• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgun in scabbard in vehicle in MI?

Michigander

If the vehicle has a trunk, the law requires that it be stowed in the trunk.

Nope, unless you want to carry with no case.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lt...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227d

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Last edited:

sasha601

Nope, unless you want to carry with no case.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lt...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227d

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

What constitutes a loaded rifle? Is it loaded when magazine attached but no round in the chamber?

Evil Creamsicle

What constitutes a loaded rifle? Is it loaded when magazine attached but no round in the chamber?

I don't know if these terms have been 'legally' defined, but my guess would be yes.
IMO, Magazine in the weapon would be 'loaded', round in the chamber would be 'chambered'

The real question is, how would the cops see it?

...and the answer is, why were they searching your car in the first place ;D

ETA: If there are no rounds in the magazine, then the magazine attached to the gun would not be 'loaded'... again, my opinion. Some cop trying to meet quota may argue otherwise.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

One other important note on this topic is that folks here should be aware of the CB Draco, which is a pistol as far as the law is concerned, and can be carried under a CPL.

http://www.cbrps.com/Products.html

Very cool concept BUT - $240 + S/H? = [$250 - $270].
Then another $600-$700 for a decent Draco + S/H[$25+$35] + FFL fee $35 (typically).

So to get a MI legal pistol in 7.62mm we end up spending between $910 to $1,040? Yikes!

I'd just buy 5 Hi-Points in 45acp & wear them tucked between my hernia belt & my gun belt. :p Hey that would give you 50rnds of 45acp all "MI legal" ;)

Michigander

Very cool concept BUT - $240 + S/H? = [$250 - $270].
Then another $600-$700 for a decent Draco + S/H[$25+$35] + FFL fee $35 (typically).

So to get a MI legal pistol in 7.62mm we end up spending between $910 to $1,040? Yikes!

I'd just buy 5 Hi-Points in 45acp & wear them tucked between my hernia belt & my gun belt. :p Hey that would give you 50rnds of 45acp all "MI legal" ;)

Yes but consider the alternatives. You could get a pre 86 full auto, or get a FFL and get a SBR. Now there is some money.

But then the best option of all is to move to a free state.

FreeInAZ

Yes but consider the alternatives. You could get a pre 86 full auto, or get a FFL and get a SBR. Now there is some money.

But then the best option of all is to move to a free state.

True very true! MI has many, many things going for it. But MI gun law is not one of them. Great people for the most part, just crappy law makers.

FreeInAZ

Hey MI - what do you think of this for a car pistol etc? $600 & made here in AZ :)

[video=youtube;oA90MLTFnek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA90MLTFnek[/video]

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I think every state has gun laws I don't particularly care for. Yes, Michigan's SBR prohibition is ripe for repeal. With the current Governor's disdain for firearm owners, this won't change anytime soon. It is frustrating that it seems while other states are changing their laws for the better, Michigan's legislature is headed by R's that have no interest in expanding gun rights. We should have gotten rid of "No Carry Zones" a long time ago...along with the prohibitions on OC in a vehicle without a CPL, registration, a CPL fee that is outrageous, gun boards, and the ban on SBRs/SBSs and permit-less concealed carry. I don't see anything changing here for quite a while.

Last edited:

casper

Until they figure out that the bad guys don't care one way or the other about the laws, we probably will be stuck with these BS restrictions.:banghead:

Michigander

Hey MI - what do you think of this for a car pistol etc? $600 & made here in AZ :)

The thing is that that is a fully legit pistol, recognized as such by the entirety of the shooting community. (and on a side note if I've got a barrel that short and I'm burning that much powder, I'm generally going to want more lead in my bullets) I'm talking about second gen MiDAPs, which is a category I'd probably leave it out of since it doesn't have any component which can work as a stock or cheek rest. Neat gun though. I wouldn't mind owning one as a backup if I had an AR.

ETA- on the other hand, if it can be fitted with a 16" barrel and a quick detach stock for an OAL under 26" with the stock detached, it'd be good to go as a second gen MiDAP. A permanently attached barrel extension would also suffice to satisfy the law, but is a lot more lame in terms of velocity.

ETA 2- going by their site http://www.extarguns.com/, the OAL is 18", and the barrel is a bit over 8". It'll be to long for MiDAP use. :(

Last edited:

Michigander

Not referring to the people that carry them, referring to the lawmakers that classified them as 'pistols'

That was why I started using that term, but now that they've made it mostly illegal to carry long arms in cars and concealed, I like the idea of calling federal law quick conversion pistol to rifles "second gen MiDAP's" because it's still a dumb ass set of laws that makes it so that we can't carry standard long arms at the ready in vehicles and concealed as CPL holders, never mind the fact CPL's shouldn't exist to begin with.