• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I KNOW you did not just jiggle my door knob - no you did not!

JmE

From The Blaze article:
immediately retrieved her gun after she heard someone jiggle the knob of the front door. She also witnessed two additional men heading to the back door.

Looking through the blinds, Roberts saw the men putting on gloves and preparing to force their way into her home.
She had situational awareness. She formed a plan and executed that plan. Good for her! :)

From the FOX4 link:
Oscar is convinced learning how to fire a gun at their favorite shooting range saved his wife’s life.
Wise man. They both are doing the right thing in working to ensure their own safety. Outstanding.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Project much?

Oh, sure. I'm such a racist that I'm willing to undermine the whole Second Amendment by criticizing the senate speech made during the debate about the 14th Amendment. You know the one. The one where the senator expressly stated that the 14th was intended also to secure to blacks the right to keep and bear arms. Yep, I'm so alert to hints of racism only because I myself am the chief racist of OCDO. Just ignore my signature line--no truth or sincerity in it at all. Same for my written views on government and consent. Its all just cover to hide my racism. /sarcasm

WalkingWolf

OK, alrighty then! While I did not find the title "racist" I would be a fool not to realize that it was a comic relief based on how some blacks are percieved to talk. If David denies that he is not being honest. Do I think it rose to the level of racism, helll no, but since it did offend some it was Lenny Brucish, and David does tend to run in that direction, pushing the limits to provoke attention.

Do I think for one minute that Citizen is a racist? Again a double HELLL NO! He just pointed out the obvious, the rest is just conflict of personalities.

WalkingWolf

C'mon! There aren't any racial connotations with the thread title. To imply that there is *could* be considered a 'racist' reaction. I've heard people of different ethnic backgrounds and even genders use the "I know you did not _____ -- Oh, no you didn't!" phrase.

So what race exactly are some of you thinking that the title implies? (I'm heinz57 so I have NO dog in this fight, BTW.) lol

Ohhhh come on! That game does not even fly. Your telling me you honestly don't know? Never watched a comedy that uses the hand waving, head swaying, overly exaggerated acting to portray one particular race? Dishonesty does not become anyone!

If I put "How white man" in a title you would not know which race it was mocking? BE HONEST!

Last edited:

MKEgal

markand said:
As a victim, I'd prefer not to have my name and photo plastered all over the Internet. Wonder if the victim had a choice in that.
Well, first, I don't think she's a victim. They intended to make her a victim, but I'd say she came out the victor. Understandably upset & shook up, as her husband says, but not a victim.
Pretty sure if you asked the thugs, they're feeling pretty victimized right now. :lol: Ask me if I care.

Citizen said:
my point is that the OPer invented the stereotyping thread title out of his own head...
alternate thread titles that would have been even more informative but devoid of racial indication.
JmE said:
There aren't any racial connotations with the thread title.
To imply that there is *could* be considered a 'racist' reaction.
I'm usually pretty aware of stereotypes & racism, and I am clueless as to how some of you got from the thread title to "the OP is racist against blacks".
I could see that phrase (or something similar) running through my head when witnessing the beginning of a crime (oh, they are not trying to break in here...), or even the aftermath (you did not just hit my car!).
And while I'm not albino, I'm pretty melanin-impaired. I turn funny colors if I'm in the sun too long. Most of my neighbors are greatly melanin-gifted.

ETA: Here's an actual TV station news story; I can't get the video to run.
http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-cit...kin/-/11664182/20276704/-/jduusl/-/index.html

Last edited:

JmE

Ohhhh come on! That game does not even fly. Your telling me you honestly don't know? Never watched a comedy that uses the hand waving, head swaying, overly exaggerated acting to portray one particular race? Dishonesty does not become anyone!

No, I didn't see that as racist. I read a title that sounded like I've heard some of my friends & family (white, black, Asian, etc) use. Seriously, I don't see anything wrong with the title. People are making fire where there isn't even smoke.

Yes, I've seen comedy routines that use that line but it has been long since co-opted to the point that it isn't ethnically specific. I think the problem experienced in this thread is a product of people's limited exposure to current culture or perhaps even their own issues. The title is not an issue, IMHO.

If I put "How white man" in a title you would not know which race it was mocking? BE HONEST!
Asking "What race?" was to get some to consider if it wasn't their own racial hypersensitivity/insensitivity that was producing the image of a certain race in their head. I had a pretty good guess of what race some considered. I'm aware of some of my own shortcomings on the issue of cultural sensitivity. ;)

However, calling me dishonest (i.e. a liar) isn't a very polite thing to do, especially when you are assuming a whole lot in your reply to me. Please try asking for clarification instead of assuming and then casting aspersions upon my character.

In brief, my question was intended to provoke thought and wasn't meant to mean that I hadn't any clue. If you would've simply asked then I would have clarified.

WalkingWolf

No, I didn't see that as racist. I read a title that sounded like I've heard some of my friends & family (white, black, Asian, etc) use. Seriously, I don't see anything wrong with the title. People are making fire where there isn't even smoke.

Yes, I've seen comedy routines that use that line but it has been long since co-opted to the point that it isn't ethnically specific. I think the problem experienced in this thread is a product of people's limited exposure to current culture or perhaps even their own issues. The title is not an issue, IMHO.

Asking "What race?" was to get some to consider if it wasn't their own racial hypersensitivity/insensitivity that was producing the image of a certain race in their head. I had a pretty good guess of what race some considered. I'm aware of some of my own shortcomings on the issue of cultural sensitivity. ;)

However, calling me dishonest (i.e. a liar) isn't a very polite thing to do, especially when you are assuming a whole lot in your reply to me. Please try asking for clarification instead of assuming and then casting aspersions upon my character.

In brief, my question was intended to provoke thought and wasn't meant to mean that I hadn't any clue. If you would've simply asked then I would have clarified.

You just admitted in your response how the remarks have been used to stereotype, yes you are being dishonest. I do not think the remarks were racist in the OP, obviously you were not listening. But prejudice or stereotyping is not always racist, bigoted at times, certainly stereotyping. There is no doubt in my mind the OP was stereotyping, though not racist it was what it was. Does that make him bad? NO! He was trying to be who he usually tries to be, on the edge. Because some people are honest does not make them hypersensitive. But OTOH clearly those who are wrap themselves in the blanket of denial. Maybe people will not discover their true feelings if they deny it enough.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
One can be stereotypical without being racist. It's not good, but not as bad. FWIW, when I read the thread title, I expected it would be a black woman. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person, but I'm not the one that made it a stereotype, nor am I defending the use of the stereotype.

Now, GOOD FOR THIS WOMAN and her husband! Now, where is the main-stream media?

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

Stereotypes are a part of life, and they wouldn't continue if they wasn't true. The truth isn't bad, and isn't racist. If I post a picture of chicken, waffles, and watermelon I haven't done anything racist, nor pointed out a stereotype. The people who make the connection between the picture and a group of people are the ones doing it. If you don't like stereotypes or racism, then stop making the connections. It's in YOUR head!

We-the-People

1) Racism? Really? Someone has way too much time on their hands. The only racism in this thread is those who are trying to impart racist overtones to a title that is racially benign in this day and age.

2) The homeowner will be lucky if she's not charged with a crime UNFORTUNATELY. While I think she did the right thing (other than only hitting one POS), most (all???) states do NOT allow you to open fire in such a situation. Maybe Kansas does but I'm pretty sure the DA's discretion is her best chance not to be charged. The BG's had not broken into the home (YET) and she premptively opened fire. I personally think that is totally justified as why wait until you have a lesser advantage over someone intent to cause you harm. However, as I said, the law generally doesn't allow this.

Wish her the best of luck.

And can someone please wipe that **** eating grin off her husbands face? LOL He sure is proud of his wife.

