711.html

    Governor Scott Walker's administration wants to 'delete' this funding from the proposed budget because "it is a non-competitive grant/earmark. It does not fit with the Department of Justice's Mission: There is no similar funding available to other communities, it is not a statewide criminal justice program, nor a pilot program designed to inform local law enforcement's policing decisions."
    Glad to see the Governor wants to use that money more wisely than the city of Milwaukee.

    "It just doesn't make any sense," he said. "The shot spotter program has been extremely effective it helps reduce crime, it helps catch criminals and why the state is not willing to help us more is beyond me."
    Show me one crime it has prevented Barrett.
    Last edited by protias; 05-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  2. #2
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    The way they show it reduces crime* is by comparing periods of time.
    So, first quarter this year to first quarter last year, or 2011, 2010, etc. to show a trend.

    Just as when the anti-rights people challenge us to point to a crime we've prevented, it's nearly impossible.
    Though in the case of the individual armed citizen is is possible to see criminals start their attack (case a restaurant, for example - see the Kennesaw Waffle House report) then decide not to continue.

    I think that the questionability (if that wasn't a word, it is now) of the reports from MPD is in itself enough reason to deny funding for any program they clain reduces crime.

    "program designed to inform local law enforcement's policing decisions"
    Here I disagree with da Gov. They do use data from shotspotter to decide where to put more officers (which usually results in more arrests & fewer crimes being committed while they're there).

    "it helps catch criminals"
    No it doesn't. They can tell the area where a gunshot came from. That's all. It doesn't give them a video image, to show who pulled the trigger.



    * if we can rely on the MPD stats, which they've proven we can't
    According to reports (I think it was a newspaper investigation), MPD starts by refusing to take reports on some crimes, then downgrades some of the ones they do take so they look like less serious crimes
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news...208768711.html

    Glad to see the Governor wants to use that money more wisely than the city of Milwaukee.

    Show me one crime it has prevented Barrett.
    Our mayor seems to alternate between

    . "home rule, leave us alone, don't interfere": Let us force our city employees to live in the city (unless they're pals of mine and can't find the right house)

    and

    . "We're special and need special help from the state": Shot-spotter, just being one of these programs.

    -----

    I think ShotSpotter, could be a benificial program. It is especially valuable in the city of Milwaukee, because there are too many residents unwilling to report crimes and problems. They show up for vigils after the wrongful death of their sometimes innocent friends and family, but most seem comfortable hiding the actions of criminals, protecting them from prosecution.

    Since, by definition, ShotSpotter quickly identifies illegal use of guns, I would expect a considerable increase of convictions for violating laws that have to do with firearms. The mayor and police chief should have documentation that would show that. Unless, the shooters are not being prosecuted and convicted, in which case it is a bad joke.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by E6chevron View Post
    I think ShotSpotter, could be a benificial program. It is especially valuable in the city of Milwaukee, because there are too many residents unwilling to report crimes and problems. They show up for vigils after the wrongful death of their sometimes innocent friends and family, but most seem comfortable hiding the actions of criminals, protecting them from prosecution.

    Since, by definition, ShotSpotter quickly identifies illegal use of guns, I would expect a considerable increase of convictions for violating laws that have to do with firearms. The mayor and police chief should have documentation that would show that. Unless, the shooters are not being prosecuted and convicted, in which case it is a bad joke.
    That's because residents call the police when something happens and they either show up many hours later or don't show up at all. If you try and try and try and try and the police don't come to help, what good does it do to call for help?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    542
    I was too vague when I said "because there are too many residents unwilling to report crimes and problems." My fault, sorry.

    It would be more accurate for me to have posted "because there are not enough residents willing to identify criminals and testify about crimes and problems"

    Slow police response to 911 calls can be a problem, but there have been too many events that are basically a party or get together during the day, perfectly legal, and in the middle of it, a fight breaks out that ends with a shooting, or there is a driveby shooting, with dozens of witnesses, and NOBODY sees who did it, has any description of the vehicle or the shooter or who they were with, or which way they went.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

  6. #6
    Regular Member Yetiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE Wi
    Posts
    117
    I have to seriously question whether it actually works as advertised.

    I was at an accident scene two months ago, had been there for 20 min or so when the coppers who were on the scene the whole time get out of their car and ask if we heard any gun shots. We hadn't. none at all. They said they just got a call from their supervisor because 'Shot Spotter' reported 4 gun shots at that very intersection 5 minutes ago.

    This happened at another location where three squads drove up and asked us if we heard anything that it had 'pin pointed' that location for shots fired. We had been there working for two hours and had heard nothing.

    Maybe there is a reason this system is reporting incidents that area residents don't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •