• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms in Apartments

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
God forbid! :eek:

How dare those neighbors flaunt convention! We'll teach 'em!

Had zero to do with flaunting convention or even with depriving them of their freedom of expression. Had everything to do with maintaining rental value in privately owned property. They (staff & students) were free to rent elsewhere.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Had zero to do with flaunting convention or even with depriving them of their freedom of expression. Had everything to do with maintaining rental value in privately owned property. They (staff & students) were free to rent elsewhere.

If the owner doesn't bother to put it in his lease, you have no right to enforce the rule.

You know, that whole privately owned property thing.

Or perhaps you believe in communism?

Edit: Upon re-reading it seems you were talking about lease clauses. I thought you were talking about HOA rules. My mistake.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If the owner doesn't bother to put it in his lease, you have no right to enforce the rule.

You know, that whole privately owned property thing.

Or perhaps you believe in communism?

Edit: Upon re-reading it seems you were talking about lease clauses. I thought you were talking about HOA rules. My mistake.

Most assuredly was in the lease and further delineated in the included Rules & Regulations.

Don't be insulting Marshall - it ill becomes you.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well, I would have removed that once I realized I was mistaken about the context, but that would seem cheating or something.

I don't know that you were all that far off-base.

Who grants authority to an HOA to protect their property values? Did that grantor have the authority to grant it? Was it one of these state legislatures that pretends to govern by consent? You know, one of the legislatures pretending to govern under a constitution by "we the people of..."?

Sounds a little communistic to me. Somebody presuming to tell another how to use his property under the spurious argument of "protecting" his own property value. If he wants to protect the value of his own property, let him buy the other and control it by lease provision. Or, let the community buy up the unsold stuff and control it by renting only under lease restrictions.

That bit about moving somewhere else cuts both ways. If an HOA nazi wants to protect his property value, let him buy somewhere that he doesn't have to invent spurious, property rights-infringing justifications to do it.

Nobody created the planet, nor the ground upon which the houses are built. No law of the universe says property values must stay level, nor must rise. If a person buys a home in a tight community, he knows the risks. Even the high end stuff in cities eventually falls into decay. No law of the universe or morality says a person is guaranteed no loss of value in his home.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't know that you were all that far off-base.

Who grants authority to an HOA to protect their property values? Did that grantor have the authority to grant it? Was it one of these state legislatures that pretends to govern by consent? You know, one of the legislatures pretending to govern under a constitution by "we the people of..."?

Sounds a little communistic to me. Somebody presuming to tell another how to use his property under the spurious argument of "protecting" his own property value. If he wants to protect the value of his own property, let him buy the other and control it by lease provision. Or, let the community buy up the unsold stuff and control it by renting only under lease restrictions.

That bit about moving somewhere else cuts both ways. If an HOA nazi wants to protect his property value, let him buy somewhere that he doesn't have to invent spurious, property rights-infringing justifications to do it.

Nobody created the planet, nor the ground upon which the houses are built. No law of the universe says property values must stay level, nor must rise. If a person buys a home in a tight community, he knows the risks. Even the high end stuff in cities eventually falls into decay. No law of the universe or morality says a person is guaranteed no loss of value in his home.

There is NO HOA involved. The thread and the posts center around guns in apartments.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114602-Firearms-in-Apartments

The lease terms and rules & regulations are prepared and offered by the property owner and/or management company. There is no negotiating of terms in the case to which I referred. The lease was consistent with the Virginia Tenant Landlord Act and applicants are subject to approval or denial using the same standards.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC55000000013000020000000

Free enterprise is the polar opposite of your contention, not a "little communistic". Perhaps you would do better to read and comprehend the entire thread.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
There is NO HOA involved. The thread and the posts center around guns in apartments.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114602-Firearms-in-Apartments

The lease terms and rules & regulations are prepared and offered by the property owner and/or management company. There is no negotiating of terms in the case to which I referred. The lease was consistent with the Virginia Tenant Landlord Act and applicants are subject to approval or denial using the same standards.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC55000000013000020000000

Free enterprise is the polar opposite of your contention, not a "little communistic". Perhaps you would do better to read and comprehend the entire thread.

