• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ShotSpotter expansion faces funding challenges

protias

http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news/Crime-fighting-grant-in-jeopardy-208768711.html

Governor Scott Walker's administration wants to 'delete' this funding from the proposed budget because "it is a non-competitive grant/earmark. It does not fit with the Department of Justice's Mission: There is no similar funding available to other communities, it is not a statewide criminal justice program, nor a pilot program designed to inform local law enforcement's policing decisions."

Glad to see the Governor wants to use that money more wisely than the city of Milwaukee.

"It just doesn't make any sense," he said. "The shot spotter program has been extremely effective it helps reduce crime, it helps catch criminals and why the state is not willing to help us more is beyond me."

Show me one crime it has prevented Barrett.

Last edited:

MKEgal

The way they show it reduces crime* is by comparing periods of time.
So, first quarter this year to first quarter last year, or 2011, 2010, etc. to show a trend.

Just as when the anti-rights people challenge us to point to a crime we've prevented, it's nearly impossible.
Though in the case of the individual armed citizen is is possible to see criminals start their attack (case a restaurant, for example - see the Kennesaw Waffle House report) then decide not to continue.

I think that the questionability (if that wasn't a word, it is now) of the reports from MPD is in itself enough reason to deny funding for any program they clain reduces crime.

"program designed to inform local law enforcement's policing decisions"
Here I disagree with da Gov. They do use data from shotspotter to decide where to put more officers (which usually results in more arrests & fewer crimes being committed while they're there).

"it helps catch criminals"
No it doesn't. They can tell the area where a gunshot came from. That's all. It doesn't give them a video image, to show who pulled the trigger.

* if we can rely on the MPD stats, which they've proven we can't
According to reports (I think it was a newspaper investigation), MPD starts by refusing to take reports on some crimes, then downgrades some of the ones they do take so they look like less serious crimes

E6chevron

http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news/Crime-fighting-grant-in-jeopardy-208768711.html

Glad to see the Governor wants to use that money more wisely than the city of Milwaukee.

Show me one crime it has prevented Barrett.

Our mayor seems to alternate between

. "home rule, leave us alone, don't interfere": Let us force our city employees to live in the city (unless they're pals of mine and can't find the right house)

and

. "We're special and need special help from the state": Shot-spotter, just being one of these programs.

-----

I think ShotSpotter, could be a benificial program. It is especially valuable in the city of Milwaukee, because there are too many residents unwilling to report crimes and problems. They show up for vigils after the wrongful death of their sometimes innocent friends and family, but most seem comfortable hiding the actions of criminals, protecting them from prosecution.

Since, by definition, ShotSpotter quickly identifies illegal use of guns, I would expect a considerable increase of convictions for violating laws that have to do with firearms. The mayor and police chief should have documentation that would show that. Unless, the shooters are not being prosecuted and convicted, in which case it is a bad joke.

protias

I think ShotSpotter, could be a benificial program. It is especially valuable in the city of Milwaukee, because there are too many residents unwilling to report crimes and problems. They show up for vigils after the wrongful death of their sometimes innocent friends and family, but most seem comfortable hiding the actions of criminals, protecting them from prosecution.

Since, by definition, ShotSpotter quickly identifies illegal use of guns, I would expect a considerable increase of convictions for violating laws that have to do with firearms. The mayor and police chief should have documentation that would show that. Unless, the shooters are not being prosecuted and convicted, in which case it is a bad joke.

That's because residents call the police when something happens and they either show up many hours later or don't show up at all. If you try and try and try and try and the police don't come to help, what good does it do to call for help?

E6chevron

I was too vague when I said "because there are too many residents unwilling to report crimes and problems." My fault, sorry.

It would be more accurate for me to have posted "because there are not enough residents willing to identify criminals and testify about crimes and problems"

Slow police response to 911 calls can be a problem, but there have been too many events that are basically a party or get together during the day, perfectly legal, and in the middle of it, a fight breaks out that ends with a shooting, or there is a driveby shooting, with dozens of witnesses, and NOBODY sees who did it, has any description of the vehicle or the shooter or who they were with, or which way they went.

Yetiman

I have to seriously question whether it actually works as advertised.

I was at an accident scene two months ago, had been there for 20 min or so when the coppers who were on the scene the whole time get out of their car and ask if we heard any gun shots. We hadn't. none at all. They said they just got a call from their supervisor because 'Shot Spotter' reported 4 gun shots at that very intersection 5 minutes ago.

This happened at another location where three squads drove up and asked us if we heard anything that it had 'pin pointed' that location for shots fired. We had been there working for two hours and had heard nothing.

Maybe there is a reason this system is reporting incidents that area residents don't.