Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: You just never know....

  1. #1
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    You just never know....

    I stopped in to a local store today to pick up something for a class. Its an obscure kind of store, and not gun related.

    When I entered, there was an older Asian woman holding a baby. She did not speak English and motioned to me that she was going to get an employee. The employee came out and I purchased my item, during which time we started talking about guns. He was very knowledgeable and well spoken. He told me how he carries all the time and the small bulge under his shirt confirmed that. He asked me if I like AR's and proceeded to go in the back and bring out 2 AR's that he had. He was quite proud of the accessories on them and the trigger work that he did himself. Now, keep in mind, this is not a store that has anything to do with guns. Sometimes, you just never know what's hiding in the back room! Be alert out there!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    That's a great story.

    What were your observations from a safety instructor standpoint? Did he do a good job of following the safety rules.... clearing the weapon before showing it to you, watching where it was pointed, etc?

  3. #3
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    That's a great story.

    What were your observations from a safety instructor standpoint? Did he do a good job of following the safety rules.... clearing the weapon before showing it to you, watching where it was pointed, etc?
    Yep, he was perfectly safe!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Good story Jim and yes...every now and then they come out of left field and surprise you.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I know stereotyping is A Bad ThingTM, but there are certain groups that are more likely than not to be quietly and capably armed. As but one example, remember that the merchants of Koreatown in LA did not need to go home to get the firearms they used to protect their property during the Rodney King riots.

    I'm not going to name which Chinese food place, staffed by Mexican cooks, has several employees walking around armed, as well as a 870 Marine in the back. On the other hand, a certain convenience store from which the manager/owner was abducted and killed, is still unarmed, although they do not object to OCing in there. Another convenience store owned and staffed by a different demographic, on the other side and down the road a bit, has someone who knows the manager hanging out there a lot just shooting the breeze.

    IIRC there was a small chain of convenience stores in the VCU area that went from being helpless and robbed to being a bit less helpless. ProShooter knows of whom I speak.

    I know OCDO is dedicated to the lawful open carry of handguns, but we do encounter a number of folks who understand that concealed means concealed. They are our friends.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I stopped in to a local store today to pick up something for a class. Its an obscure kind of store, and not gun related.

    When I entered, there was an older Asian woman holding a baby. She did not speak English and motioned to me that she was going to get an employee. The employee came out and I purchased my item, during which time we started talking about guns. He was very knowledgeable and well spoken. He told me how he carries all the time and the small bulge under his shirt confirmed that. He asked me if I like AR's and proceeded to go in the back and bring out 2 AR's that he had. He was quite proud of the accessories on them and the trigger work that he did himself. Now, keep in mind, this is not a store that has anything to do with guns. Sometimes, you just never know what's hiding in the back room! Be alert out there!


    ^emphasis mine:
    Employee's /owner's always seem to want to show me their firearms at times other customers join in.
    Fortunately, everyone has been safe...

    This includes my Dr., Pharmacist, several store clerks,
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    One of my favorite "I'll show you mine" Stories.

    Sidestreet and I were leaving RCD after breakfast one morning. We were both on our motorcycles. A fellow pulled in on his Harley, wearing colors and making noise. As we were getting to our bikes he yelled at me "You don't look bad enough to be carrying a 45"...I said "I'm not. When you're a candya$$ like me you carry a big gun".

    He walked over and pulled his jacket back and said with a grin.... "Me too...You guys want to pledge the club?"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    634

    Yep, I remember that as well...,

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    One of my favorite "I'll show you mine" Stories.

    Sidestreet and I were leaving RCD after breakfast one morning. We were both on our motorcycles. A fellow pulled in on his Harley, wearing colors and making noise. As we were getting to our bikes he yelled at me "You don't look bad enough to be carrying a 45"...I said "I'm not. When you're a candya$$ like me you carry a big gun".

    He walked over and pulled his jacket back and said with a grin.... "Me too...You guys want to pledge the club?"
    of course I only had a "gurley" gun on at the time. I'm not "bad", I'm not exactly a "candy" either, but I am an a$$hole and I've worked hard to get to that recognition, and I don't get too upset about being called that unless it isn't preceded by an adjective such as 'Huge", "Big", "Sorry", or my personal favorite "Perfect" a$$hole!

    sidestreet

    Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

    we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.
    Last edited by sidestreet; 05-31-2013 at 03:32 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Hold on there a minute young fella

    Quote Originally Posted by sidestreet View Post
    of course I only had a "gurley" gun on at the time. I'm not "bad", I'm not exactly a "candy" either, but I am an a$$hole and I've worked hard to get to that recognition, and I don't get too upset about being called that unless it isn't preceded by an adjective such as 'Huge", "Big", "Sorry", or my personal favorite "Perfect" a$$hole!

    sidestreet

    Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

    we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.
    LOL You are probably one of the last 10 nice guys left on the planet.

    As we both KNOW, that "Perfect" title belongs to me. You may be 'Huge", "Big", or "Sorry", but the last one is exclusively mine and I have the scars to prove it! (And NO you don't want to see them!)

    ;>)

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    634

    Well, first of all...,

    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    LOL You are probably one of the last 10 nice guys left on the planet.

    As we both KNOW, that "Perfect" title belongs to me. You may be 'Huge", "Big", or "Sorry", but the last one is exclusively mine and I have the scars to prove it! (And NO you don't want to see them!)

    ;>)
    You can't prove that first sentence, as long as YOU'RE still alive!

    Secondly, as you/me/us/all well know, our government has forever proven that some "Perfect" people are "More Perfect" than other "Perfect" people! So..., THERE!!! (with apologies to "Animal Farm")

    sidestreet

    Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

    we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •