• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just arrived from The PRK.

elsensei

Hi everyone. I just left the People's Republic of Kalifornia and moved to Colorado.

I OC'ed (unloaded) in the PRK all the time and got arrested at gunpoint a couple times for my trouble. I never broke any laws, mind you, but there's "illegal" and there's "what they don't like". After a few years of legal wrangling, they outlawed OC of handguns and long guns loaded or not, and they still won't give you a ccw. Not that I'm in to the whole idea of a paid permission slip to begin with...

I'd like to OC here in Colorado (I'm in adams county) and I have a few questions, most specifically about the federal gun free school zones act. Kalifornia had its own state version of that law that you couldn't get around (had to be further than 1000 feet from k-12 schools, though I always wondered why they didn't care if preschoolers or college kids were around guns) but as far as I can tell, Colorado has no such nonsense on the books. Need I worry about the federal law when OCing?

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks in advance-

Sam

rushcreek2

Welcome to the United States of America. I fled the PRK over 40 years ago.

I'm a Coloradoan since 2006 , but presently spending some time down in Texas.

If you haven't already done so - do an advanced search at top of the page for:

Federal gun free school zone law in Colorado

That will take you to a previous discussion on the matter that includes CRS citations.

Coloradoans will remove the current crop of miscreants infesting the State government by 2014 election day.

Last edited:

Cquick86

I hope we can get these clowns out. As far as I know, you must not open carry within 1000 feet of school. Even if that's not the case, I don't find it hard to steer clear of them.

RandallFlagg

Coloradoans will remove the current crop of miscreants infesting the State government by 2014 election day.

I made a list of 'em:
Democrat Representative Claire Levy
Democrat Representative Rhonda Fields
Democrat Senator Morgan Carroll
Democrat Senator Evie Hudak
Democrat Representative Beth McCann
Democrat Senator Lois Tochtrop
Democrat Representative Jenise May
Democrat Representative Lois Court
Democrat Senator Rollie Heath
Democrat Senator Mary Hodge
Democrat Senator John Morse
Democrat Senator Jessie Ulibarri
Democrat Senator Irene Aguilar
Democrat Senator Lucia Guzman
Democrat Senator Angela Giron
Democrat Senator Gail Schwartz
Democrat Senator John Kefalas
Democrat Senator Jeanne Nicholson
Democrat Senator Matt Jones
Democrat Senator Cheri Jahn
Democrat Senator Andy Kerr
Democrat Senator Linda Newell
Democrat Senator Nancy Todd
Democrat Senator Pat Steadman
Democrat Senator Michael Johnston

And of course, Governor Hickenlooper.

Every one of these bums needs to get the boot.

Saxxon

Far be it from me to defend a Democrat, but I feel I need to speak up on behalf of Senator Lois Tochtrop.

To my knowledge she voted against almost all of those bills - CCW Ban, Magazine Limits, even the background check ones.

The one bill she sponsored, supported and passed was the one to require CCW classroom face time - no internet only training. That just makes common sense, an instructor can more easily clear up confusion and detect a possibly dangerous individual than having someone take a multiple choice test on a computer that anyone can pass. I've met very few gun owners that opposed that idea. If someone is going to be trained to do something safely, I'd want it to be more effective training simply as a matter of course.

Sen. Tochtrop also supported the State Pre-emption statute and "shall issue" CCW reform in 2003.

In making your list, make sure its really our enemies that you target and not collateral damage, Sen. Tochtrop may not be a 2A advocate, but the record shows so far that she does listen to common sense. Out of the entire herd of Democrats in Colorado currently she'd be one of the last ones I would want to evict over the far more heinous actions of Morse, Hudak, Fields, Hickenlooper et al.

Be sure of your target before you fire.

For that matter, check your votes on Cheri Jahn also, if I recall she voted against the Magazine Limits bill also. Again, reward your friends, punish your enemies and make sure you know which is which.

Last edited:

RandallFlagg

The one bill she sponsored, supported and passed was the one to require CCW classroom face time - no internet only training.

Sorry. Call me a hardliner, but...
ANY one of these pukes who supports any restrictions must get the boot.
JMHO.

Saxxon

Well I understand where you are coming from, constitutional carry would be a right just like open carry. But we don't have that yet. I am fairly sure the NRA & others when pushing for shall issue CCW reform in many states, were on board with safety training (figuring that is also one of the NRAs primary missions). Since our schools are not doing their job and giving youngsters firearms safety training as part of phys ed like they did in my father's generation, I don't see it as an unreasonable requirement to get training for a permit - you already have the same thing in place for hunting licenses.