OH, for pete's sake, there was an HOA involved in Marshaul's post. He said so. I was commenting on his comments regarding HOA's, without regard to whether he mistook an earlier post.

I'm not the one who needs to "follow" what's going on. Perhaps you need to think just a bit more about what might possibly be going on before jumping to a conclusion and heaving in boldface, underlined caps.

Sheesh!

Last edited:

richarcm

I called the Fair Housing Office at the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation and talked to them about this. The first thing they said that the Act was dependent on interpretation. This bugs me. If your "law" is subject to interpretation then it isn't really a law. Your "law" then is really just an amorphous blank check that can be written for any amount that you wish, when you wish. She said I should consult a lawyer.

However then she went on to explain to me how that one section in the VRLTA only applied to housing that was subsidized. Public housing in the sense that we would typically think of it. I understand the whole "private property" thing. And believe me I appreciate it even when it means I can be fired for no reason at all, guns can be banned, and even white people can be told to leave. My only problem with all of this is that it should be (not necessarily by law, but at least by ethics) be explained from the beginning such as almost all apartment complexes do with pets. Seems to be a pretty important disclaimer that is hidden out of sight from the average renter.

I have also sent anonymous emails to the leasing office letting them know that I had heard that they had such a prohibition clause in their lease and asking if they would remove it if I were to want to lease with them. I have not heard back from them yet.....not sure that I will.

FBrinson

...However then she went on to explain to me how that one section in the VRLTA only applied to housing that was subsidized. Public housing in the sense that we would typically think of it. I understand the whole "private property" thing. And believe me I appreciate it even when it means I can be fired for no reason at all, guns can be banned, and even white people can be told to leave.

what?

richarcm

In other words privately run businesses should be able to make up any rules that they want. If they want only red headed women under 5' on their property and they put that in their contract then I believe that have that right. Just as I have he right to refuse people onto my property using similar criteria. If they want to prohibit all white people or all black, Hispanic or Asian people, that is their right as well. I don't necessarily agree with it. But that is their property.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In other words privately run businesses should be able to make up any rules that they want. If they want only red headed women under 5' on their property and they put that in their contract then I believe that have that right. Just as I have he right to refuse people onto my property using similar criteria. If they want to prohibit all white people or all black, Hispanic or Asian people, that is their right as well. I don't necessarily agree with it. But that is their property.

I don't think so!

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

TFred

I have long held the view that we are waaaay too obsessed with this worship of property rights, and the ability of a property owner to restrict the legal carry of a firearm.

We should instead be constantly promoting how ridiculous the idea is, rather than bowing down to it, just because it exists.

Why do you NEVER hear anyone make the same analogy with someone who chooses to exercise a First Amendment right? Why don't we say things like, "It should be perfectly legal for any business to refuse to serve a blogger who writes things they don't agree with." Or, "It's fine for people to ban Catholics... or Baptists... etc, from their home or store."

Those are utterly ridiculous ideas, and THAT is what we should be pushing, that banning a gun carrier is equally ridiculous and un-American.

Yes, property rights are very important, but abuse of those rights should be ridiculed and exposed to the court of public opinion, not defended.

TFred

Glockster

I have long held the view that we are waaaay too obsessed with this worship of property rights, and the ability of a property owner to restrict the legal carry of a firearm.

We should instead be constantly promoting how ridiculous the idea is, rather than bowing down to it, just because it exists.

Why do you NEVER hear anyone make the same analogy with someone who chooses to exercise a First Amendment right? Why don't we say things like, "It should be perfectly legal for any business to refuse to serve a blogger who writes things they don't agree with." Or, "It's fine for people to ban Catholics... or Baptists... etc, from their home or store."

Those are utterly ridiculous ideas, and THAT is what we should be pushing, that banning a gun carrier is equally ridiculous and un-American.

