Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Blue Ridge Parkway NC/Va

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326

    Blue Ridge Parkway NC/Va

    Are there any issues I should be aware of for OC'ing on the Blue Ridge Parkway in N.C. and Va.? I will be on a motorcycle.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Two issues come to mind. The first is that you cannot carry inside a NPS building that houses employee offices. The good news is that these have huge and obnoxious signs. The second is that you can't OC on a State Park in NC. Which would rule out Mt Mitchell, some trails around Grandfather Mtn, and Mt Jefferson around Jefferson, NC. If you are just riding the parkway it's not a big deal. There may be some I'm missing but those are the ones that come to mind. I OC around the Boone/Linville area when I am up there hiking and have not had any issues. I've run into several rangers on trails and in the front country.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Thanks, I wasn't sure since it is not a "National Park" But the land on either side is owned by the National Park System And there is United States Forestry Service Land close by.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  4. #4
    Regular Member Chap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greenville, MS
    Posts
    213

    Blue Ridge Parkway NC/Va

    I just rode my bike across the Blue Ridge Pky. I didn't take my pistol since I was riding the Rolling Thunder run in DC. Plus I was heading to MD afterwards. ( no reciprocity with MS )

    I did see one sign on the roadway which said something like. "No guns" I didn't see anymore just the one. It was a typical sign similar to a speed limit sign. ( black and white ) when heading north it will be in the right hand side. ( I don't know what state ) I should have turned around and snapped a picture of it. I'm sure it's just one they forgot to remove when the law changed.

    http://www.nps.gov/blri/parknews/new...egulations.htm

    Here is a great site I check before traveling.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

    New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

  5. #5
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    More importantly, especially since you're riding a MC, keep in mind that on the Parkway, tourists are not looking at the road or where they're going a lot of the time. They're looking at the scenery.

    Ride cautiously, and good luck.

  6. #6
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    I just rode my bike across the Blue Ridge Pky. I didn't take my pistol since I was riding the Rolling Thunder run in DC. Plus I was heading to MD afterwards. ( no reciprocity with MS )

    I did see one sign on the roadway which said something like. "No guns" I didn't see anymore just the one. It was a typical sign similar to a speed limit sign. ( black and white ) when heading north it will be in the right hand side. ( I don't know what state ) I should have turned around and snapped a picture of it. I'm sure it's just one they forgot to remove when the law changed.

    http://www.nps.gov/blri/parknews/new...egulations.htm

    Here is a great site I check before traveling.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    i would like to know where that sign is to see if it needs to be removed. i am a member of both the VCDL and the GRNC. thanks
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Chap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greenville, MS
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    i would like to know where that sign is to see if it needs to be removed. i am a member of both the VCDL and the GRNC. thanks

    Yep sorry my bad for not getting a pic and location of the sign.

    If NC-Heel doesn't find it during his ride. I might be returning in a week or so. If I do I'll be sure to document with a picture, lat & Long or general location by Pky mile mark. I'll be sure to post it for you papa bear.

    Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

    New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    You are good to OC on National Park Service, Forest Service, and Gamelands in NC. It's just the State parks. You can CC on state parks though. So if you have a CC permit, NC recognizes all of them now. Forgot to mention that earlier. Any trails leading off the parkway to state park land will have a large trailhead sign too.

    And the Parkway is owned and operated by the NPS. It's a full blown national park unit, they don't technically consider it a park though. Just odd legal stuff. It's the most visited park unit in the country. Traffic enforcement is by NPS.

    Oh, and have a great time. It's beautiful.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Had a good ride. Didn't see as much of the Parkway as I had planned. Saw about 70 miles of it. I saw no gunbuster signs on my trip from Mile Marker 443 (approx) which is the US 74 interchange to Mile Marker 373 (approx) which was the Elk Ridge Scenic Roadway or something like that. Ended up meeting some guys from N.H. when I got lost and rode with them so it took me 4.5 hours to get on the Parkway instead of the 1.5 hours I had planned. Had several OC interactions that I will document on the OC report thread later.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  10. #10
    Regular Member Chap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greenville, MS
    Posts
    213

    Blue Ridge Parkway NC/Va

    Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Yep sorry my bad for not getting a pic and location of the sign.

    If NC-Heel doesn't find it during his ride. I might be returning in a week or so. If I do I'll be sure to document with a picture, lat & Long or general location by Pky mile mark. I'll be sure to post it for you papa bear.

    Chap

    Ok I just rode the entire Pkwy north and failed to find the sign. Only two reasons.
    1) I didn't remember correctly where I was when I saw the sign.
    2) I was day dreaming and missed it while northbound.

    I'm turning around and heading southbound now. ( 2nd chance to find it ) if I don't find it then I will concede that I was wrong.

    In the big picture it's good that I didn't find it, but damn I hate being wrong. More to follow in a few days.


    Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

    New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

  11. #11
    Regular Member Chap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greenville, MS
    Posts
    213

    Blue Ridge Parkway NC/Va

    Sorry guys weather too bad for me to finish my ride south on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

    Guess the sign I saw will stay a mystery to me.

    "More likely than not" it must have been on a different road than the Pkwy.


    Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

    New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Mooresville NC
    Posts
    27
    I hate to dig up an old thread, but I'm thinking about me and the wife riding the parkway this weekend towards Asheville and maybe staying the night there and riding back to Mooresville Sunday. From what I've read above, it's safe to OC while motorcycle riding the parkway? I like to be better safe and ask, then sorry and in trouble later. Thanks all.

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by nikogto View Post
    I hate to dig up an old thread, but I'm thinking about me and the wife riding the parkway this weekend towards Asheville and maybe staying the night there and riding back to Mooresville Sunday. From what I've read above, it's safe to OC while motorcycle riding the parkway? I like to be better safe and ask, then sorry and in trouble later. Thanks all.
    Guns are generally legal on the parkway/NPS land. NPS follows state law. Restricted are facilities where a federal employee regularly works - such must be properly signed.
    https://www.gunowners.org/a051309.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •