• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

911 call goes unaided....no police available.....woman raped

We-the-People

This happened in Cave Junction Oregon, in Josephine County. The sheriff's department has been cut to just just 5 deputies plus the sheriff. They operate 5 days per week, 8 hours per day, on a rotating and unpublished schedule. BUT....they weren't working on the morning of August 18th 2012 when a woman called for assistance.

Here is the transcribed 911 call in which the state police call taker can do nothing more than talk to the soon to be victim and suggest she calls 911 if the assailant gets into her home......which is who she called to begin with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwut6UFJfoQ

Last edited:

eye95

The lesson to be learned is that, while having properly functioning LE can help deter and punish crime, it does not keep you safe. Your safety is...

wait for it...

YOUR responsibility.

When you make others responsible for you, you enslave yourself to them.

We-the-People

The lesson to be learned is that, while having properly functioning LE can help deter and punish crime, it does not keep you safe. Your safety is...

wait for it...

YOUR responsibility.

Yep. This tape is a damn good "advertisement" for that exact sentiment.

EMNofSeattle

The real problem is that the federal government destroyed that county's economy by closing the forest service lands to logging. Before the 1980s Josephine county funded themselves by timber royalties, then the Feds closed logging and started giving grants to the counties there, then cut the grants last year. Since the majority of the land Is USFS land they can't sell it and collect property tax, they can't allow logging, so the only option is operate with no effective government as they are now, or to beg congress for cash...this is a perfect example of how over regulation by the government leads to bad things...

Maybe they should start an armed neighborhood watch.... She should buy some guns too

Troy bilt

wait for it...

YOUR responsibility.

When you make others responsible for you, you enslave yourself to them. This is a very strong statement that I believe will even get the non thinkers thinking. Do you mind if I use this at some point:)

eye95

When you make others responsible for you, you enslave yourself to them. This is a very strong statement that I believe will even get the non thinkers thinking. Do you mind if I use this at some point:)

The precise wording I used may be mine, but the idea is an old one, so I don't own it. However, I will gladly take a nickel each time you quote me. ;)

When I was a teacher, I used every opportunity I got to try to teach this lesson. I can't say for sure, but I suspect that the wording of this message slapped a bunch of my students upside the head. About half my students were black. I hope it made them think.

I hope it made all my students think, but when you use the word "enslave," it more aggressively grabs the attention of the segment of the population whose heritage includes slavery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

wait for it...

YOUR responsibility.

+1

The first person responsible for not stopping this crime is the rapist.

The second person responsible for not stopping this crime is the victim.

Fallschirjmäger

Now, according to the police on other forums, if someone had reported a gun they would have "had to respond." Lesson learned here, guys.
Of course, if there had been a gun present the whole 'call the police' thing might not have even been an issue
Except that according to one report, the woman was a "prohibited person" and by law was prevented from having the means to protect herself.
Which kinda brings me back to 'lesson learned.'

We-the-People

Now, according to the police on other forums, if someone had reported a gun they would have "had to respond." Lesson learned here, guys.
Of course, if there had been a gun present the whole 'call the police' thing might not have even been an issue
Except that according to one report, the woman was a "prohibited person" and by law was prevented from having the means to protect herself.
Which kinda brings me back to 'lesson learned.'

Then again, if there isn't a cop to respond, they pretty much can't send one. Which begs the question, what if the 911 caller had called and said "yeah, a guy tried to rape me and the body is laying in my front room"......would they have FOUND a cop to respond?

EMNofSeattle

If I were the elected sheriff I'd make it a policy to say, if somebody is reporting a felony, then wake me up at home and I will get over there...

Of course that would still take too long so having the means to protect yourself is tantamount...

eye95

My policy would be that, if you (being the LEOs under my command) are not working another felony or somehow protecting life or limb, you call in within seconds, the closest officer calling in gets dispatched, as does the next closest. One of the criteria on which I would evaluate the officers is how often they drop what they are doing and respond to a citizen in real need. They should abandon ticket-writing, checkpoints, speedtraps, security checks, and all that other crap, to remember that the slogan on the side of their patrol car that says "to serve and protect."

<o>

EMNofSeattle

My policy would be that, if you (being the LEOs under my command) are not working another felony or somehow protecting life or limb, you call in within seconds, the closest officer calling in gets dispatched, as does the next closest. One of the criteria on which I would evaluate the officers is how often they drop what they are doing and respond to a citizen in real need. They should abandon ticket-writing, checkpoints, speedtraps, security checks, and all that other crap, to remember that the slogan on the side of their patrol car that says "to serve and protect."

<o>

Eye, read the story, this department had 30 officers and had to lay off 25 due to a reduction in federal grants (that wouldn't be nessecary if th county could allow logging but the Feds declared the area a wilderness) they don't have any officers at all working at times and state troopers were dispatched from more then 50 miles away. There was no one to send already on patrol

eye95

Eye, read the story, this department had 30 officers and had to lay off 25 due to a reduction in federal grants (that wouldn't be nessecary if th county could allow logging but the Feds declared the area a wilderness) they don't have any officers at all working at times and state troopers were dispatched from more then 50 miles away. There was no one to send already on patrol

I was responding to the post above mine, not to the story.

However, there should always be an officer on call. If I were in charge, I'd expect there would be someone (if no one else, me!) designated to respond. Period. That is the only real reason to have police.

<o>

We-the-People

Actualy, state troopers were NOT dispatched. No one came until the next day when neighbors called in that the woman had been beaten and raped. There is more to the tapes but I didn't want to post 40 minutes of the state troopers (possibly other officers as well) calling back and forth with dispatch trying to find her and the attacker.

The entire county has been told "if it's not life or death, we're not coming" because we simply don't have the manpower.

countryclubjoe

This scenario begs the question.

Is the goverment obligated under the constitution to protect its citizens? If yes, they clearly violated that obligation in this case.

My .02

CCJ

eye95

It is not so obligated. The courts have ruled such numerous times--and I agree.

It is when the government tries to meet some perceived obligation to each and every individual that it ends up usurping those individual's rights.

The goal of government should be to foster an environment where our rights are generally protected from each other and from the government itself. If it tries to generally protect rights, it will rarely infringe. When it tries to protect all rights for all individuals, it ends up infringing more than it protects.

<o>

EMNofSeattle

This scenario begs the question.

Is the goverment obligated under the constitution to protect its citizens? If yes, they clearly violated that obligation in this case.

My .02

CCJ

No, see Gonzales v. Castle Rock and Warren v. District of Columbia there is not an individual "right" to police protection... the police only have an obligation to the "public at large". think about it, if you had a "right" to police protection then anyone who was the victim of a crime could sue stating their right was violated and that the police are responsible for damages for not responding fast enough....