Yes, property rights are very important, but abuse of those rights should be ridiculed and exposed to the court of public opinion, not defended.

TFred

+ a bunch

I had the same soapbox moment here last year. I understand that property is protected under the constitution(s) and all that but I really do not understand exactly how those particular constitutional rights then should be allowed to supplant another constitutional right such as that granted under the 2A **when** the property owner has made their property open to the public. IAW, you have a bank....you open it for business, and allow any and all walks of life to enter for the purposes of conducting business...why then should you have an additional right to supplant my 2A rights?

And let's play the "what if" game a moment -- I have constitutional rights under the 2A. What if every single financial institution decides to restrict my 2A rights (not so far from reality today actually) and I am thus left with no financial institution that I can conduct business at without being compelled to forego some of my constitutional rights. What if for example, the government then compels me to file my business tax payments via those same financial institutions, and compels me to receive any tax refunds through those same financial institutions, and so on (if you run your own business you are probably well aware of all of these newer requirements either here or fast approaching). Why then isn't this a public policy issue, that if I am being compelled to conduct business with a bank to meet Federal and State requirements, why then is that financial institution allowed to supplant my constitutional rights?

It would seem to me that if in entering a business (or apartment) where I have as part of the general public been invited to conduct a business transaction (or enter into a contract or other legal agreement such as a lease) that I should be protected to exercise my constitutional rights so long as my doing so doesn't infringe upon the right to own property. And I mean the right to own property -- I think that there are very narrow **constitutional** protections for how private property is held and used (which is the basis for zoning laws, property usage restrictions, etc.). Public access certainly changes what a property owner must do with their property -- for example, I have an office with training rooms that are used to conduct training for the public. And in those spaces (and all other public access spaces) I must meet certain code mandated requirements that are not applicable to my private office portion of my office. I do not have the "right" to decide not to have exit signs, required fire prevention or detection equipment, or to lock emergency exits in my public spaces. That's a public policy issue (coupled with the associated safety issues). And it seems to me that openly supplanting or curtailing constitutional rights would also fit within that. If I chose to exercise my 2A right, at a business that has opened itself to the public, how exactly have I infringed upon the property rights of the property owner? It is very ridiculous to suggest that is the affect of simply exercise my 2A rights. If you don't want me to exercise **all** of my constitutional rights, then feel free to close your doors (or leases) to the public.
</rant>

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
+ a bunch

I had the same soapbox moment here last year. I understand that property is protected under the constitution(s) and all that but I really do not understand exactly how those particular constitutional rights then should be allowed to supplant another constitutional right such as that granted under the 2A **when** the property owner has made their property open to the public. IAW, you have a bank....you open it for business, and allow any and all walks of life to enter for the purposes of conducting business...why then should you have an additional right to supplant my 2A rights?
--snipped--
Does my heart good to see others considering the same dilemma and reaching a similar conclusion - one that I have given voice to not infrequently.

IMO - whether I wear a red shirt or carry a defensive handgun should not be cause to restrict me from such businesses that invite the public - no matter if they are a regional mall or a mom n' pop shop, they do not deserve the sheltering umbrella of "private property" to that extent.

There are already anti-discrimination laws that have been enacted utilizing the same reason/logic that I use in broaching this subject.

Add to that that my First Amendment rights are being curtailed by disallowing the legal carry of a handgun.

I do recognize that changing this will be particularly difficult in Virginia where "property rights" are a sacred cow, nevertheless, I will persist.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Why don't we say things like, "It should be perfectly legal for any business to refuse to serve a blogger who writes things they don't agree with." Or, "It's fine for people to ban Catholics... or Baptists... etc, from their home or store."

I say things like this all the time.