WalkingWolf

One can be stereotypical without being racist. It's not good, but not as bad. FWIW, when I read the thread title, I expected it would be a black woman. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person, but I'm not the one that made it a stereotype, nor am I defending the use of the stereotype.

Now, GOOD FOR THIS WOMAN and her husband! Now, where is the main-stream media?

Agree, but mostly with the last line. And no it does not make you a bad person, honestly most of the black people I grew up around did not, and do not talk like that now. It has become one of those things were life copies media, and so now a lot of people talk that way for whatever reason. But the roots of it still are media bias towards black people using stereotypes to make fun of them. Just like the old polish jokes that used to be common. Everybody knows Polish are not stupid, I do not even know where the notion started. If the woman had been blond, and he made a remark that had been associated with blondes it still would be the same as it is with the present title. He knew exactly what he was posting and the response it would bring.

ADobbs1989

Not absolutely, no, but it depends on context and intent (if known or obvious).

Fact remains that regardless of my intention, racism has to be interpreted by the reader. By posting the picture I could be purposefully trying to be racist, or I could not be. Regardless, a reader could either see it as a picture of some food, or could connect it to black people and consider it racist. The stereotype has to already exist within the minds of the people reading it.

WalkingWolf

Fact remains that regardless of my intention, racism has to be interpreted by the reader. By posting the picture I could be purposefully trying to be racist, or I could not be. Regardless, a reader could either see it as a picture of some food, or could connect it to black people and consider it racist. The stereotype has to already exist within the minds of the people reading it.

Then please explain the remarks made after a Tiger Woods win about fried chicken, were they racist? Or did most of the people across the US just perceive them as racist? Some remarks are stupid, and they are stupid because I perceive them to be stupid. Someone who does not see bigotry by associating fried chicken with Tiger Woods or another black person is very very ignorant.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/garcia-controversial-tiger-woods-remarks/

Answer for us, was it stereotyping? Was it bigotry? Or was it just imagination?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Guys,

I think we kinda made our point about stereotyping and racism.

Lets go back to the shooting.

I'm not yet comfortable with the idea she shot through the glass door. Is that legal in her state--to shoot someone who is breaking in? Did the breakers know someone was inside? Did she announce herself such that the breakers, by continuing after the announcement, strongly implied violence against the occupants if entry was gained? Did she see their gun such that it was a tactical decision to shoot without announcing?

Just because the jack-a** media called it a home invasion doesn't make it so. Was there information to distinguish the incident from a daylight burglary?

WalkingWolf

Guys,

I think we kinda made our point about stereotyping and racism.

Lets go back to the shooting.

I'm not yet comfortable with the idea she shot through the glass door. Is that legal in her state--to shoot someone who is breaking in? Did the breakers know someone was inside? Did she announce herself such that the breakers, by continuing after the announcement, strongly implied violence against the occupants if entry was gained? Did she see their gun such that it was a tactical decision to shoot without announcing?

Just because the jack-a** media called it a home invasion doesn't make it so. Was there information to distinguish the incident from a daylight burglary?

Citizen I was trying to find what state it was in, both Mo. and Kansas have a Kansas City. In NC it is legal to shoot through the door if a intruder is trying to break in. Not sure I would consider jiggling the door handle breaking in though. It looks like no charges are to be filed though.

JmE

You just admitted in your response how the remarks have been used to stereotype, yes you are being dishonest. I do not think the remarks were racist in the OP, obviously you were not listening. But prejudice or stereotyping is not always racist, bigoted at times, certainly stereotyping. There is no doubt in my mind the OP was stereotyping, though not racist it was what it was. Does that make him bad? NO! He was trying to be who he usually tries to be, on the edge. Because some people are honest does not make them hypersensitive. But OTOH clearly those who are wrap themselves in the blanket of denial. Maybe people will not discover their true feelings if they deny it enough.

I didn't call anyone hypersensitive/insensitive... Please read my post for comprehension.

ETA: Annnnddd.... you go on ignore....

Last edited: