• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Too many choices!!!

Firearms Iinstuctor

I gave up on guns with changing functions like multiple barrels, frames ect. It seems I would find the best combination and the rest would just lay around.

Now if I want a different configuration I just buy the gun the that fits the need.

Multiple functions are a better idea if one lives in a area that restricts the ownership of how many guns one can have.

Extra accessories when one goes to sell them normally bring a far lower price then one paid for them.

Buy more guns then you have available the one you want when you need it.

Forty-five

I am looking to trade off my G19 for something smaller. As you know the logical move would be to the G26. But, I handled a M&P 9c the other day and it is SO much more comfortable in hand. Now I am looking at the Sig p250. It looks like the p250 can be made into a full size gun just by buying another frame and mag. That is a cool idea. Summertime when the LCP is being carried the 250 could be in full size home defense mode and then when winter rolls around it goes back to CC. I love Sig guns too. My brain hurts now.... Can someone kick me in the head please? I seem to have my gears stuck.

I think that the G19 is small enough for CC, but big enough for HD. With the 250, if you take advantage of the changeability of size/caliber, then it requires you to become proficient in more than one platform (not saying that is necessarily bad, just saying).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am looking to trade off my G19 for something smaller. As you know the logical move would be to the G26. But, I handled a M&P 9c the other day and it is SO much more comfortable in hand. Now I am looking at the Sig p250. It looks like the p250 can be made into a full size gun just by buying another frame and mag. That is a cool idea. Summertime when the LCP is being carried the 250 could be in full size home defense mode and then when winter rolls around it goes back to CC. I love Sig guns too. My brain hurts now.... Can someone kick me in the head please? I seem to have my gears stuck.

1 - You do know this board is for the promotion of lawfull OPEN CARRY of a handgun, right? Why the discussion of concealed carry here?

2 -
Summertime when the LCP is being carried the 250 could be in full size home defense mode and then when winter rolls around it goes back to CC.
I absolutely love - as in going into fits of hysterical laughter - when someone talks about deciding to carry a smaller caliber with fewer rounds gun while having a full-size gun at home. It makes me wonder why they even bother to have more than one gun for defensive purposes. If your LCP is sufficient for self defense when away from home, why is it not just as sufficient when at home?

I would be more than happy to kick you in the head, although a dope slap would probably be more appropriate.

stay safe.

DWCook

Activist Member
I see no problem in owning multiple defensive purpose pistols. Some days you want to carry one, some days you want to carry a different one!

Eeyore

I am looking to trade off my G19 for something smaller. As you know the logical move would be to the G26. But, I handled a M&P 9c the other day and it is SO much more comfortable in hand. Now I am looking at the Sig p250. It looks like the p250 can be made into a full size gun just by buying another frame and mag.

Congrats on realizing that Glocks are not designed for the human hand.

The P250 requires a different frame, slide, barrel, and mag to change the size--in other words everything but the trigger group. Given the cost of the P250 2-pack, you could buy 2 separate but identical guns (such as an XD 3" and 4", M&P & M&Pc, G19/G26) for about the same money and not need to constantly disassemble/reassemble a P250. It seems to be a fine weapon, it just isn't the be-all and end-all for changing size needs.

The M&P is a fine weapon. You can buy a full-sized magazine and grip extension (such as an http://x-grips.com/products/smithwesson-mp/) to make the grip full-sized for range & home use. This is a much cheaper way to go.

ADobbs1989

Same here. Full size M&P .45. Crossbreed Supertuck with a belt from The Belt Man, for when it's needed to cover up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

G21 in a Serpa. I OC 99.9% of the time. If for some reason I need to CC, I either put on an unbuttoned button up in the summer or a long coat in the winter. Rarely does that need arise though, the only place I frequent that doesn't allow carry is the post office, and my local post office is not in compliance with the federal law regarding prohibiting weapons on the property, so I carry there as well and no one has ever said anything.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
1 - I do indeed know. I simply choose to discuss a related topic that the vast majority of us have experience with. CC vs OC is as simple as wearing my shirt in or out. I and others do both.

2 - While this has been discussed at length before I shall point out that the carrying of a firearm inside ones own home is a different beast than when out in daily life. A bolt action center fire rifle is not a very good squirrel gun. Likewise, a full size handgun is too large for me to comfortably and continually carry, even openly. I simply prefer to carry something smaller and lighter. Some people prefer to drive a full size truck every day, others prefer a compact car, it is a mater of preference. As a matter of fact, I do use my LCP as a home defense option when I am visiting family and such. Why do you bother to have more than one gun? By your logic one would simply strap on a .45 and be good wherever he went.

Some wonderful strawman argumentation there. Also some wonderful attempting to divert.

What you neglected to do was to explain why you are looking at a handgun with the barrel a full inch longer than your LCP if your concern is about not being able to carry something larger and heavier.

Why do I have all sorts of different handguns? Because I want to. Some are dedicated range guns for any of a variety of reasons which mostly boil down to preferring one caliber/platform for EDC. Others, in the preferred EDC platform, are for show&tell or fancy occassions - they are commonly referred to as BBQ guns.

I'm not looking to start a caliber war (mostly because the one I chose is really the best and everybody who chooses anything else is dumb and a poopyhead), I'm just curious why you feel comfortable with the LCP when you are out and about in the summer, but see the necessity of something bigger in the winter. I admit there is quite a bit of "if it's good enough to use in the winter (go through extra clothes layers, etc.) then it ought to be even better in the summer" in my choice of what I carry.

stay safe.

mobiushky

Can I ask a question? Are you just super mega hyper sensitive to printing? Not trying to be a jerk, but some people are just overly sensitive to printing. Like, do you CC to places were firearms are huge no-no (lose your job go to jail type no-no) and want to have the absolute smallest print that could possibly be created? I'm asking because I CC a G19 nearly every day. In a place where firearms are a no-no. And NO chance I could OC. And I have yet to even have a whisper of anyone noticing.

I guess it's all opinion anyway, but I haven't had a problem even with shorts and T-shirts where anyone has even noticed. In fact, the other day I was talking to a friend who knows I carry and I mentioned my holster. I actually lifted the T-shirt to show him and he was like "Oh, you're carrying now?" That was after like an hour of being together.

So my point is, if you HAVE to have 0 printing, I can understand the need to go with a smaller frame. But do you really HAVE to have 0 printing or are you being hyper sensitive? And if you really have to, then by all means do what you need to.

Remember, unless people are specifically looking for the firearm in the right place, 99% of the population can't be bothered to notice that you are wearing a shirt, let alone what's under it.

Beowulf

Since you already have a Ruger LCP then you should check out the SR9c or SR40c. Both are not too hard to conceal, are in a caliber larger than .380 and have extended magazines with sleeves on them that turn them into a full-sized gun.

You also might want to check out the Springfield XD-S in either 9mm or .45 since you said that you liked the M&Pc.

Last edited:

joanie

I'm not familar with those guns you mention. I'd say go with what you like and is comfortable. For a long time, I was thinking my ideal carry would be a pair of S&W model 10s, In spite of the fact thats what they used to give to police. I was familar with the smaller S&W model 36, but thought it was only made with a 2 inch barrel. When I found out it could be had in the 3", I found a pair of them and custonized them with bigger pink grips. I had to give up two shots, but 10 should be plenty. Now it's about the hunt for the perfect holsters and I'm taking my time with it. I'd still rather have those 36s with something between 4 and 5 inch barrels, but they'll work.

Take your time, and look at all the choices, if it comes to you like it came to me, you'll know what you want.

mobiushky

No, I am not super sensitive to printing. I simply prefer something more comfortable. I often find myself needing to adjust my shirt because the extra grip length has pulled it around and is now holding it against my fat gut :) I have tried several different holsters and carry positions to fix this but have been unable to get it done. Carry it forward and my pocket becomes useless, carry it back and it really starts to print bad. Take away a bit of grip lengh and that problem stops for whatever reason. I could probably buy a bigger shirt but changing my wardrobe would be more expense than changing the gun. I carry in the city of Charleston almost every day (not illegal but it is unfriendly). Perhaps I didn't fully explain my problem in the OP. Thanks

Makes sense. You wouldn't want comfort to stand in the way of carrying, and that's a valid problem. It's better to fix the comfort issue so that you aren't tempted to not carry. I hope that didn't come across as judgmental, I'm agreeing with you if that helps. :)

I have a G26, well actually my wife has a G26 that sometimes she allows me to play with... LOL. And I've used an M&P9c also. The M&P kind of fits in between the G26 and the G19. That might be a decent option. If you want small have you looked at the M&P Shield 9mm? I haven't shot one, but I've heard that the trigger is incredible. Friend of mine has the Shield in .40S&W. I was going to mention the XD, but I noticed you already commented on them. I do like the idea of the compact with the extended mag that makes the grip longer.

Oh and btw, back to the G26, IF you are thinking that way look into getting the Magpul speed plates. The add a small extension to the mag that gives you an index point for your pinky. But they are not as bulky as the pearce grip extensions. I have both and we stopped using the pearce grips because they kept pinching my wife's fingers badly. With the magpul speedplates that doesn't happen. Just a thought. The difference between the G19 and G26 in comfort is night and day. When I carry the 26 it doesn't really feel like there's anything there. But she only let's me carry it every once in a while... LOL.

Cava3r4

it sounds to me like you have a holster and / or belt problem.
My reasoning is as follows:
Way back when I got my CCW (you had to have it to either OC or CC in MN in 03) I carried a 9mm makarov with a leather (rough side out) Inside the Waist Band holster and a leather belt that was 1-1/2 wide x 1/8 inch thick. The weapon would move around and rub me raw. If I put on my full sized 1911 (a kimber polymer target that holds 14 + 1 rounds of .45 ACP) it would move and be so uncomfortable that I could not wear it. I'd also "print" all the time.
When I was looking to buy a home in AZ, I took the CCW class immediately (it was a 16 hour course with range time back then). The CCW instructor said to me, "you need a good gun belt". I figured "oh crap, I already got one, but I"ll buy it anyhow just to get the guy off my back". Well, he sold me a IHL brand leather belt that is 1-1/2 wide x almost 1/4 inch thick. (double the thickness of that $65 leather dress belt I had).
Man was I HAPPY. All of the sudden my .45 in my c-tac IWB holster with the NEW belt does NOT move and does NOT print. Best dough I ever spent. I carry my full sized double stack 1911 16/7 now (the other 8 I am in bed sleeping).
So, I'd say before you run off and buy a bunch of guns that you try some different holsters and get a REAL good GUN belt.
BTW... I am 5 foot 10 inches and weigh 220 pounds with my 6 pack abs!