• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

(deleted)

centsi

Campaign Veteran
You are legal at 18 to OC. Spend some time reading up on the law though and carry camera (or be comfortable using your smartphone to record QUICKLY under stress)

rushcreek2

Welcome to OCDO.

The Colorado Constitution elaborates on the 2nd Amendment to make it absolutely clear that the RIGHT of NO person to keep and bear arms shall be called into question.......save... nothing therein shall be so construed as to encourage the practice of carrying concealed weapons. ( My language)

I would encourage you to get with some of the Colorado Springs OC folks who are quite active , and have OC meet & greets pretty regularly.

www.opencarrycolorado.com

Your age is going to add some scrutiny to your open carry. That isn't right.

You have just as much right to be armed in defense of your person as I do at age 70.

I would simply suggest that you focus on this disparity ( due to age) and proceed cautiously. Mind due diligence in preparing yourself for any public presentation. Be judicious. Not every public venue is going to be "good territory".

Since you are not yet eligible for a CHP, you have no flexibility regarding CC vs OC. You absolutely MUST OC- for now.

Your DEMEANOR, YOUR APPEARANCE, HAIRCUT, STYLE OF DRESS - are all critical to acceptance.

One other suggestion that I would offer is this - when you practice public OC do it DELIBERATELY. Do not " hang out",
"loiter", or act listless. Go deliberately about your ERRANDS. Present yourself as the law allows - a person who has the RIGHT to be armed for their defense.

Since you are here on this site, I am assuming that you have researched Colorado law regarding open carry, concealed carry, AND PRIVATE PROPERTY prerogatives to deny you the right to exercise your RIGHT on THEIR property.

Hopefully some of the local crew will offer further support.

Be on guard that there are plenty of folks out there in the public square who will take exception to your exercise of your right.

Last but perhaps not least - SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.

BTW - How do you carry ?

Saxxon

Sounds like you have done some reading and thought on this. The thing with demeanor, you are carrying a tool (of self defense) just like you would carry any other belt mounted tool, ie a 'Driod. Only unless you are asked about it, or in a place where its an expected topic like a sporting goods store; don't mention, refer to, talk about or point to your firearm. Those acts may be construed by a malicious LEO to accuse you of disorderly conduct, threatening or intimidation. Not to say it would stick, but it gives them a toehold whereas no unsolicited reference by you about your firearm leaves them no leg to stand on in saying it was used as an implied threat.

mobiushky

Solid advice, thank you.

I would never dream of pointing my weapon unless it was needed. So far I've carried at Circle K, One Stop Pawn (browsing a couple shotguns),Wallmart, Panda Express, Staples, and Qdoba. Nobody has batted an eye. My only encounter with law enforcement was a Sheriff's Deputy at Qdoba who gave me a polite nod.

Thank you for all of the tips guys. I look forward to being a member of the OpenCarry.org community!

Carry condition of the firearm is more about comfort in the draw. You can carry condition 1 (depending on the firearm) if you are well practiced in drawing properly and not fingering the trigger. Take time to practice draws. Empty the gun and just draw and re-holster 100 times a day. Get your self to the point that you don't even think about the actions and are doing the same thing all the time. Unless your gun is drop sensitive (only a few are really) there only possible way you could have an ND is during the draw and re-holster. While the gun is in the holster, it won't fire. Unless it's drop sensitive and then maybe (big maybe) you might smack the holster on something hard enough to have it go off. So basically practice the draw. then practice it more. Then practice it in the mirror, then on a train, on a plane... Oh, sorry. LOL. But seriously, practice practice practice.