Thread: Detroit Grand Prix on Belle Isle

Detroit Grand Prix on Belle Isle

The following items are NOT permitted through admission gates:

Ladders, scaffolding or other structures, umbrellas, lawn chairs,
    firearms or other weapons, bicycles, roller blades, strollers and wagons.

Pets other than disability assistance dogs are NOT permitted.

http://www.detroitgp.com/assets/FAQ%202013.pdf

"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
    ,,, So Mote Be

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.-- JC

I was certified national chief corner worker, working captain of turn eleven at Road Atlanta for a formula car race, I don't recall what class. A spectator dropped his beer off the bridge, crossing the track there, nearly into Gordon Johncock's cockpit. Distracted, he spun out and we commiserated. If I had had a gun just then ...!

That was my last spectator race. I went on to race chairman and organizer before retiring from club racing. You might look into the state's gun/alcohol prohibitions. Alcohol fuels GP racing, an invisible fire.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-29-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    hi master, long time no see. i'll be calling about this tomorrow. this number rings right through to someone's desk:
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    hi master, long time no see. i'll be calling about this tomorrow. this number rings right through to someone's desk:
    Called this morning, was met with rude resistance. When I said MI preemption 123.1102 may prevent them banning firearms since it was city owned property. I was told It's a sporting event that servers alcohol rented to a private corporation. Try and bring a firearm in and I'll be arrested on the spot by DPD. Since they are renting it they can make whatever rules they want. If I don't like it, don't bother attending. When I asked if they could guarantee the safety of myself and my family their response was "no".

I did however manage to get the contact info for the supervisor setting the policy. He was not available to speak with though.

charles burns
    313-748-1850

Maybe someone here will have better luck then I. I was polite, but wound up hanging up on them because I was biting my lip so hard no to respond when they became rude and verbally yelling at me over the phone for wanting to bring my firearm. Never before have I had such an abusive and rude response from someone representing an organization. I took my turn at bat but apparently struck out this time.

Wishing others better luck
    Hevy
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

LOL, Not who I spoke with, but sounds about as knowledgable and courteous as the lady I spoke to. Although I assure you, I only called once. Maybe others are calling as well Keep calling, maybe they will learn. At least try and educate them.

"We don't want guns on the island." Sounds like a line from, Escape from New York.

I want a unicorn that shoots $100 bills out it's a$$

It's not about what I, you or they want. It's about the legality of their attempt to suppress an individual's right to carry.

Exclamation

Man - what the hell? Detroit has backslid in a major way since the time I left last year. Guess they need LOTS of OC events to make their summer this year? This guy is total ghetto in his manners. The unarmed security can guarantee your safety....yeah...sure they can..

Smart move recording this PUTZ SLM +1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

well... if someone actually goes and is hassled by the organizers, there will be proof that they were warned before hand.

We have the same issue in Kalamazoo. The county thinks if they rent out their property then those people can do basically whatever they want.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    We have the same issue in Kalamazoo. The county thinks if they rent out their property then those people can do basically whatever they want.
    2 pro-2A lawyers I know agree with them (the municipalities). The most favorable prognostication I got from them is: it'd be an interesting case.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Re: Detroit Grand Prix on Belle Isle

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    2 pro-2A lawyers I know agree with them (the municipalities). The most favorable prognostication I got from them is: it'd be an interesting case.
    Well I think most citizens take issue with any city/township that takes tax payer owned property, and "magically" transforms it into "private property" when it suits them. We all know this is wrong, but getting a court to understand this is a different matter sadly. The best way I see to stop this trend is to draw so much attention to the "lack of safety" at these events that it becomes a unwanted burden for event planners/hosts to impose a "crime empowerment zone" at their functions. Look at AB&E for a good example. The promoters fought tooth & nail along with the city of Royal Oak to keep pistols out. The press coverage in my opinion made them buckle. It also let the public know that there would be legally armed citizens in the crowd. End result - contrary to planners fears they had record turnouts & sales. Which tells me these are unfounded & irrational fears that are actually costing events money, not the other way around.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-31-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well I think most citizens take issue with any city/township that takes tax payer owned property, and "magically" transforms it into "private property" when it suits them. We all know this is wrong, but getting a court to understand this is a different matter sadly. The best way I see to stop this trend is to draw so much attention to the "lack of safety" at these events that it becomes a unwanted burden for event planners/hosts to impose a "crime empowerment zone" at their functions. Look at AB&E for a good example. The promoters fought tooth & nail along with the city of Royal Oak to keep pistols out. The press coverage in my opinion made them buckle. It also let the public know that there would be legally armed citizens in the crowd. End result - contrary to planners fears they had record turnouts & sales. Which tells me these are unfounded & irrational fears that are actually costing events money, not the other way around.
    And over in GR the coverage only emboldened Heartwell.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Hmmm...I can't even imagine why a bunch of paranoid, gun nuts, dealing with an appendage OAL issues, feel the need to carry a firearm to this event.

Where do we park?
    Event parking is not available on Belle Isle. A park & ride system operates from downtown Detroit, and from Windsor, Ontario to Belle Isle. The park & ride system and associated fees will be posted on the website closer to the date of the event.

Sometimes there's just no fixing stupid..

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    Hmmm...I can't even imagine why a bunch of paranoid, gun nuts, dealing with an appendage OAL issues, feel the need to carry a firearm to this event.
    I am very happy with my OAL of my appendage, so speak for your self . Well we all know that gangs & flash mobs (not the GLEE ones) never happen near downtown Detroit...

so... how long until heartwell decides to lease the library building to the library and allow them to make their own rules?

Anyone OC there? Was shady grady correct in his assertion that they could ban firearms?

Anyone OC there? Was shady grady correct in his assertion that they could ban firearms?
    All I will say is, I was there... There were no metal detectors.....They did not pat you down...... I plea the 5th for any other questions

As always - smart man. +1. Did they have thousands of security "agents" onsite? Something tells me no.

As always - smart man. +1. Did they have thousands of security "agents" onsite? Something tells me no.

I know of another island where there was no security agents and no guns... sans a couple in the hands of a guy dressed up like a police officer....
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    I know of another island where there was no security agents and no guns... sans a couple in the hands of a guy dressed up like a police officer....
    Oh but that was far away in a country much more violent then Detroit, Mi. USA.....no way something like that could ever happen in the utopia we know as DETROIT.... so says the phone guru's @ the grand prix office. /off sarcasm now.

the phone guru's @ the grand prix office.
    Some of them sounded like grand prix.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Some of them sounded like grand prix.
    Outstanding! Wish I would thought that one up Dan.