• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho Enhanced Permit

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've not heard, but our state is screwed up in its process. The power to decide has been illegally delegated to a private non-profit association. They make decisions rashly.

If you tell us (or link) the specifics of this enhanced permit, we can give you a guess as to whether it is something they would even consider.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Is there an 8-hour class for initial and a 4-hour class at renewal?

Is there a weapons qualification as part of the class?

The 5-year expiration is one of the things NV requires, so you have that. That was one of the things I saw as I tried to skim through that entire law, but I'm honestly not going to read it all thoroughly.

desertborn

There is a live fire exercise but I didn't see anything abi ut a database which I believe is also a requirement right?

kdt1970

Yes the live fire is required with the enhanced permit. I cant find it but there is a web page from an Idaho sheriff dept. that talks about it.

rpyne

The requirements for the Idaho Enhanced Permit are almost identical to the Michigan permit requirements. Michigan's permit is honored by 38 states, including Nevada.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That all sounds good, now if you can get our illegal non-government association to give a big enough damn to differentiate between your two permits...

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
From Nevada Sheriffs & Police Chief's Association Exec Director:

Thanks,
Nevada DPS is aware of it. They should have a decision by July. They are monitoring a couple of other States.

-Robert

robert1970

I was just wondering, if you already have a Idaho permit will the new enhanced permit be grandfathered in? I thought Nevada already recognized Idaho's permit?

Gray Peterson

They are still reviewing the situation according to another email from them, the DPS' records and technical section are working on it now. My guess is that the tech section deals with interfaces for records (the 24/7 availability records requirement in the statute).

Gray Peterson

From NVSCA:

Nevada Department of Public Safety has forwarded Idaho's enhanced permit information to the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association. Recognition of the permit will be discussed at the July meeting.

kdt1970

I got this from the Idaho section of the forum, from user: "CarryTheTruth".

This bill adds a new area, not*section, but area, as Idaho Code §18-3302K

The Enhanced Concealed Weapons License (ECWL) requires additional training as follows:
- a total of 8 hours
- 4 hours is in-person, face-to-face "lecture/instruction";
- 1.5 to 2 hours of this needs to be conducted by an Idaho State Bar lawyer or Police Officer achieving intermediate POST training
- 4 hours of "live-fire" training with a minimum of 98 rounds (how they came up with that number …?!)

The purpose of the ECWL is to increase firearm training requirements to then enable the expansion of acceptance of Idaho's new ECWL to establish new Conceal Carry Reciprocity Agreements Idaho has with 25 states to upward of 40 or more states, including Washington and Nevada. Sadly, Oregon is, well, being liberally stingy.