• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IL law going through....

Teej

Yes, I know I'm posting this in WI....but I think this is relevant to many of us.

Both houses of the IL legislature have passed a CCW bill with a veto-proof majority (although as we know here, that doesn't REALLY mean veto proof...)

Some of the more salient details - no reciprocity, but non-residents can get permits.
16 hour training requirement
Doesn't sound like they want to see open carry - several sections reference "concealed or mostly concealed"
WITHOUT a permit, non-residents can drive in the state with a concealed firearm in the vehicle, so long as it stays locked in the vehicle when the persons leave vehicle
$300 for 5 years for us non-residents. :( $150 for them.
Preemption (ie Chicago can't override this) on NEW laws (this will make things gray for a while...)

Article: http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-l...-carry-bill-with-veto-proof-bi-partisan-vote/

Bill: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/98/HB/09800HB0183sam005.htm

MKEgal

Teej said:
Doesn't sound like they want to see open carry - several sections reference "concealed or mostly concealed"
That only means that the law would control guns which are concealed or mostly concealed.
Doesn't affect open carry at all.
If there's no law making it illegal, it's legal.

WITHOUT a permit, non-residents can drive in the state with a concealed firearm in the vehicle, so long as it stays locked in the vehicle when the persons leave vehicle
I thought it said that the nonresident must have a license from her/his own state.

And the preemption would be for old laws which conflict with this law.

Teej

I was under the impression open carry is currently illegal in IL...and I don't believe this bill overrides that.

per OCDO: http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=224

Illinois is not a traditional open carry state. Open carry is clearly prohibited except in unincorporated areas where the county has not made open carry illegal. Additionally, note that open carry is prohibited inside a vehicle even when in unincorporated areas. Further, a recent review of Illinois statutes indicates that even open carry on foot in unincorporated areas may also be unlawful, and so in an abundance of caution, we classify Illinois as a state banning open carry entirely.

Regarding the car carry, as I posted in the IL forum it merely requires that the person be "eligible to carry a firearm in public" under their own state law. Aside from prohibited persons, residents of many states are "eligible to carry a firearm in public" without a license/permit....including WI...just not concealed.

In the spirit of forum rules requiring cites:

5 (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
6 transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
7 Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
8 vehicle and the non-resident:
9 (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
10 firearm under federal law;
11 (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
12 laws of his or her state or territory of residence
; and
13 (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

Last edited:

E6chevron

That only means that the law would control guns which are concealed or mostly concealed.
Doesn't affect open carry at all.
If there's no law making it illegal, it's legal.

I thought it said that the nonresident must have a license from her/his own state.

And the preemption would be for old laws which conflict with this law.

Grasshopper, it is time to talk of Illinois politics...

Here is the bill status of HB183, which was passed by both houses May 31, 2013. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...=69231&SessionID=85&SpecSess=0&Session=&GA=98

Senate Floor Amendment 5, (a total replacement amendment) to HB183, (originally a bill to regulate ATM bank terminals), was first FILED on Friday, by the time the day was over, IT WAS THE NEW Illinois Firearms Concealed Carry Act. It is a 168 page bill, with 95% of the bill the same as what had been discussed earlier in SB2193, but some of the changes of only a few words, especially in the handling of state Preemption of subordinate laws and ordinances, made huge differences in the effect of this law.