• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

information on sheriff Arpaio

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So Eric Holder investigating anyone for racism is laughable on its face. Actually Eric Holder being the AG of the US is beyond sad. Eric Holder investigating racism is equivalent to having China, Iran, Cuba and Syria on a human rights commission.

I love how you keep beating this straw man to death. There's no possible reason anybody could oppose Sheriff Joe other than imagined "racism", amirite? :lol:

Black_water

I love how you keep beating this straw man to death. There's no possible reason anybody could oppose Sheriff Joe other than imagined "racism", amirite? :lol:

I am simply saying that having a racist investigate racism is silly same as having human rights violators investigate human rights violations.

Hardly a straw man.

ETA

This sort of reminds me of the Whitey Bulger case. Bulger, was an informant for the FBI, who used his status to turn in all his criminal competitors for prosecution while keeping himself in business.

At best Eric Holder is playing the role of Bulger here when dealing with Arpaio.

Last edited:

mzbk2l

Ok, rephrased to say "the majority of posters..."

Having said that, everyone is entitled to an opinion, however, opinions need to be made based on facts and not hyperbole and manufactured baloney, especially when it comes from the clearly racist and corrupt DOJ.

So Eric Holder investigating anyone for racism is laughable on its face...
True, but my reasons for believing Joke needs to go have nothing to do with alleged racism. As I've typed here several times, I'm more concerned with the 50,000+ unserved warrants that "aren't his job," the fact that he can go over budget 4 months into the year, the way he let his top deputies retire on a Friday and start work as civilians on Monday making 2x their previous salary, while collecting 100% county pension (hmmm, wonder if THAT figures into his budget woes?), the way he arrested the New Times reporters who published his personal information (that they got from a public Maricopa County website, by the way), the way he tried to sue the Maricopa County Superior Court when they didn't take his side in the New Times case, the way he was all for protecting the rights of illegal immigrants before he realized the publicity he could reap by pretending to be against them (remember Joke arresting the AZ National Guardsman who held several illegals at gunpoint at the rest area while he waited for the police?), and his silly press conferences when he arrests 11 illegals at Filbertos or something. Why don't the Phoenix or Mesa PDs feel the need to have a press conference in front of their armored personnel carriers every time they make a bust?

Arizona has a FABULOUS employer sanction law that could stop illegal immigration in its tracks - why does Joke refuse to make use of that tool?

Joke fools the masses into thinking he's the toughest thing around on illegal immigration, and the masses lap it up. They don't care about anything else (like managing one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the nation), as long as he feeds them what they want to hear in his all-too-frequent press conferences.

I would like to see a competent, professional person in charge of the MCSO - one who will use the laws we have to convince the illegals to go away. One who will work on the unserved warrants. One who favors even a little bit of transparency among his executive staff. You know... all the things Joke doesn't do because he's too busy thumping his own chest. THOSE are the reasons I think he needs to go. You won't find racism or the DOJ anywhere among them.

Black_water

True, but my reasons for believing Joke needs to go have nothing to do with alleged racism. As I've typed here several times, I'm more concerned with the 50,000+ unserved warrants that "aren't his job," the fact that he can go over budget 4 months into the year, the way he let his top deputies retire on a Friday and start work as civilians on Monday making 2x their previous salary, while collecting 100% county pension (hmmm, wonder if THAT figures into his budget woes?), the way he arrested the New Times reporters who published his personal information (that they got from a public Maricopa County website, by the way), the way he tried to sue the Maricopa County Superior Court when they didn't take his side in the New Times case, the way he was all for protecting the rights of illegal immigrants before he realized the publicity he could reap by pretending to be against them (remember Joke arresting the AZ National Guardsman who held several illegals at gunpoint at the rest area while he waited for the police?), and his silly press conferences when he arrests 11 illegals at Filbertos or something. Why don't the Phoenix or Mesa PDs feel the need to have a press conference in front of their armored personnel carriers every time they make a bust?

Arizona has a FABULOUS employer sanction law that could stop illegal immigration in its tracks - why does Joke refuse to make use of that tool?

Joke fools the masses into thinking he's the toughest thing around on illegal immigration, and the masses lap it up. They don't care about anything else (like managing one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the nation), as long as he feeds them what they want to hear in his all-too-frequent press conferences.

I would like to see a competent, professional person in charge of the MCSO - one who will use the laws we have to convince the illegals to go away. One who will work on the unserved warrants. One who favors even a little bit of transparency among his executive staff. You know... all the things Joke doesn't do because he's too busy thumping his own chest. THOSE are the reasons I think he needs to go. You won't find racism or the DOJ anywhere among them.

Fair enough, thanks for posting that.

OC for ME

<snip>

Before you start back with whatever, ask yourself some questions.

Have you ever been out with your family in a park and run into several heavily armed people "hiking" through?

Have you ever seen several dozen people laying out in the middle of nowhere or at least where not many people go?

Do you have areas of your forest or wild areas that have hundreds of tons of garbage? Where the human waste is so thick that it's a toxic clean up sight?

Do you have signs in your parks warning you that you may encounter dangerous people doing dangerous things?
<snip>
Uh, you just described Jersey City, NJ.

