• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

idiot gun carrier @ Disney

Ca Patriot

a person should always take care of their gun but with millions of carriers in America accidents do happen.

EMNofSeattle

I can't blame him, I about Swiss cheesed the Yetti on Matterhorn Mountain myself, stupid Yetti shouldn't sneak up on people like that, so what the Yetti scares the hell out of this guy, he draws down and forgets to re-holster.....

images

See if that guy ambushed me i might forget my gun on the coaster too...

eye95

Disney does not allow weapons of any kind.

There are no metal detectors and no pat-downs.

So I see three kinds of people carrying in to the park.

1. Folks who don't know (like the titular idiot).
2. Folks who think that their right to carry trumps the property owner's rights.
3. Criminals.

So, when you go to Disney, the only people carrying will be idiots, folks who don't respect your rights, and criminals. Are those the only people Disney wants armed in their parks?

*shudder*

EMNofSeattle

Disney does not allow weapons of any kind.

There are no metal detectors and no pat-downs.

So I see three kinds of people carrying in to the park.

1. Folks who don't know (like the titular idiot).
2. Folks who think that their right to carry trumps the property owner's rights.
3. Criminals.

So, when you go to Disney, the only people carrying will be idiots, folks who don't respect your rights, and criminals. Are those the only people Disney wants armed in their parks?

*shudder*

or people who do know, and do respect property, but think what 'ol Mickey doesn't know won't hurt him....

Tess

Founder's Club Member
or people who do know, and do respect property, but think what 'ol Mickey doesn't know won't hurt him....

They can "claim" all they want to respect property rights, but ignoring stated wishes is, to me, not respect.

EMNofSeattle

They can "claim" all they want to respect property rights, but ignoring stated wishes is, to me, not respect.

Actually I think Disney World is subject to Florida preemption. this is because Walt Disney World is given the legal status of a quasi municipal district in Florida (Reedy Creek Improvement district), and is a district of Lake Buena Vista, an incorporated city with a population of 10 people, all employees of WDW. A city and district created just so Disney could alter property tax and pay tax purely into their own parks AND deny business licenses to keep competitors and non disney vendors away from the resort. in order to meet laws requiring cities to provide 911 service they have contract sheriff offices and fire department stations on the park itself. etc etc etc. so WDW is not purely "private property" it's "public property" owned by disney, leased to disney....

So since this is all a municipal unit of government, they have the restrictions of a municipal government, including preemption.

Last edited:

VanillaBK

So since this is all a municipal unit of government, they have the restrictions of a municipal government, including preemption.

Well, this is an interesting topic. I personally wouldn't want to go up against Mickey in court, those pockets are way too deep. I wonder how their policy reads. I'm going to look into this.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

ADobbs1989

As long as I'm in a state where policies and signs have no legal weight, I carry when and where I want to. I don't even look for signs because they are of no importance. I leave when asked to by the owner or manager, and not a second before.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As long as I'm in a state where policies and signs have no legal weight, I carry when and where I want to. I don't even look for signs because they are of no importance. I leave when asked to by the owner or manager, and not a second before.

And you make things that much more difficult for the rest of us.

You are not going to get someone to change their mind by ignoring their signs and forcing them to tell you to leave, and especially not by making them take the time to get the local law there to hear them tell you to leave.

What's your address? I'll come over and track my muddy boots through your place, spit on the floor, pee in the corners and drop my candy wrappers all over the place until you ask me to leave, and not a second before. But as soon as you ask me to, I will respect your request.

stay safe.

MagiK_SacK

You are not going to get someone to change their mind by ignoring their signs and forcing them to tell you to leave, and especially not by making them take the time to get the local law there to hear them tell you to leave.

What's your address? I'll come over and track my muddy boots through your place, spit on the floor, pee in the corners and drop my candy wrappers all over the place until you ask me to leave, and not a second before. But as soon as you ask me to, I will respect your request.

stay safe.

+1

Not only that, but why would you want to give your money to an establishment that chooses not to respect the rights of its patrons? :banghead: Those signs are a great indicator for me. They don't want me armed, then they don't want my money, simple as that.

ADobbs1989

stay safe.

Who said anything about calling the police? If they do that then it's their own issues, as I will abide by their request to leave. The difference between my home and their business is that their business (at least in my state) is considered a public place "Any place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful purpose". My home does not fit that definition, and if you enter my home without my permission to begin with, I have the right to use force, up to and including deadly, to remove you. I follow the law, and that's all that's required of me.

MKEgal

eye95 said:
3. Criminals.
EMNofSeattle said:
or people who do know, and do respect property, but think what 'ol Mickey doesn't know won't hurt him...
That would be in category #2.
If you respected property rights, you'd stay out (or disarm).

EMNofSeattle said:
Actually I think Disney World is subject to Florida preemption. this is because Walt Disney World is given the legal status of a quasi municipal district in Florida (Reedy Creek Improvement district)
Holy cow... Actually, there are 2 cities too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World
After extensive lobbying, the Government of Florida created the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a special government district that essentially gave the Walt Disney Company the standard powers and autonomy of an incorporated city.

for Disney World, including EPCOT, to succeed, a special district would have to be formed: the Reedy Creek Improvement District with two [incorporated] cities inside it, Bay Lake and Reedy Creek (now Lake Buena Vista). In addition to the standard powers of an incorporated city, which include the issuance of tax-free bonds, the district would have immunity from any current or future county or state land-use laws...
The legislation forming the district and the two cities was signed into law ... May 12, 1967. The FL Supreme Court then ruled in 1968 that the district was allowed to issue tax-exempt bonds for public projects within the district despite the sole beneficiary being Walt Disney Productions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Florida#Preemption
Florida law prohibits localities from regulating firearms, other than with regards to zoning laws (i.e., for restricting where gun sellers may locate their businesses)...
On December 7, 2010... introduced a bill to the Florida Legislature adding penalties for violating the existing preemption statute. It was signed into law ... June 2, 2011. Penalties may include fines, removal from public office, termination of employment and other punishments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_Creek_Improvement_District
A five-member Board of Supervisors governs the District...
Arrests and citations are issued by the Florida Highway Patrol along with the Orange County and Osceola County sheriffs deputies who patrol the roads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Buena_Vista,_Florida
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Lake,_Florida

MKEgal

So he's not a criminal, but he's still an idiot.
Didn't maintain control of his pistol, left it where kids could get to it, and it took "several minutes" before he noticed it missing.

SpringerXDacp

So he's not a criminal, but he's still an idiot.
Didn't maintain control of his pistol, left it where kids could get to it, and it took "several minutes" before he noticed it missing.

I never really understood why/how this sort of thing happens frequently across the US. Wally World, school bathrooms, seem to be the norm by both LEO's and "civilians." Recently, a retired deputy working security at Lapeer Elementary School "accidentally" and "monetarily" left his "unloaded" pistol in one of the schools bathrooms. As usual, it was swept under the rug - no harm, no problem. Odd, I can tell if my cell phone and/or keys are not in one of my pants pockets, but yet, folks are having difficulty realizing a compaq or sub-compaq handgun is missing?

ETA: Spelling

Last edited:

eye95

Sorry, but that is the definition of not respecting the property rights of others.

I don't respect that lack of respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

And, again, that is not respecting the property rights of others.

I don't respect the choice not to respect the rights of others.

<o>

EMNofSeattle

Sorry, but that is the definition of not respecting the property rights of others.

I don't respect that lack of respect.

<o>

it's not private property, it's property of a municipal corporation that includes two incorporated cities. with the capital to build that park and all the roads, bridges etc being financed by municipal bonds issued tax free as a result of the municipal status. because they chose to pretend to be a government agency to build it, I'm only recognizing them as a government agency. hey I didn't choose to buy land in secret with shell companies, incorporate, then issue municipal bonds to build a theme park, they did. so it's public property subject to preemption. maybe Goofy has deep enough pockets to get a court to rule how they want, but under a strict analysis of the law, preemption should apply here.

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

And, again, that is not respecting the property rights of others.

I don't respect the choice not to respect the rights of others.

<o>

If there is anything in the world I'm not worried about, it's whether or not I have your respect, or the respect of anyone frankly. All that is required for me to live my life without interference is to follow the law. I also don't acknowledge property rights when the property is not strictly private. If someone decides to open a business and invite the general public then they should be the ones respecting the rights of the patrons, not the other way around. Either way, in Alabama, they have the right to make up whatever policies they wish, and I have the right to ignore it until such a time where the owner or manager asks me to leave the property. As long as I follow their verbal requests I am within the law and couldn't care less about anything else.