• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Route Takes Me Through Denver County

shaun

I'll be riding up on the motorcycle to Buckley Friday, which a small portion takes me into Denver county to get to I-225. I've seen forum about stopping at gas stations, etc. but was curious about getting pulled over in that section because a gun is holstered on my side. Yes, I know I could just conceal but then I have a potential issue when I have to get off the bike with no CHP. Under interstate laws, I am protected since I'm going from point a to b, right?

Yes, I could avoid altogether via E-470, but would like to avoid the toll. Anyone experience problems in that area while OC'ing on a motorcycle, while not breaking sny traffic laws to warrant being pulled over?

centsi

Campaign Veteran
Technically you CAN travel through Denver with your OCed firearm, but you cannot get off your bike. I don't have time right now to dig through the law to provide you all of the cites, but I have researched this before and that is the case.

EDIT: If you are OCing a loaded firearm you are not covered by the interstate transportation exemption. You are covered by the protections of Colorado's state preemption laws regarding private motor vehicle travel. That's the part of SB25 that was NOT overturned in favor of Denver.

Last edited:

shaun

Thanks guys and thanks for mentioning about no time for looking through the law. Trust me, I've been reading and re-reading prior to posts so I don't look like an arse (I do that enough on my own without having to go through forums).

I planned the route to just use E-470. The 9 bucks or so is much cheaper than hiring a lawyer or posting bail. Even the wife last night said "You're going to Denver". I admitted defeat and told her yeah, I have a work around.

Also with the wind as bad as it was, and turned out traffic was hell in CS and Denver, I took the truck. The only annoyances (not really an annoyance but nothing to read while I waited) was waiting 30 minutes for the armorer on base to safely store my items and provide me with a hand receipt. Fortunately, there is a nice little turn off away from prying eyes where I can disarm, package in the obligatory separate locked containers placed in the furthest rear position of the vehicle (in both auto and on bike :D) about a mile from base once I get off the toll road. And yeah, I was looking everywhere for the Denver County road sign.

Thankful the base commander remembers all of his visitors and allows for the temporary transport. The base where I work ... you can try ... do you feel lucky?

shaun

If you are OCing a loaded firearm you are not covered by the interstate transportation exemption. You are covered by the protections of Colorado's state preemption laws regarding private motor vehicle travel.

Very good point to bring up and thank you for saying it. Each state dictates the means of the transport. Some allow on you, some require it to be visible, yet loaded (i.e. on the seat) and others ... lock it up and hope your combo input is faster than the BGs trigger finger.