Thread: Old orchard beach

Old orchard beach

Headed to walk around oob with the family today. It will be my first time oc'ing there not sure what to expect. Most likely high traffic it's a nice day

Old orchard beach

Had two different conversations with police officers during our walk today. They didn't bother me at all I initiated both interactions and they went without incident. Good job old orchard beach police!!

OOB police have been great since my last encounter with them. I have gone on several occasions and they smile and wave at me, but never stop me.

Old orchard beach

They didn't stop me I stopped to ask them about rules about dogs on the beach area. I noticed one of the officers eyeballed my gun a bit but that is to be expected. Nothing about the gun was mentioned It was a good day I think I will visit there more often

How is the old port? I work down there an get out really late, and would like to open carry but am concerned about how the police would feel.

I Open carry around the Old Port often. I don't do it at night though. Legally you can and the police in Portland have been getting better. Carry a recording device.

Re: Old orchard beach

Does Portland still have that no carry after dark ordinance? I know its unenforceable due to the state preemption, but I was wondering if they still had it on the books?

Quote Originally Posted by CCinMaine View Post
    Does Portland still have that no carry after dark ordinance? I know its unenforceable due to the state preemption, but I was wondering if they still had it on the books?
    Yes, it is still on the books, but unenforceable.

I carry daily in OOB as I live here. I go to store, restaurants, and sit on the benches downtown. The only problem I had was being denied access to the pier by a security guard. He didn't let me talk to his boss to confirm their policy. I am going to look for a contact person to try and understand what the official policy is. That is unless someone here already knows?

Quote Originally Posted by tazxrulz View Post
    I carry daily in OOB as I live here. I go to store, restaurants, and sit on the benches downtown. The only problem I had was being denied access to the pier by a security guard. He didn't let me talk to his boss to confirm their policy. I am going to look for a contact person to try and understand what the official policy is. That is unless someone here already knows?
    I'm sure some guy that wanted to do harm would follow that policy. In the case a armed madman decided to go shoot up the pier how do you plan to protect the life of my family and I? Do you think you make the pier safer by stripping me of the right to protect myself and my family? You do know that sandy hook was a gun free zone. As was the Aurora movie theater. Your thoughts on the issue would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

P.S. What about just walking down the Pier and not entering any restaurants or lounges?

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM, paulsoobpier@gmail.com <paulsoobpier@gmail.com> wrote:
    we do not allow guns in our Restaurants or lounges on the pier that is our policy other than on duty law enforcement police officers.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Phone

-----Original message-----
    To: paulsoobpier@gmail.com
    Sent: Mon, Jul 15, 2013 21:12:14 EDT
    Subject: Hello

Hello sir,
    I am writing to get clarification of your policy regarding a citizen legally carrying a properly holstered firearm on the pier. My family and I were denied access to the pier when we tried to go get ourselves some of those $1. We were denied simply because I had my gun on my hip. I openly carry everywhere I go since I've get to obtain my ccw. I would hate to no longer be able to get food on the pier with my family.
    Thanks for your attention in this matter,