• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone Know How to Get Their Hands on .22 LR??

amtilton17

Does anyone have any tips on getting some .22 LR here in Lynchburg? I have heard some stores get regular, limited shipments but you have to be in line at a certain time on a certain day, but I don't know when. While most calibers are coming back in slowly, it is still next to impossible to find 9mm or .22 LR...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There's no problem getting either....it's just expensive.

I just auctioned 500 rounds of 9mm for Scousers defense fund. I also have some 22 LR's I was going to trade or sell at the last gunshow.

Marco

Lately, haven't had problem finding either. Been picking up about 250-500rds of 9mm and 500-1000rds of 22lr each week at Big Boxes stores. Which has allowed me to shoot without having to dip it the raining day supplies.

All I can suggest is be patient and smart when buying.
Would you pay 2x(+) for other items that aren't needed for day to day living? (Rhetorical)
I wouldn't and I ain't doing it for ammo either.

Stop by stores that might sell ammo as often as you can.

And, when supplies return, treat it like other emergency supplies. Buy one extra whenever you can and put it away. This isn't the first "ammo shortage" and it will happen again someday down the rode. Or buy in bulk and set aside, whatever works for you.

"Ammo shortage" = more folks stashing and/or more folks trying to profit... check out the auction sites there is plenty of ammo..

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
As far as the stores in Lynchburg go, I haven't seen any .22LR anywhere between here and Roanoke since February or so, except for some $25/box Federal target ammo at Petry's. I haven't been in the Pawn Shops or Lynchburg Arms though, so they may have it at higher prices. Cheaper Than Dirt has had some if you want to do business with them, but expect to pay a hefty premium for the availability. Cabela's and MidwayUSA have it online maybe once a week, but it goes pretty quickly.

I don't know how much longer the shortages will last, but for my own sake I got a CO2 powered Crosman 1077 repeating air rifle for shooting in the back yard to at least have something to shoot and keep myself amused without having to worry about blowing ammunition that I can't replace.

*Edited to Add: I think Trader Jerry's in Salem gets it in regularly. When I was down there about a month ago they'd received something like a 10,000 round order one day that week and it was all gone within about 1/2 hour of putting it out. You could always check with them to see when their next order will come through and wait for it.

Last edited:

amtilton17

As far as the stores in Lynchburg go, I haven't seen any .22LR anywhere between here and Roanoke since February or so, except for some $25/box Federal target ammo at Petry's. I haven't been in the Pawn Shops or Lynchburg Arms though, so they may have it at higher prices. Cheaper Than Dirt has had some if you want to do business with them, but expect to pay a hefty premium for the availability. Cabela's and MidwayUSA have it online maybe once a week, but it goes pretty quickly.

I don't know how much longer the shortages will last, but for my own sake I got a CO2 powered Crosman 1077 repeating air rifle for shooting in the back yard to at least have something to shoot and keep myself amused without having to worry about blowing ammunition that I can't replace.

Haha, I may end up having to do the same thing lol. Apparently the Lynchburg Walmart gets ammo shipments in almost everyday at 6:00pm. They were supposed to be getting in some .22 yesterday, but it never came in. Maybe it will come in tonight.

67GT390FB

Wards Rd.

i got lucky this weekend and went into a wally world and came out with two 325 rd bricks of federal target 22 for 14.22 each along with some nine and some 45. so its out there. guy at counter said he had stocked the shelves tha morning and that i bought the last of that shipment. i was in there around 2 so the stuff went quick.

half_life1052

*Edited to Add: I think Trader Jerry's in Salem gets it in regularly. When I was down there about a month ago they'd received something like a 10,000 round order one day that week and it was all gone within about 1/2 hour of putting it out. You could always check with them to see when their next order will come through and wait for it.

I heard this morning that Lynchburg Arms has a stock of 22lr. It is going for 22WMR prices though. I have had plenty of luck finding 22WMR and 17HMR online. jmelvin, do you still belong to the club where we shot over the winter? --PM me please

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I do, but only for a month more. Unfortunately the land owner (Mead WestVaCo) has decided to sell the land. The one guy who was doing all of the administrative work to run the hunt club has also been tied up and never has returned my calls on top of it. I'm currently looking for a new hunt club or such so that I have a place to shoot. Once I find something available beyond Lynchburg Arms or Izaak Walton Park of Amherst Co, I'll let you know directly. There are a handful of us who've been displaced as a result of this loss. :(

Blk97F150

With shipping it comes to .057 a round. I can live with that in order to have some .22LR in hand for our training needs.

That's true. I have 'some' already, so it wasn't a big emergency for me. I'll wait until it becomes a bit more available and grab a little more.

Btw, did they have a quantity limit? I think the last one I saw had a limit of 2 per customer.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
That's true. I have 'some' already, so it wasn't a big emergency for me. I'll wait until it becomes a bit more available and grab a little more.

Btw, did they have a quantity limit? I think the last one I saw had a limit of 2 per customer.

When I got to it, it was one box per person. I already had a quantity on hand so 1 box was fine for me.

Marco

Ammo is definitely out there but it does take a little leg work.

I picked up 3 boxes of CCI AR Tactical today (just slightly above pre panic $), the ammo is being donated to the summer camp my kids will be heading to.