• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana Open Carry Advocates - CENLA meeting - Alexandria - June 1, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroHog

As it relates to Pennington, he claimed he was arrested and charged with trespassing and a few other charges, with a bond in the thousands. A google search for that showed he was only charged with trespassing and his bond was $300. His version of the facts and public record for his arrest do not match.

That post of his bond was the initial charge which he posted about was increased after the fact by thousands and it was. I have a copy of the paperwork in my possession. The site referenced was not ever updated with the information. He posted that fact and it was ignored.

PS: The drug charge turned out to be false and dropped. The vegetable material found was just yard waste from their shoes tracked in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Vermiform

The man drove up on an incident and, from across the street, filmed it. He happened to be carrying at the time. PERIOD. You are somehow making it out that he is setting up cops from this and I simply don't see. it. When a cop, for whatever reason, comes over then starts hassling him for his legal actions, how would you expect him to react? In the end, they trumped up a charge of trespassing even though he was not on posted property and was never once asked to leave.

Did you read his comments on his videos? Did you see his videos? Do you agree or disagree that he was promising more videos before this last incident?

I'm not arguing his legality of his actions and he very well may have had trumped charges. I'm not even arguing the bond amounts.

HeroHog

I'm done. Argue with yourself. There is no point in it and I have refuted all you have drug up so far and see no point in dragging this any further through the dirt.

MikeMan

That post of his bond was the initial charge which he posted about was increased after the fact by thousands and it was. I have a copy of the paperwork in my possession. The site referenced was not ever updated with the information. He posted that fact and it was ignored.

PS: The drug charge turned out to be false and dropped. The vegetable material found was just yard waste from their shoes tracked in the vehicle.

Care to post any of that information for others to see? What about the arrests of the rest of his family in the same incident?

Last edited:

Vermiform

I'm done. Argue with yourself. There is no point in it and I have refuted all you have drug up so far and see no point in dragging this any further through the dirt.

Please don't confuse me with other people posting in this thread. I very respectfully ask for an answer to my question.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
Don't really see the difference if he was recording other people's interaction or his own. The point is his action (OCing) did not create the recordable event - that rests with those that took exception to it.

--snipped--
It should be the end of the legal matter for sure, but I think that it is precisely where the discussion should begin. We are ambassadors and educators and I contend that the gentleman in question is NOT.
------- ------------ ------------ ------------ ----------
and that is what I am arguing. He is purposely creating encounters by recording LEO while open carrying. He is not initially being stopped for OC, he is drawing their attention to it then acting smug when they take the bait. This type of behavior is killing us. If you saw the videos before he took them down, then I have a question. How are we going to educate those 3 cops he interacted with now? How are we going to educate their peers in the same police department now? We are trying to open doors after he has slammed them shut. This behavior is not "educating", it is "ambush activism" and it is 3 steps back from our 1 step forward.

Your contentions ring hollow. Style can improve one's public image, but does not diminish an action that is not illegal. Again, the responsiblity for the negative reaction rest soley with those that actively, aggressively took part in challanging/threatening him. Had that not happened, what would your objection be? Are we so afraid of others responses/feelings that we must abide by all PC rules? Please understand that I agree with conducting oneself with some reasonable level of conduct - as for me, I smile a lot....even when refusing to give ID or refusing to stop video recording........might even smirk a little too.

I, myself & others, have intentionally gone into the lion's den on more than one occasion, even to the point of bringing a member with us to record whatever transpired. Richmond Coliseum, VA GOP Convention, Richmond City Hall and main library branch - were told in each instance that GSL stickers or guns were not allowed, in the first (Coliseum) we were surrounded by 7-8 officers. Were we instigating? Some members of the press said so. I think we were responding, creating standing. All resistance to our actions did fold under the bright lights and cameras - AND the enforcement rules changed.

As an additional benefit of the media exposure (including the controversy) as well as the posting here on OCDO, VCDL did pick up a sizeable increase in subscribers to our Va-Alert and membership.
http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert

Activism does work - passivity, not so much.

MikeMan

Did you read his comments on his videos? Did you see his videos? Do you agree or disagree that he was promising more videos before this last incident?

I'm not arguing his legality of his actions and he very well may have had trumped charges. I'm not even arguing the bond amounts.

This part of the issue is separate entirely, but worth nothing. This man instigated encounters with the police, then asked for others to pay his legal fees. If you don't see something wron with knowingly creating an issue then asking others to bail you out, we are on totally different pages.

As far as refuting points goes, all herohog has said is "you're wrong" but submitted no source or proof, and has entirely ignored Steve's unprofessional behavior, mud slinging, and insulting of other members within the firearms community.

MikeMan

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
Don't really see the difference if he was recording other people's interaction or his own. The point is his action (OCing) did not create the recordable event - that rests with those that took exception to it.

Your contentions ring hollow. Style can improve one's public image, but does not diminish an action that is not illegal. Again, the responsiblity for the negative reaction rest soley with those that actively, aggressively took part in challanging/threatening him. Had that not happened, what would your objection be? Are we so afraid of others responses/feelings that we must abide by all PC rules? Please understand that I agree with conducting oneself with some reasonable level of conduct - as for me, I smile a lot....even when refusing to give ID or refusing to stop video recording........might even smirk a little too.

I, myself & others, have intentionally gone into the lion's den on more than one occasion, even to the point of bringing a member with us to record whatever transpired. Richmond Coliseum, VA GOP Convention, Richmond City Hall and main library branch - were told in each instance that GSL stickers or guns were not allowed, in the first (Coliseum) we were surrounded by 7-8 officers. Were we instigating? Some members of the press said so. I think we were responding, creating standing. All resistance to our actions did fold under the bright lights and cameras - AND the enforcement rules changed.

As an additional benefit of the media exposure (including the controversy) as well as the posting here on OCDO, VCDL did pick up a sizeable increase in subscribers to our Va-Alert and membership.
http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert

Activism does work - passivity, not so much.

And if you were arrested would you have passed a collection plate or known your situation was a possible outcome of a choice you made and dealt with it?

Vermiform

This part of the issue is separate entirely, but worth nothing. This man instigated encounters with the police, then asked for others to pay his legal fees. If you don't see something wron with knowingly creating an issue then asking others to bail you out, we are on totally different pages.

As far as refuting points goes, all herohog has said is "you're wrong" but submitted no source or proof, and has entirely ignored Steve's unprofessional behavior, mud slinging, and insulting of other members within the firearms community.

I do see that wrong as well, but I am more concerned with his gonzo behavior negatively impacting my rights to open carry. He can look foolish on the internet all he likes, but his behavior in real life burns bridges that so many in the OC movement are attempting to build.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are we far enough off topic to close this thread yet?

I agree that we are.

The OP announced a new gun rights group and were welcomed by members of LOCAL.

Since then it has degenerated into attacks on the veracity of one or more persons.

That will not be condoned on OCDO.

Note that the meeting announcement is still accessible on the OP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.