• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Educational State Forest carry?

lpb8733

We're planning on going to Holmes State or DuPont with a scout group. Many reported bear sightings in the area, us with lots of little kids and mostly moms, few dads.
Based on what I can find, it looks like any form of carry is forbidden in NC Educational State Forest. Granted, some of their posted rules are slightly out-dated and reference repealed statutes, but it looks like we are a no-go for anyone being armed. Can anyone verify this?

I found these rules on the state forest website, the general statutes that they reference seem to give the Forest Service the ability to set rules. The firearms section is partway down page 5, and references the hunting section at the bottom of page 3. I have no hunting license, so that part doesn't seem to be applicable.

Comments? Advice?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

You are only allowed to carry concealed with a permit in a state park, thank GRNC for that. I suggest you read Black V US, and keep your mouth shut. After the Mrs read the ruling she began looking at pocket pistols. For bear you will need something bigger though, at the very least carry bear pepper spray, and a air horn.

Last edited:

lpb8733

I missed the CC part. I've read the Black case before, thanks for the reminder. Since I don't have a permit, I failed to even consider it.

Thanks for the reply, WW, and for giving me another option to consider......

WalkingWolf

I have never had a black bear charge me, but I had a friend and his son was charged by one on Ft Bragg reservation. For the most part I believe black bears are docile, unless you get near a cub.

Skinnedknuckles

You are only allowed to carry concealed with a permit in a state park, thank GRNC for that. I suggest you read Black V US, and keep your mouth shut. After the Mrs read the ruling she began looking at pocket pistols. For bear you will need something bigger though, at the very least carry bear pepper spray, and a air horn.

Be careful about pepper spray. Most containers I've seen sold as "Bear Spray" exceed the maximum size allowed by NC law, as I read it. From http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Pepper-Spray-Laws-Restrictions-sp-6.html "Possession and use of self-defense sprays is lawful for non felons so long as the device does not exceed 150 cubic centimeters (150cc). Section 14-401.6."

If someone has more recent (or valid) information, I would appreciate learning more as we have bears in the neighborhood and I'd like to carry something while walking the dogs in the early morning and late evening.

papa bear

There is also a rule in scouts against self protection. i guess they would rather have the kids shot then the criminal being shot.

i will not violate the rule about doing anything illeagal on this forum, but what they don't know won't hurt them. there is nothing illegal about carrying with scouts, just against they're rules.

WalkingWolf

There is also a rule in scouts against self protection. i guess they would rather have the kids shot then the criminal being shot.

i will not violate the rule about doing anything illeagal on this forum, but what they don't know won't hurt them. there is nothing illegal about carrying with scouts, just against they're rules.

Bear IMO a law that is unconstitutional, is not a law. It is void so the act cannot be illegal. But it is always best to know when to be silent about such thangs.

BTW are you not supposed to be arguing for the right of the bears to eat scouts? I would never condone hurting a wolf just looking for a snack...

lpb8733

I OC'd Saturday when we went with the scouts to decorate the graves of vets, and not a word was said. Of course, we live in a relatively rural area, and several of the parents CC - even at the meetings. I didn't carry at all to the forest today, but the some of the CC parents were there, so we were covered.

papa bear

Bear IMO a law that is unconstitutional, is not a law. It is void so the act cannot be illegal. But it is always best to know when to be silent about such thangs.

BTW are you not supposed to be arguing for the right of the bears to eat scouts? I would never condone hurting a wolf just looking for a snack...

WOLF, i have no problem with a bear eating scouts, just not my scouts. too much paper work, and you have to deal with crying parents and all

but, i have had more problems with two legged predators then four legged ones