Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Bellingham VFW definitely unfriendly

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blaine, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,315

    Bellingham VFW definitely unfriendly

    Stopped by for their pancake breakfast. As I sat quietly reading my book and waiting for my breakfast I was approached and told I'd have to leave because they don't allow firearms. I asked if they were serious, then picked up my stuff, got my money back, and left.

    Before I left though...

    "Excuse me. Could I have everyone's attention please. I am being asked to leave because I am carrying a firearm. Apparently at the VFW, an organization devoted to those who fought to defend our freedoms, I am not welcome to quietly eat breakfast and read a book if I am exercising my Second Amendment rights. I think that's pretty disgusting. Have a great Memorial Day."

    The old fellow in charge didn't like that I was speaking out and threw in his own "with a gun" a couple times but the rest of the room was dead silent.

    I won't be back.

  2. #2
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    That's funny since they start off every meeting with their oath to support and defend the State Constitution. I was with one of the VFW chapters here for a year and was in fact a vice commander. I left because I couldn't put up with their nonsense anymore.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  3. #3
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
    Stopped by for their pancake breakfast. As I sat quietly reading my book and waiting for my breakfast I was approached and told I'd have to leave because they don't allow firearms. I asked if they were serious, then picked up my stuff, got my money back, and left.

    Before I left though...

    "Excuse me. Could I have everyone's attention please. I am being asked to leave because I am carrying a firearm. Apparently at the VFW, an organization devoted to those who fought to defend our freedoms, I am not welcome to quietly eat breakfast and read a book if I am exercising my Second Amendment rights. I think that's pretty disgusting. Have a great Memorial Day."

    The old fellow in charge didn't like that I was speaking out and threw in his own "with a gun" a couple times but the rest of the room was dead silent.

    I won't be back.
    Great job on standing up and saying something. +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667

    Bellingham VFW definitely unfriendly

    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Great job on standing up and saying something. +1
    +1
    Live Free or Die!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769
    That it the policy of VFW.

  6. #6
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241
    All the VFW's and American Legions I've been to sell booze, perhaps they are just exercising extra caution with their license.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

  7. #7
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cool

    I would have to say in the VFW meeting that they need to redo the oath as to exclude the parts of the US Constitution they don't like.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Vitaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    593
    The P.O. VFW is effectively a bar, since all the rest of the meeting hall is PAST the bar. The one in Bremerton had signs up, but not sure it has been a while. It would not surprise me that the policy is no firearms.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    The P.O. VFW is effectively a bar, since all the rest of the meeting hall is PAST the bar. The one in Bremerton had signs up, but not sure it has been a while. It would not surprise me that the policy is no firearms.
    Drinkin kinda early in the day though for this to be applicable .... glug glug glug ...

    I have never been in a VFW .. always thought of them as being WWII vet hangouts talking about their adventures in B-52s and all their buddies who bit the dust while fighting the Nazis .... shame that they have this policy...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Drinkin kinda early in the day though for this to be applicable .... glug glug glug ...

    I have never been in a VFW .. always thought of them as being WWII vet hangouts talking about their adventures in B-52s and all their buddies who bit the dust while fighting the Nazis .... shame that they have this policy...
    B-17s, B-24s maybe but the B -52 did not go into service until 1955.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  11. #11
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    I don't remember there being a sign posted by the LCB "21 and over only" at any VFW I've seen, and I took my Hunter safety class at a VFW (but that was back in 1960, I must add)

    Even though I am a Vietnam Vet, I am not a "joiner" when it comes to organizations like the VFW, and I really am not the best source of information that way...but do they have a "21 and over only" sign at the entrance to the building? I'll bet they don't.

  12. #12
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    you know it just hit me, that a couple of the VFWs in this area sponsor gun shows. i have never thought to ask if they had a policy against carry
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  13. #13
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    The P.O. VFW is effectively a bar, since all the rest of the meeting hall is PAST the bar. The one in Bremerton had signs up, but not sure it has been a while. It would not surprise me that the policy is no firearms.
    It is almost humorous that stats show veterans have a higher level of people becoming addicted to drugs and alchohol with a lot of veterans in AA and recovery for alchohol; yet most of these veteran organizations are "BARS". This is the reason I quit going to my American Legion as people where just getting drunk day after day.

  14. #14
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    A lot of our vets from WWII, Vietnam, Korea that make up the greater membership of the VFW suffer from what today known as PTSD and was not treated or understood as well as we do today with many, many more young vets are dealing with today.

    Many of those vets know and deal with still those issues today and likely the reason they resist carrying of firearms in their post today, shame on anyone being critical of them today.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    B-17s, B-24s maybe but the B -52 did not go into service until 1955.
    Meant B-17s .... haha good catch .. an eye for detail is a good eye

  16. #16
    Regular Member Vitaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    A lot of our vets from WWII, Vietnam, Korea that make up the greater membership of the VFW suffer from what today known as PTSD and was not treated or understood as well as we do today with many, many more young vets are dealing with today.

    Many of those vets know and deal with still those issues today and likely the reason they resist carrying of firearms in their post today, shame on anyone being critical of them today.
    Dave, they are welcome as individuals and even as an organization to have rules or make decisions about firearms. Just like any other organization I can choose to support them or not, with my time or with my money.

  17. #17
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    Dave, they are welcome as individuals and even as an organization to have rules or make decisions about firearms. Just like any other organization I can choose to support them or not, with my time or with my money.
    Never suggested otherwise.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  18. #18
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Bellingham VFW definitely unfriendly

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Never suggested otherwise.
    Dave you said "shame on anyone for criticizing them."

    Do we not have a first amendment in your eyes when it deals with criticizing vets that have un-American policies.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  19. #19
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Dave you said "shame on anyone for criticizing them."

    Do we not have a first amendment in your eyes when it deals with criticizing vets that have un-American policies.

    Private Organisation, RIGHT! What don't you understand Tommy?
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  20. #20
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Bellingham VFW definitely unfriendly

    Yes we criticize private organizations all the time and you say nothing until its something that you take offense to. We don't just have rights when it comes to government. We have them all the time. It's up to each individual to stand up for those rights. The bill of rights wasn't put in place to stop the government from trampling them. It's a reminder that governments exist to secure those rights.

    And no my property does not have rights. I have a right to keep my property. Big difference.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  21. #21
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Yes we criticize private organizations all the time and you say nothing until its something that you take offense to. We don't just have rights when it comes to government. We have them all the time. It's up to each individual to stand up for those rights. The bill of rights wasn't put in place to stop the government from trampling them. It's a reminder that governments exist to secure those rights.

    And no my property does not have rights. I have a right to keep my property. Big difference.
    The VFW is not a government entity, you do know that right? probably not!

    You're just wanting a pil$$ing contest, stop trolling.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  22. #22
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Bellingham VFW definitely unfriendly

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    The VFW is not a government entity, you do know that right? probably not!

    You're just wanting a pil$$ing contest, stop trolling.
    Yes I know that it is private. I stated my opinion that is shared by Thomas Jefferson that "governments exist to secure the rights of the people."

    Who do they have to keep those rights secure from then? Private entities perhaps?

    Our rights exist all the time, everywhere.

    Not sure why anyone here thinks that our rights just disappear just because you may step over some imaginary line on the ground.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  23. #23
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Yes I know that it is private. I stated my opinion that is shared by Thomas Jefferson that "governments exist to secure the rights of the people."

    Who do they have to keep those rights secure from then? Private entities perhaps?

    Our rights exist all the time, everywhere.

    Not sure why anyone here thinks that our rights just disappear just because you may step over some imaginary line on the ground.
    +1 but in addition to that, as it's been referred to, this is a VETERANS organization. Veterans were people who thought enough of duty to fight for our constitution, sad to see some of them ******* on it when all is said and done.

  24. #24
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Yes I know that it is private. I stated my opinion that is shared by Thomas Jefferson that "governments exist to secure the rights of the people."

    Who do they have to keep those rights secure from then? Private entities perhaps?

    Our rights exist all the time, everywhere.

    Not sure why anyone here thinks that our rights just disappear just because you may step over some imaginary line on the ground.
    This is supporting the rights of the people! How do you not understand that simple concept?
    Example, you enter a place that prohibits firearms but you carry regardless and asked or told to leave and you refuse to leave, you're arrested and proceed the judicial system, supporting the people's rights!
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  25. #25
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Bellingham VFW definitely unfriendly

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    This is supporting the rights of the people! How do you not understand that simple concept?
    Example, you enter a place that prohibits firearms but you carry regardless and asked or told to leave and you refuse to leave, you're arrested and proceed the judicial system, supporting the people's rights!
    My question is why does anyone have a "right" to take away yours? I thought our rights end where someone else's begins. I have a right to protect my life don't I? Where does it say anywhere that a property owner has a "right" to say I can't protect myself. Either I am welcome with all of my rights or I am not welcome at all. I'm certainly not suggesting that a property owner can't keep his property private. I'm saying that if you're going to invite people in that they should be allowed to bring their rights with them.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •