• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You just never know....

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I stopped in to a local store today to pick up something for a class. Its an obscure kind of store, and not gun related.

When I entered, there was an older Asian woman holding a baby. She did not speak English and motioned to me that she was going to get an employee. The employee came out and I purchased my item, during which time we started talking about guns. He was very knowledgeable and well spoken. He told me how he carries all the time and the small bulge under his shirt confirmed that. He asked me if I like AR's and proceeded to go in the back and bring out 2 AR's that he had. He was quite proud of the accessories on them and the trigger work that he did himself. Now, keep in mind, this is not a store that has anything to do with guns. Sometimes, you just never know what's hiding in the back room! Be alert out there!

Blk97F150

That's a great story.

What were your observations from a safety instructor standpoint? Did he do a good job of following the safety rules.... clearing the weapon before showing it to you, watching where it was pointed, etc?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good story Jim and yes...every now and then they come out of left field and surprise you.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I know stereotyping is A Bad Thing[SUP]TM[/SUP], but there are certain groups that are more likely than not to be quietly and capably armed. As but one example, remember that the merchants of Koreatown in LA did not need to go home to get the firearms they used to protect their property during the Rodney King riots.

I'm not going to name which Chinese food place, staffed by Mexican cooks, has several employees walking around armed, as well as a 870 Marine in the back. On the other hand, a certain convenience store from which the manager/owner was abducted and killed, is still unarmed, although they do not object to OCing in there. Another convenience store owned and staffed by a different demographic, on the other side and down the road a bit, has someone who knows the manager hanging out there a lot just shooting the breeze.

IIRC there was a small chain of convenience stores in the VCU area that went from being helpless and robbed to being a bit less helpless. ProShooter knows of whom I speak.

I know OCDO is dedicated to the lawful open carry of handguns, but we do encounter a number of folks who understand that concealed means concealed. They are our friends.

stay safe.

Marco

I stopped in to a local store today to pick up something for a class. Its an obscure kind of store, and not gun related.

When I entered, there was an older Asian woman holding a baby. She did not speak English and motioned to me that she was going to get an employee. The employee came out and I purchased my item, during which time we started talking about guns. He was very knowledgeable and well spoken. He told me how he carries all the time and the small bulge under his shirt confirmed that. He asked me if I like AR's and proceeded to go in the back and bring out 2 AR's that he had. He was quite proud of the accessories on them and the trigger work that he did himself. Now, keep in mind, this is not a store that has anything to do with guns. Sometimes, you just never know what's hiding in the back room! Be alert out there!

^emphasis mine:
Employee's /owner's always seem to want to show me their firearms at times other customers join in.
Fortunately, everyone has been safe...

This includes my Dr., Pharmacist, several store clerks,

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One of my favorite "I'll show you mine" Stories.

Sidestreet and I were leaving RCD after breakfast one morning. We were both on our motorcycles. A fellow pulled in on his Harley, wearing colors and making noise. As we were getting to our bikes he yelled at me "You don't look bad enough to be carrying a 45"...I said "I'm not. When you're a candya$$ like me you carry a big gun".:lol:

He walked over and pulled his jacket back and said with a grin.... "Me too...You guys want to pledge the club?":uhoh:

sidestreet

Yep, I remember that as well...,

One of my favorite "I'll show you mine" Stories.

Sidestreet and I were leaving RCD after breakfast one morning. We were both on our motorcycles. A fellow pulled in on his Harley, wearing colors and making noise. As we were getting to our bikes he yelled at me "You don't look bad enough to be carrying a 45"...I said "I'm not. When you're a candya$$ like me you carry a big gun".:lol:

He walked over and pulled his jacket back and said with a grin.... "Me too...You guys want to pledge the club?":uhoh:

of course I only had a "gurley" gun on at the time. I'm not "bad", I'm not exactly a "candy" either, but I am an a$$hole and I've worked hard to get to that recognition, and I don't get too upset about being called that unless it isn't preceded by an adjective such as 'Huge", "Big", "Sorry", or my personal favorite "Perfect" a$$hole! ;)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Hold on there a minute young fella

of course I only had a "gurley" gun on at the time. I'm not "bad", I'm not exactly a "candy" either, but I am an a$$hole and I've worked hard to get to that recognition, and I don't get too upset about being called that unless it isn't preceded by an adjective such as 'Huge", "Big", "Sorry", or my personal favorite "Perfect" a$$hole! ;)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

LOL You are probably one of the last 10 nice guys left on the planet.

As we both KNOW, that "Perfect" title belongs to me. You may be 'Huge", "Big", or "Sorry", but the last one is exclusively mine and I have the scars to prove it! (And NO you don't want to see them!)

;>)

sidestreet

Well, first of all...,

LOL You are probably one of the last 10 nice guys left on the planet.

As we both KNOW, that "Perfect" title belongs to me. You may be 'Huge", "Big", or "Sorry", but the last one is exclusively mine and I have the scars to prove it! (And NO you don't want to see them!)

;>)

You can't prove that first sentence, as long as YOU'RE still alive!

Secondly, as you/me/us/all well know, our government has forever proven that some "Perfect" people are "More Perfect" than other "Perfect" people! So..., THERE!!! ;) (with apologies to "Animal Farm")

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13