Down to a purist view you should have a right to hunt your food sans any government interference, but the problem is as a species we are so numerous if we all hunted with no limits we'd wipe out most game species in short order as we did or nearly did with many in the 1800-early 1900s.

I actually talked to her both on the phone and in person during the time these bills were offered. She said she would not support unreasonable, ineffective measures that intruded on people's rights but offered no real hope of reduction of crime. She honored her statement in that regard as I see it, I have to honor mine and not seek to oust her for doing something that we both could agree on as a reasonable measure.

I don't think its a good use of time and resources going after someone that has demonstrated a willingness to evaluate the logic and reason behind the bills when you have so many that don't. If you do, who in the end will trust you with their exercise of common sense? You wind up with less ability to guide the process as those who are willing to be reasonable will then not listen to those who show no willingness to find common sense solutions.

Put another way, you are taking the extreme stance opposite the extremism of Fields, Morse etc. It makes sense in terms of balance, but you won't sway the needed people in the center that pretty much have to have some type of reasonable showing of controls on dangerous behavior (either negligent or malevolent) with firearms, by using the extreme purist point of view to persuade them (I know, I've tried that).

With rights come responsibility and somewhere people need to be able to learn that responsibility with their 2A rights when their parents and schools fail to teach them. IE, my mother is rabidly anti-gun, we never learned anything about gun safety in the house other than "guns are bad" (which isn't about gun safety anyway). Everything I know, I had to learn on my own thru trial and error (fortunately no one got hurt) or thru others, including the NRA. For many, having a mandatory safety class for hunting or their CCW may be the only safety training they will ever get - most people buy a gun and consider training optional, it costs more money.

Last edited:

MatieA

>>Snip Since our schools are not doing their job and giving youngsters firearms safety training as part of phys ed like they did in my father's generation, I don't see it as an unreasonable requirement to get training for a permit - you already have the same thing in place for hunting licenses.

Down to a purist view you should have a right to hunt your food sans any government interference, but the problem is as a species we are so numerous if we all hunted with no limits we'd wipe out most game species in short order as we did or nearly did with many in the 1800-early 1900s.

I actually talked to her both on the phone and in person during the time these bills were offered. She said she would not support unreasonable, ineffective measures that intruded on people's rights but offered no real hope of reduction of crime. She honored her statement in that regard as I see it, I have to honor mine and not seek to oust her for doing something that we both could agree on as a reasonable measure.

I don't think its a good use of time and resources going after someone that has demonstrated a willingness to evaluate the logic and reason behind the bills when you have so many that don't. If you do, who in the end will trust you with their exercise of common sense? You wind up with less ability to guide the process as those who are willing to be reasonable will then not listen to those who show no willingness to find common sense solutions.

Put another way, you are taking the extreme stance opposite the extremism of Fields, Morse etc. It makes sense in terms of balance, but you won't sway the needed people in the center that pretty much have to have some type of reasonable showing of controls on dangerous behavior (either negligent or malevolent) with firearms, by using the extreme purist point of view to persuade them (I know, I've tried that).

With rights come responsibility and somewhere people need to be able to learn that responsibility with their 2A rights when their parents and schools fail to teach them. IE, my mother is rabidly anti-gun, we never learned anything about gun safety in the house other than "guns are bad" (which isn't about gun safety anyway). Everything I know, I had to learn on my own thru trial and error (fortunately no one got hurt) or thru others, including the NRA. For many, having a mandatory safety class for hunting or their CCW may be the only safety training they will ever get - most people buy a gun and consider training optional, it costs more money.

And how many ppl will never get a permit and/or a gun because they cannot afford "mandatory" training? Training should NEVER be mandatory, but should ALWAYS be available. In my honest yet insignificant opinion if there was NO mandatory training, then training would be more affordable, and more people would get training because they could afford it.

JamesB

And how many ppl will never get a permit and/or a gun because they cannot afford "mandatory" training? Training should NEVER be mandatory, but should ALWAYS be available. In my honest yet insignificant opinion if there was NO mandatory training, then training would be more affordable, and more people would get training because they could afford it.

For that matter, the permit application fee is larger than most of the trainings that are currently offered.
How many will simply not get a permit because of the associated fee?
Why do I need a government issued permission slip to do what I can do already?
Why should I have to pay for that permission?