• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I KNOW you did not just jiggle my door knob - no you did not!

davidmcbeth

Banned
The woman, later identified as Shirley Roberts, 52, immediately retrieved her gun after she heard someone jiggle the knob of the front door. She also witnessed two additional men heading to the back door.

Group of Thugs Target Seemingly Defenseless Woman — They Had No Idea She Had Been Frequenting the Gun Range

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-idea-she-had-been-frequenting-the-gun-range/

Good for her!

Maverick9

The woman, later identified as Shirley Roberts, 52, immediately retrieved her gun after she heard someone jiggle the knob of the front door. She also witnessed two additional men heading to the back door.

Group of Thugs Target Seemingly Defenseless Woman — They Had No Idea She Had Been Frequenting the Gun Range

“If you’re in fear for your life, most definitely we want you to protect yourself. We don’t want any harm to come to anyone,” Sgt. Marisa Barnes of the Kansas City Police Department told KMBC-TV.

Aww, that's so sweet of her to give permission to save your life.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Thread title is racist? Or, just stereotyping?

No where in the text or news video was the woman quoted saying anything along the lines of the thread title.

stealthyeliminator

No where in the text or news video was the woman quoted saying anything along the lines of the thread title.

Interestingly enough, there are no quotes around the text that comprises the thread title, nor is the phrase credited to the woman that is the subject of the post. Senseless derailing of a perfectly good thread, is about all your posts is positioned to do. Take a chill pill.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Interestingly enough, there are no quotes around the text that comprises the thread title, nor is the phrase credited to the woman that is the subject of the post. Senseless derailing of a perfectly good thread, is about all your posts is positioned to do. Take a chill pill.

Interestingly enough, my point is that the OPer invented the stereotyping thread title out of his own head, not from something said in the story text or news video. Or, racist thread title. But, you knew that. That's why you pretended to go off on a tangent about whether the thread title had quotes.

The proof is easily found in alternate thread titles that would have been even more informative but devoid of racial indication. "Woman shoots intruder while husband is away" or even, "Resident blasts bad guys trying to break in."

Resto Guy

Interestingly enough, my point is that the OPer invented the stereotyping thread title out of his own head, not from something said in the story text or news video. Or, racist thread title. But, you knew that. That's why you pretended to go off on a tangent about whether the thread title had quotes.

The proof is easily found in alternate thread titles that would have been even more informative but devoid of racial indication. "Woman shoots intruder while husband is away" or even, "Resident blasts bad guys trying to break in."

"Racial indication"? And which race would you attribute the title to?

markand

As a victim, I'd prefer not to have my name and photo plastered all over the Internet. Wonder if the victim had a choice in that.

eye95

"Racial indication"? And which race would you attribute the title to?

No one needs attribute anything to anyone. We see who the victim was. We see the fake quote that the OP clearly implies is something that the victim would have said. I would say that any stereotyping is on the part of the OP.

ADobbs1989

The OP did not imply anything about the topic name was a quote. Although the title does include things said in the story she heard someone "jiggle the doorknob". To accuse the OP of anything due to the title is just being ignorant.

Last edited:

eye95

The OP did not imply anything about the topic name was a quote. Although the title does include things said in the story she heard someone "jiggle the doorknob". To accuse the OP of anything due to the title is just being an ignorant ass.

Ah, yes, name-calling. The hallmark of a bankrupt argument.

Folks, think about this for yourself. What is the only reasonable meaning of the thread title?

ADobbs1989

Ah, yes, name-calling. The hallmark of a bankrupt argument.

Folks, think about this for yourself. What is the only reasonable meaning of the thread title?

Lmao, you don't even have an argument. The title is nothing more than a "funny" made up title to draw attention to the story. Basically every media outlet does this. It even makes more sense because the woman was specifically quoted saying she heard someone jiggling the doorknob.

eye95

Meh. I couldn't care less what you think. My appeal in that post was for others to rationally assess the implication of the OP.

Moving on.

ADobbs1989

Meh. I couldn't care less what you think. My appeal in that post was for others to rationally assess the implication of the OP.

Moving on.

And as usual your assessment is borderline retarded. Not that it would matter anyway, the point of the post was the content contained within, not the title. Get off your soapbox no one cares. I do hope you are moving on though, from previous experiences we all know that you are not. (You might since I said this, otherwise you will obviously look like a liar.)

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I've seen a lot of posts de-railed before, but this has to be the quickest.
Why not just say "hey I'm glad she was able to defend herself, and wasn't hurt".

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I've seen a lot of posts de-railed before, but this has to be the quickest.
Why not just say "hey I'm glad she was able to defend herself, and wasn't hurt".

Because we should be advocating the right for minorities to defend themselves, rather than making stereotypical comments.

If the OPer comes to the thread and clarifies that he meant it light-heartedly and without bias, I'll shift my stance. In the meantime, to show the absurdity of thread title, I would ask, why stop only the one comment? If one is going to stereotype, why not just offend as many people as possible with more stereotypical comments in the post itself? Why not toss in some tasteless references to fried chicken and watermelon?

Should we really wait around until the OPer really crosses a line?

Last edited:

palerider116

I found it humorous without even reading the article. I still haven't read it because the thread hit critical mass very early and that enticed me.

I can see the concern in making it sound like a gun owner drilled someone just for jiggling a doorknob. We don't want to be portrayed as people responding to the littlest noise or provocation with a Biden blast through the door with a shotgun.

Happy Memorial Day.

JmE

C'mon! There aren't any racial connotations with the thread title. To imply that there is *could* be considered a 'racist' reaction. I've heard people of different ethnic backgrounds and even genders use the "I know you did not _____ -- Oh, no you didn't!" phrase.

So what race exactly are some of you thinking that the title implies? (I'm heinz57 so I have NO dog in this fight, BTW.) lol

Glock32

Because we should be advocating the right for minorities to defend themselves, rather than making stereotypical comments.

If the OPer comes to the thread and clarifies that he meant it light-heartedly and without bias, I'll shift my stance. In the meantime, to show the absurdity of thread title, I would ask, why stop only the one comment? If one is going to stereotype, why not just offend as many people as possible with more stereotypical comments in the post itself? Why not toss in some tasteless references to fried chicken and watermelon?

Should we really wait around until the OPer really crosses a line?

Project much?

Flopsweat

If you try hard enough, you can see whatever you want in the title. I personally think it's a secret code meant to guide the alien overlords to the invasion rendezvous point. It's not much more of a stretch, and it's way more fun.