Thread: Carry on state property??

Question Carry on state property??

Since I feel like being a lazy SOB today, can anyone tell me what the rules are regarding carry (open or concealed) on state property before I go and look them up?

I took my wife for a doctors appointment at UCONN in Farmington and was told by a UCONN cop that carry of any kind is prohibited on state property.

That didn't sound kosher to me but I couldn't remember that part of the law.

The cop was pleasant and professional, but I think he's wrong.

Thanks.

Re: Carry on state property??

False info. Carry on the UCONN campus is not illegal either. UCONN may ban carry but you can only be trespassesed.

Sent from the back of a black van

The LEO is most likely wrong, depending on your particular situation.

http://ctcarry.com/FAQ/Details/86b57...7-c9881ddcc3c3
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

LOTS of people, including LEO's, are often confused about carrying on college campuses, mostly due to media exploitation of incidents that occur on college campuses and other school properties. UCONN specifically may or may not ban carrying on campus, or in specific buildings. but as Rich displayed above, unless otherwise displayed, it's only illegal to carry on the property of a K-12 school...

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property or at such school-sponsored activity, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person's employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of such peace officer's official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.
    Last edited by motoxmann; 05-30-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    The LEO is most likely wrong, depending on your particular situation.

http://ctcarry.com/FAQ/Details/86b57...7-c9881ddcc3c3
    What concerns me is a carrier who does not know where can carry --- begging for issues?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    What concerns me is a carrier who does not know where can carry --- begging for issues?
    Confusion abounds because the state wants it that way, class D felony in most cases if you carry somewhere prohibited, if they really wanted to make it clear where you cannot carry your gun they would create a nice list and post it on ct.gov like other states do, it would be easy for them to do, something like this one: www.ctpistolpermit.com/carry they would also mandate that anyone who wishes to use their authority as a person in control of a premises to prohibit firearms to post a big sign stating so instead of letting us guess or have to ask to avoid inadvertently becoming a felon (which is what the people who wrote these laws want to happen).
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    LOTS of people, including LEO's, are often confused about carrying on college campuses, mostly due to media exploitation of incidents that occur on college campuses and other school properties. UCONN specifically may or may not ban carrying on campus, or in specific buildings. but as Rich displayed above, unless otherwise displayed, it's only illegal to carry on the property of a K-12 school...

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property or at such school-sponsored activity, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person's employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of such peace officer's official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.
    I guess that when I mentioned UCONN, the natural assumption was the college campus. This happened at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.

UCONN Medical Center

UConn Medical Center is a division of the University of Connecticut
    "It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice"
    Member: NRA - Life, CCDL,
    CT, MA, UT, FLA Pistol Permit Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor - Professional Safety Training