• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling OC

JohnM15A

Thinking about taking my XDs with me to OR for vacation. My research indicates that I can pack it into checked baggage as long as I meet the requirements. OR has decent OC. I can't get a CC there until I am a resident (maybe, depends on the sheriff). I do plan to take a trip to Durham, CA, Ugh, CA has a NO CARRY... I think I should be grandfathered since I am a grandfather!!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
FOPA will protect you on a direct flight from Virginia to Oregon. Beware of getting your bag(s) from one flight and taking them to a connecting flight. Depending on where you make the connecting flight you may find yourself running afoul of the law (NY City/State & NJ are prime examples, while Chicago does not seem to be a problem).

We should be allowed to check baggage with firearms directly to the destination, without having to claim the baggage and go through the TSA gropulation over the firearms at each connecting point. This would, among other things, avoid the trap that awaits you in NY/NJ on connecting flights or overnight flight delays.

Durham looks to be quite a ways from the Oregon border. Make sure you have a place to securely store your handgun while travelling there & back. Check the Oregon laws regarding innkeepers http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/699.html - you may be able to put a package in the hotel/motel office safe without having to declare the contents, but their liability is pegged at $300.00.

And if you have grandchildren in Claifornia and have not taken steps to move them to Free America you should be horsewhipped!

stay safe.

JohnM15A

Thanks, Skidmark! Our flight has a stop over in Denver but checked baggage is moved from plane to plane by the airline carrier. Good news is that my grandson lives here in VA - sorry I can see the confusion in my post. I will be visiting my Aunt in Durham. I do have a sister in Grass Valley but she is a major lefty - no hope... We go out to OR twice a year to Vacation, have a retirement home there we will move to in 4 years or so. I've been checking out the OR forum here and glad that OR is not to bad if you stay away from the north end where the nutty lefties are located (Portland). OR is a shall issue but they don't honor any out of state CC and it is up to the sheriff to issue out of state or not. CA on the other hand... Probably be better to leave my gun in OR for the trip to CA...

t33j

Practically speaking, places like Maryland and New York have been know not to care about FOPA, and arrest people anyway.

I've checked a firearm twice now; once flying out of Newport News and once out of Reagan National. Both times I've gotten the sense that the airline desk employees in Virginia see a lot of firearms, while those at my destinations see less of it. Each time I was asked to open my handgun case to verify that the gun is unloaded. I also get the sense they're really not sure what they're looking at/for. I have yet to be asked to leave the check-in desk (surrounded by people), handle the gun, or show an empty chamber. The folks running the scanner are probably looking for that. There's really nothing to be worried about.

JohnM15A

Pelican Case

I purchased a Pelican case and fitted everything I plan to take on the trip. I didn't see in the video but should a have an external tag with my name, address and whatnot?

Attachments

• 060413204826.jpg
    060413204826.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Maverick9

I purchased a Pelican case and fitted everything I plan to take on the trip. I didn't see in the video but should a have an external tag with my name, address and whatnot?

I would be very careful about doing this. We've heard stories of TSA cutting locks and stealing firearms. If it were me I'd consider mailing it to my destination using overnight Fed Ex and send it in two pieces, upper and lower, insured.

I say this not having checked FE regs on mailing firearms, but I would think twice about letting the TSA get their grubby mitts on a firearm of mine. If you do it I would insure it for the full value, record the serial number and photograph it and again, put it in two containers, upper separate from lower. It would be less of a target for a TSA agent snatch and grab.

t33j

Well that's not a bad idea I guess, but it has to be inside of your checked luggage which presumably will have a tag of its own. Anybody rummaging around inside is not likely to be the type that would return your gun case to you, no?

That's a nice case, large too. It's difficult to tell from the photo... Can it be locked with an external padlock?

Last edited:

JohnM15A

Yes it has two padlock loops like most Pelican cases. I plan to put the best locks I can find that are NOT TSA approved. TSA approved locks are ones that TSA can eaisly cut off. The whole idea of the locks is that no one but you is allowed to open the case. I re-watched the video and went to his site where it is advisable to put an ID tag on the inside and outside... It was confusing because it is ILLEGAL for the case to be identified as containing a firearm. I'm learning...