• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reno park searches

renoglock22

This is only of interest if they had nothing more than a permit to use public space, which is a question yet unanswered.

From what I read in these ordinances a permit was all they could get. The NRS does mention leasing public property but that is on a monthly basis for long term. Whatever organization had the permit still had no right to restrict access as a special events permit does not give that authority.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
From what I read in these ordinances a permit was all they could get. The NRS does mention leasing public property but that is on a monthly basis for long term. Whatever organization had the permit still had no right to restrict access as a special events permit does not give that authority.

You're making a big leap to your conclusion.

If a private group was given access control, they can tell you no guns. It's as simple as that.

Before you worry too much more about it, find out if IN THIS SPECIFIC INSTANCE they were granted access control. Until you know this, you don't know anything of value about the situation.

renoglock22

You're making a big leap to your conclusion.

If a private group was given access control, they can tell you no guns. It's as simple as that.

Before you worry too much more about it, find out if IN THIS SPECIFIC INSTANCE they were granted access control. Until you know this, you don't know anything of value about the situation.

I just e-mailed the Special events manager asking about access control so we can get an answer straight from the source. I will post the reply when I get it.

DocWalker

I just e-mailed the Special events manager asking about access control so we can get an answer straight from the source. I will post the reply when I get it.

It would also be good to know who gave them access control and under what authority provided they actually had it. They may have been told they could control access but without legal standing.

DVC

Good, and I agree with DW that they may have just THOUGHT they had it -- or even just decided to act as though they did.

However, if there were RPD guys in uniform who agree with them, chances are pretty good they had it.

If they DIDN'T have it, that would be a good thing to bring before the City Council, to have them make sure that future groups are informed about the law.

DocWalker

Good, and I agree with DW that they may have just THOUGHT they had it -- or even just decided to act as though they did.

However, if there were RPD guys in uniform who agree with them, chances are pretty good they had it.

If they DIDN'T have it, that would be a good thing to bring before the City Council, to have them make sure that future groups are informed about the law.

Yes because we know all LEO's know ALL the LAW's and would never just make crap up....

renoglock22

E-mail from Special events manager

This is the e-mail I got back from the city of Reno special events manager and according to this you cannot restrict access to the park during the event.

Hi Mike,

You can control who is in the park by charging a fee, but anyone who pays the fee has the right to be in the park. If it is open to the public, you are not allowed to exclude anyone unless they are causing a disruption that would be dealt with by the Police Department. The City cannot give you legal advice and suggest you consult your own legal counsel if you are considering attempting to exclude persons.

Thank you,
Alexis

Alexis Hill
Special Events Program Manager
Office of the City Manager
w. 775.326.6697
c. 775.771.5512
f. 775.334.2097
e. hilla@reno.gov
Click here for Special event/activity permits

DVC

Well, I guess you should file suit, then. Include the group (for violating that policy), the City (for not enforcing that policy nor making it clear to the group), and RPD for their officers aiding and abetting the group's violation.

renoglock22

Well, I guess you should file suit, then. Include the group (for violating that policy), the City (for not enforcing that policy nor making it clear to the group), and RPD for their officers aiding and abetting the group's violation.

I never went down there but at least now I have the info I need for the next event I go to downtown. Plus this is good info for everyone on the forums to have.

john-in-reno

This is the e-mail I got back from the city of Reno special events manager and according to this you cannot restrict access to the park during the event.

Hi Mike,

You can control who is in the park by charging a fee, but anyone who pays the fee has the right to be in the park. If it is open to the public, you are not allowed to exclude anyone unless they are causing a disruption that would be dealt with by the Police Department. The City cannot give you legal advice and suggest you consult your own legal counsel if you are considering attempting to exclude persons.

Thank you,
Alexis

Alexis Hill
Special Events Program Manager
Office of the City Manager
w. 775.326.6697
c. 775.771.5512
f. 775.334.2097
e. hilla@reno.gov
Click here for Special event/activity permits

This is good info, i was kicked out not this year, but last year for the same thing, Im going to print this letter up and carry it with me for the next time i go to an event