+ a bunch

It would seem to me that if in entering a business (or apartment) where I have as part of the general public been invited to conduct a business transaction (or enter into a contract or other legal agreement such as a lease) that I should be protected to exercise my constitutional rights so long as my doing so doesn't infringe upon the right to own property. And I mean the right to own property -- I think that there are very narrow **constitutional** protections for how private property is held and used (which is the basis for zoning laws, property usage restrictions, etc.). Public access certainly changes what a property owner must do with their property -- for example, I have an office with training rooms that are used to conduct training for the public. And in those spaces (and all other public access spaces) I must meet certain code mandated requirements that are not applicable to my private office portion of my office. I do not have the "right" to decide not to have exit signs, required fire prevention or detection equipment, or to lock emergency exits in my public spaces. That's a public policy issue (coupled with the associated safety issues). And it seems to me that openly supplanting or curtailing constitutional rights would also fit within that. If I chose to exercise my 2A right, at a business that has opened itself to the public, how exactly have I infringed upon the property rights of the property owner? It is very ridiculous to suggest that is the affect of simply exercise my 2A rights. If you don't want me to exercise **all** of my constitutional rights, then feel free to close your doors (or leases) to the public.
</rant>

Oh, so as long as I can "own" my property, that's good enough? I don't have to be able to do with it as I please?

Fine, as long as you can "own" your gun, that's good enough. Don't expect to be able to actually use it.

As long as you can speak, you don't need the ability to speak anything you like.

Folks, step back a minute. This is bigger than us. Rights are not rights if they can be trampled at the whim of a politically influential group. The whole point of rights is that they are my freedom, whether you like the consequences or not. So long as they don't infringe on your equal right.

My owning property on which I ban guns is my right, because it does not diminish your right to own your own property and ban guns on it (or not).

Let's play with drdan's logic for a while, shall we?

You have a right to sublet property which you own. Say you decide to let me rent the rooms in your basement (assuming you have one), while you continue to live upstairs. I have a first amendment right to start a grindcore band who practices for several hours every day as loudly as we possibly can. Well, don't expect to have a lease clause requiring low sound levels. I don't care if you have a baby. You're allowed to "own" the house – good enough.

Say you let a front room, with a portion of lawn, to Joe Bob. Joe Bob has a first amendment right to advocate for NAMBLA, and to put yard signs up. Well, don't expect to be able to prohibit that when it's your property. You're allowed to "own" the property – right secured, amirite?

Heck, since we're completely bypassing the requisite sphere-of-rights analysis, I could get really absurd. The second amendment protects the right to target practice on my property, so I'm going to do it in that basement. And, no, I'm not going to tell you whether I have an adequate backstop. Your right to "own" the property is secure – now ****.

I might be more amenable to further discussion if there were actually a majority of owners who prohibit guns on their lease, or business who forbid armed customers. But there aren't.

I lived in San Francisco, for pete's sake, and owned a gun completely in accordance with my landlord's lease. If I can manage that, y'all can manage to find a place in the rest of the free world, or else you're not trying.

Whining because of an occasional, rare inconvenience, and championing throwing out the baby of right with the bathwater of annoyance doesn't exactly make us look very good as we demand respect for our right de jour. That right annoys plenty of people, too.

And let's play the "what if" game a moment -- I have constitutional rights under the 2A. What if every single financial institution decides to restrict my 2A rights (not so far from reality today actually) and I am thus left with no financial institution that I can conduct business at without being compelled to forego some of my constitutional rights. What if for example, the government then compels me to file my business tax payments via those same financial institutions, and compels me to receive any tax refunds through those same financial institutions, and so on (if you run your own business you are probably well aware of all of these newer requirements either here or fast approaching). Why then isn't this a public policy issue, that if I am being compelled to conduct business with a bank to meet Federal and State requirements, why then is that financial institution allowed to supplant my constitutional rights?

What if the sun explodes? What if martians force the moon's orbit to decay? What if a zombie outbreak occurs?

First of all, banking is not the necessity for day to day life it has been cracked up to be. I know plenty of folks who get by without regularly using banking services.

Secondly, it's my opinion that government forcing people to use banks is where the line should be drawn. That's every bit as big a deal as where we can carry our little guns.

And anyway, they already have a mandate for health insurance. If they wanted to try to ban guns in this fashion, that would be the logical industry to utilize.

Last edited: