• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So who was carrying at the Port of Tacoma today?

spikedzombies

So which one of you were taking pictures and video while open carrying a firearm at the Port of Tacoma?

You just had to go piss off the Longshoreman lmfao.

I know there's video so who was it and where can I watch?

"Sent Via Time Traveling Blue Police Box"

Alpine

In the video he said the other LEOs had pulled a gun on him, that's probably worthy of some cash and a settlement including an apology and officer retraining if he can substantiate it.

rapgood

"I'm recording this for my own safety." I LOVE it! This should become the mantra of all who come into contact with LEOs.

And akin to that thought, all that hooey you see and hear on TV and out in the street when LEOs are handcuffing folks and they say, "You're not under arrest. We're simply detaining you for our own safety." is rubbish. Once you're not free to leave, you're under arrest. Period. End of discussion. It is a very bright line. And it is the perspective of a reasonable person. Do you think the OCer felt free to leave when the LEO drew down on him? I suspect that he did not.

Anyone know who the OCer in the video is?

(First half of video here.)

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Who were the officers who first contacted him? They sure as hell aren't Tacoma PD

The "Supervisor" appears to be a TPD officers, but the badges on the other officers look federal design....

EDIT

I posted mine just after Rap posted the first half of the video

which begs the question, was the camera guy suspected of unlawfully entering the country? if not why is Customs responding? that will be interesting.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Last summer I wanted to take some pictures of the Kalakala (for those of you not in Washington, the Kalakala was a streamlined ferry boat built in the 30s, it's now simply rusting away in the port of tacoma)

so I take my truck out to the port, and park on the side Taylor Way (a public road accessible without security measures of any kind) and start taking pictures, the security guards came by and accosted me (they were I think G4S Wackenhut or one of those armed contract outfits) they had a police style SUV, cuffs, guns everything. they wanted to know what I was doing and I told them taking pictures of the Kalakala, they made some comment about how I need a film permit and then got in their car and left.

EMNofSeattle

Customs and Border Patrol doesn't have badge numbers I don't think.

But why? I don't get it, the CBP isn't on the 911 system, they functionally have no jurisdiction to Terry someone, has no authority over that of a private citizen to detain someone or use force, and there is nothing that constitutes probable cause of breaking federal law, why did the guards summon Customs? why didn't they just call the sheriff? probably because the guards who made the call knew that local police would be unlikely to get involved in this....

I guess in some states the customs agents are cross commissioned or deputized by the sheriff, but I've never heard of that in WA.... usually it's the border states on the SW border where that happens.

Lovenox

"I'm recording this for my own safety." I LOVE it! This should become the mantra of all who come into contact with LEOs.

And akin to that thought, all that hooey you see and hear on TV and out in the street when LEOs are handcuffing folks and they say, "You're not under arrest. We're simply detaining you for our own safety." is rubbish. Once you're not free to leave, you're under arrest. Period. End of discussion.

Not nesscasarily "arrested" but you can be "detained". Why they did it is another matter all together...right?

EMNofSeattle

you should see his first video

[video=youtube;gjb7hFxvukA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjb7hFxvukA[/video]

the woman comes out and tries to contact him, he blows her off, she goes to other guard

then at 00:44 the other guard shrugs his hands and says "he's not breaking any law" :lol:

love it.....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Customs and Border Patrol doesn't have badge numbers I don't think.

But why? I don't get it, the CBP isn't on the 911 system, they functionally have no jurisdiction to Terry someone, has no authority over that of a private citizen to detain someone or use force, and there is nothing that constitutes probable cause of breaking federal law, why did the guards summon Customs? why didn't they just call the sheriff? probably because the guards who made the call knew that local police would be unlikely to get involved in this....

I guess in some states the customs agents are cross commissioned or deputized by the sheriff, but I've never heard of that in WA.... usually it's the border states on the SW border where that happens.

Multi-jurisdictional agreements

Stretch

"Officer" Daniel....hmm. Not too sure about him. I wonder what Daniel would've done had the videographer decided to leave?

compmanio365

Watched all the vids, and I gotta say the person recording has quite the cool head to deal with that situation. I love how the supervisor tried to brush it all off with "People get nervous".

Yeah, I get nervous too, but if I drew my gun on someone just because I was "nervous" I imagine I'd either be dead or in jail right now. These are your federal police at work. They feel, and unfortunately due to laws passed in the last decade they are probably right, that they are above the law.

While there aren't that many people walking around down by the port just because it's not really an area the public goes to much, that in no way excuses the actions taken in the video by the police. Federal or otherwise.

rapgood

CBP has jurisdiction to within 100 miles of any U.S. border. Take a pen and ruler and draw a line from Tacoma to Victoria British Columbia, for example, and it maps out to 91.777 miles as the crow flies. I suspect that is one example of how they interpret their right to assert jurisdiction. Second, Port of Tacoma is a port of entry into the U.S. and ships entering from foreign ports are subject to CBP scrutiny when Port of Tacoma is their first port of call.

I'm not saying I agree with CBP's interpretation of their authority and jurisdiction, but that is my understanding of their assertion.

Oh, and guess who gets nervous not only when guys like the CBP LEOs open carry their handguns, but then draw them without provocation.

Last edited:

spikedzombies

You were probably contact by Port of Tacoma Security which has jurisdiction along with Tacoma PD

There were also Customs and Border Patrol agents that were there in the video.

The women was not a guard she was a longshore superintendent, the company I work for does the security at that site and we are not in the video.

It was all longshore that made the calls and such.

And customs and border patrol has an office at the port because its an international port and they are required to clear and and all international crewman before they are allowed to leave the ship and such. As for jurisdiction I believe they do have some authority there.

"Sent Via Time Traveling Blue Police Box"

Last edited:

arentol

I heard that for the purposes of the 100 mile rule the coast also counts. Not sure if that is true, but if so, then Tacoma is actually entirely within the first couple miles of the border, not in the last 10.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2