PALO

Arpaio is a putz. I have two inlaws, retired cops both who live in Maricopa county. They can't stand him. They are more conservative than me, and less libertarian, but even they think he goes too far on a lot of stuff, is a grandstander etc etc

They got asked to join his citizen "posse" and they said "um, no"

I think he's gotten to the point where he feeds off of public exposure... He just needs to be on the front page and on the news, and I think that affects some of his policies and decisions. I know two former MCSO deputies who both say he sucked to work for. Otoh, I know some former Phoenix PD cops who thought their chief was pretty cool.

But hey, he's doing something right as far as the residents of MC are concerned because they keep electing him/.

PALO

I'm a libertarian who happens to believe that borders mean something and labor should not be able to travel freely across borders without nations having a say so as to who comes in and who doesn't. That's key to national sovereignty.

That being said, I have a serious problem with local police (sheriff, city cops, etc.) taking an active role in enforcing immigration laws.

Cops are here to serve everybody , especialy those who are a victim of crime, but if the local cops are gung ho about investigating illegals, it creates a strong disincentive for illegal aliens, who are victims of crime to call police and get help. That's bad. It creates a group of (generally otherwise law abiding people) who are afraid to call police if victimized and who naturally are going to view the local police as an enemy, not an ally

That's bad.

The federal govt. and FBI, etc. have expanded into investigating and regulating TONS of stuff that are none of their damn business.

However, immigration/border issues are one of the few issues that are CLEARLY a matter of federal concern. Good. let them handle it. Let local cops handle CRIME.

The last thing I want is a woman who is being beaten by her boyfriend, to be afraid to call police because of her immigration status. That can't stand.

I don't want to embolden thugs - rapists, robbers, burglars, etc. by giving them an entire class of victims - illegal aliens - who they can victimize with impunity because they know these victims will be afraid to call police. And I don't want the illegal aliens to be forced to take the law into their hands in certain cases because they are afraid to let us handle it.

In the past, there have been some immigrant communities from countries where the local police cannot be trusted and they would never call them to report crime. When they have arrived here, many kept the same attitudes. They also don't trust banks and would keep large quantities of cash in their house/ Others in their community KNOW this and would engage in violent home invasions, pistol whippings etc. to rob the victims of money, KNOWING they were too afraid to call the police

we worked really hard ot make inroads in those communities, gain trust etc. No communities should feel that fear of law enforcement but by local cops enforcing immigration laws, we create such communities and that is simply awful

THAT is the primary reason why, despite my belief that borders and immigration laws matter, I don't believe local cops should be enforcing immigration laws

PALO

If you don't see the irony in his post...too bad.

What's ironic, Alanis?

How many crime victims have you interviewed? How many criminals have you interrogated?

Illegal aliens, in jurisdictions where local cops enforce immigration laws ARE prone to be victimized by thugs who are aware they may be afraid to call police. That's not speculation. Dat's a fact.

A lot of people who live "at the margin" of the law and society become especially likely to be victimized by predators. Another good example is prostitutes. Yes, prostitutes can be raped, as well as robbed, assaulted, etc. and of course the perps know the pros may be more hesitant to call police and may be afraid she'd have less credibility with cops,prosecutors etc. when she did.

Runaways are also prone to victimization for similar reasons - afraid to call police and often so destitute etc. that they are just easy prey for predatory criminals and god knows they are out there.

that's sad as hell, and I helped on a case once where a prostitute got viciously beaten and raped. The suspect was convicted.

Jared

@Palo - two posts in a row I agree with! Better stop or a tear could start in space & time.... lol. :p

How are you liking AZ? I still haven't said a word to anybody up here. I'm not sure if you told anybody or not. Since you left, there haven't been any OC issues. Things in MI are really coming around on that front

idea(l)s

What's ironic, Alanis?

How many crime victims have you interviewed? How many criminals have you interrogated?

Illegal aliens, in jurisdictions where local cops enforce immigration laws ARE prone to be victimized by thugs who are aware they may be afraid to call police. That's not speculation. Dat's a fact.

A lot of people who live "at the margin" of the law and society become especially likely to be victimized by predators. Another good example is prostitutes. Yes, prostitutes can be raped, as well as robbed, assaulted, etc. and of course the perps know the pros may be more hesitant to call police and may be afraid she'd have less credibility with cops,prosecutors etc. when she did.

Runaways are also prone to victimization for similar reasons - afraid to call police and often so destitute etc. that they are just easy prey for predatory criminals and god knows they are out there.

that's sad as hell, and I helped on a case once where a prostitute got viciously beaten and raped. The suspect was convicted.

Me thinks you watch too much of "the first 48", just saying....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Yes, In the country that they came from. They are NOT legal citizens in the US and have NO right to be here in the first place.

So they may be murdered with impunity by American criminals?

Perhaps American criminals will start checking IDs, and only murdering those who aren't citizens.

FreeInAZ

How are you liking AZ? I still haven't said a word to anybody up here. I'm not sure if you told anybody or not. Since you left, there haven't been any OC issues. Things in MI are really coming around on that front

Hey - great to hear from you kind Sir! AZ is AWESOME in my book! I didn't tell too many folks to maintain "OPSEC" & keep a certain "shady" police force on their toes and off OCers backs - wondering when I would pop up again ;). Unfortunately they replaced one slightly crooked leader with a totally crooked leader (IMHO) so let's hope they don't back slide.

As always thanks for all your wisdom & kind words, hope life treats you only in the very best ways Jared. :cool:

Last edited: