Thread: IL law going through....

IL law going through....

Yes, I know I'm posting this in WI....but I think this is relevant to many of us.

Both houses of the IL legislature have passed a CCW bill with a veto-proof majority (although as we know here, that doesn't REALLY mean veto proof...)

Some of the more salient details - no reciprocity, but non-residents can get permits.
    16 hour training requirement
    Doesn't sound like they want to see open carry - several sections reference "concealed or mostly concealed"
    WITHOUT a permit, non-residents can drive in the state with a concealed firearm in the vehicle, so long as it stays locked in the vehicle when the persons leave vehicle
    $300 for 5 years for us non-residents. $150 for them.
    Preemption (ie Chicago can't override this) on NEW laws (this will make things gray for a while...)

Article: http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-la...partisan-vote/

Bill: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/98/H...0183sam005.htm
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

I wonder if the court well sign off on it. The judge just might say it is still to restrictive.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Teej
    Doesn't sound like they want to see open carry - several sections reference "concealed or mostly concealed"
    That only means that the law would control guns which are concealed or mostly concealed.
    Doesn't affect open carry at all.
    If there's no law making it illegal, it's legal.

WITHOUT a permit, non-residents can drive in the state with a concealed firearm in the vehicle, so long as it stays locked in the vehicle when the persons leave vehicle
    I thought it said that the nonresident must have a license from her/his own state.

And the preemption would be for old laws which conflict with this law.

I was under the impression open carry is currently illegal in IL...and I don't believe this bill overrides that.

per OCDO: http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=224

Illinois is not a traditional open carry state. Open carry is clearly prohibited except in unincorporated areas where the county has not made open carry illegal. Additionally, note that open carry is prohibited inside a vehicle even when in unincorporated areas. Further, a recent review of Illinois statutes indicates that even open carry on foot in unincorporated areas may also be unlawful, and so in an abundance of caution, we classify Illinois as a state banning open carry entirely.

Regarding the car carry, as I posted in the IL forum it merely requires that the person be "eligible to carry a firearm in public" under their own state law. Aside from prohibited persons, residents of many states are "eligible to carry a firearm in public" without a license/permit....including WI...just not concealed.

In the spirit of forum rules requiring cites:

5 (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    6 transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    7 Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    8 vehicle and the non-resident:
    9 (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    10 firearm under federal law;
    11 (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    12 laws of his or her state or territory of residence
    ; and
    13 (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    Last edited by Teej; 06-01-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    That only means that the law would control guns which are concealed or mostly concealed.
    Doesn't affect open carry at all.
    If there's no law making it illegal, it's legal.

I thought it said that the nonresident must have a license from her/his own state.

And the preemption would be for old laws which conflict with this law.
    Grasshopper, it is time to talk of Illinois politics...

Here is the bill status of HB183, which was passed by both houses May 31, 2013. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...Session=&GA=98

Senate Floor Amendment 5, (a total replacement amendment) to HB183, (originally a bill to regulate ATM bank terminals), was first FILED on Friday, by the time the day was over, IT WAS THE NEW Illinois Firearms Concealed Carry Act. It is a 168 page bill, with 95% of the bill the same as what had been discussed earlier in SB2193, but some of the changes of only a few words, especially in the handling of state Preemption of subordinate laws and ordinances, made huge differences in the effect of this law.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP