Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Any bow hunters out there?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    15

    Any bow hunters out there?

    Delete
    Last edited by MarksmanCentral; 11-18-2013 at 12:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Gil223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Weber County Utah
    Posts
    1,428
    That's nice... have you tried a bow hunters forum? This is an Open Carry handgun forum.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    44

    Re: Any bow hunters out there?

    Archerytalk is a great forum and there are others as well. I'm a member at archerytalk so I'm biased.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    General Discussion

    (31 Viewing)Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else. Topics should still be related to the focus of the forum and all other rules of behavior still apply here. (emphasis added by Citizen)
    This thread should be in the Social Lounge subforum.
    Last edited by Citizen; 06-02-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  5. #5
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by MarksmanCentral View Post
    Forgive me for trying to have a conversation with a group of folks who likely have an interest in such things. I posted this in the wrong sub, and that was my bad, but the sarcasm is not needed. I meant no ill will.
    You started this thread on the wrong site. A more suitable site has been provided. To answer your question specifically, stick with the compound bow. Long bows are big, too much so in my opinion, and tough to use in moderate to heavily wooded areas or in thick brush.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by MarksmanCentral View Post
    Forgive me for trying to have a conversation with a group of folks who likely have an interest in such things. I posted this in the wrong sub, and that was my bad, but the sarcasm is not needed. I meant no ill will.
    With all do respect, sir, no one was rude, impolite nor expressed obvious sacrasm.

    The thread was moved to the Social Forum from General Discussion, not deleted or edited.

    Go ye forth and enjoy
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,096
    Archery hunter from Idaho here. I've never used a long bow myself. Have hunted with people that used them. They are as accurate and have the same range as I do with my compound. The length is an issue when hunting in brushy areas. Get one, become proficient with it. Take both hunting. You will have a backup and the ability to switch back and forth.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Long bows were not designed for hunting. Recurves and compounds were ... guy wants to take his sight off his compound bow? He won't hit anything without one...you could have more luck with a recurve w/o a sight but its range is generally more limited than a compound and its kill potential is lower.

    Go ahead, go hunting with a compound w/o a sight ... you'll eventually just choose points on the bow to use as a pseudo-sight anyway. A compound bow can't be shot from "the hip". At least not a 70 lb bow.

    Have fun fellow archer !

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Long bows were not designed for hunting. Recurves and compounds were ... guy wants to take his sight off his compound bow? He won't hit anything without one...you could have more luck with a recurve w/o a sight but its range is generally more limited than a compound and its kill potential is lower.

    Go ahead, go hunting with a compound w/o a sight ... you'll eventually just choose points on the bow to use as a pseudo-sight anyway. A compound bow can't be shot from "the hip". At least not a 70 lb bow.

    Have fun fellow archer !
    Hmmm... I hunted for several years with my compound without sights. Seemed to hit things ok. It's a matter of practice with your equipment however it is. Points on the bow for pseudo sights is exactly what you do. A long bow will be fine. Doesn't matter. Just practice and become proficient with whatever you choose.

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    I learned to shoot a bow without sights when very young, instinct shooting with a bow is as accurate as the amount of practice one puts in. I have not noticed any major league ball players with sights for pitching, or basket ball players. Maybe they should look into that...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I learned to shoot a bow without sights when very young, instinct shooting with a bow is as accurate as the amount of practice one puts in. I have not noticed any major league ball players with sights for pitching, or basket ball players. Maybe they should look into that...
    Slingshots w/optics - http://www.catsdomain.com/

    Optional add-on for shooting arrows:


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I learned to shoot a bow without sights when very young, instinct shooting with a bow is as accurate as the amount of practice one puts in. I have not noticed any major league ball players with sights for pitching, or basket ball players. Maybe they should look into that...
    MLB pitchers? Man, guys on my team NEED sights ... they s----uuuuck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •