• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any bow hunters out there?

VanillaBK

Archerytalk is a great forum and there are others as well. I'm a member at archerytalk so I'm biased.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
General Discussion

(31 Viewing)Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else. Topics should still be related to the focus of the forum and all other rules of behavior still apply here. (emphasis added by Citizen)

This thread should be in the Social Lounge subforum.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Forgive me for trying to have a conversation with a group of folks who likely have an interest in such things. I posted this in the wrong sub, and that was my bad, but the sarcasm is not needed. I meant no ill will.
You started this thread on the wrong site. A more suitable site has been provided. To answer your question specifically, stick with the compound bow. Long bows are big, too much so in my opinion, and tough to use in moderate to heavily wooded areas or in thick brush.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Forgive me for trying to have a conversation with a group of folks who likely have an interest in such things. I posted this in the wrong sub, and that was my bad, but the sarcasm is not needed. I meant no ill will.
With all do respect, sir, no one was rude, impolite nor expressed obvious sacrasm.

The thread was moved to the Social Forum from General Discussion, not deleted or edited.

Go ye forth and enjoy :)

carracer

Archery hunter from Idaho here. I've never used a long bow myself. Have hunted with people that used them. They are as accurate and have the same range as I do with my compound. The length is an issue when hunting in brushy areas. Get one, become proficient with it. Take both hunting. You will have a backup and the ability to switch back and forth.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Long bows were not designed for hunting. Recurves and compounds were ... guy wants to take his sight off his compound bow? He won't hit anything without one...you could have more luck with a recurve w/o a sight but its range is generally more limited than a compound and its kill potential is lower.

Go ahead, go hunting with a compound w/o a sight ... you'll eventually just choose points on the bow to use as a pseudo-sight anyway. A compound bow can't be shot from "the hip". At least not a 70 lb bow.

Have fun fellow archer !

carracer

Long bows were not designed for hunting. Recurves and compounds were ... guy wants to take his sight off his compound bow? He won't hit anything without one...you could have more luck with a recurve w/o a sight but its range is generally more limited than a compound and its kill potential is lower.

Go ahead, go hunting with a compound w/o a sight ... you'll eventually just choose points on the bow to use as a pseudo-sight anyway. A compound bow can't be shot from "the hip". At least not a 70 lb bow.

Have fun fellow archer !

Hmmm... I hunted for several years with my compound without sights. Seemed to hit things ok. It's a matter of practice with your equipment however it is. Points on the bow for pseudo sights is exactly what you do. A long bow will be fine. Doesn't matter. Just practice and become proficient with whatever you choose.

WalkingWolf

I learned to shoot a bow without sights when very young, instinct shooting with a bow is as accurate as the amount of practice one puts in. I have not noticed any major league ball players with sights for pitching, or basket ball players. Maybe they should look into that...:rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I learned to shoot a bow without sights when very young, instinct shooting with a bow is as accurate as the amount of practice one puts in. I have not noticed any major league ball players with sights for pitching, or basket ball players. Maybe they should look into that...:rolleyes:

Slingshots w/optics - http://www.catsdomain.com/[h=2] [/h]Optional add-on for shooting arrows:
[h=2] [/h]

davidmcbeth

Banned

MLB pitchers? Man, guys on my team NEED sights ... they s----uuuuck